Post-Bacc - Is it competitive to be accepted into a Post-Bacc Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JD to MD

Reaction score
I am looking into transition from law to medicine. In so doing, I am hoping to find a post-bacc program that will allow me to continue working, while completing the program.

I am wondering if these programs are competitive? If so, how do I improve me "resume"? Without any medical/science knowledge, or normal working hour availability, how to people get experience volunteering or researching? What volunteer opportunities or research have others been able to do, while maintaining their full time job when trying to obtain their pre-reqs?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you want to keep working, do a DIY post bacc. It’s cheaper and just as good as a formal post bacc. Enroll in your local state school as a second degree seeking student so you get priority enrollment (and financial aid if you want it). I did a DIY and have zero complaints.

Reactions: 2 users
If you need to keep working FT, I like the DIY idea -- Assuming your undergrad years were fairly light on science, you've got a lot of coursework to cover and will need the flexibility a DIY can offer. It'll take a long time though. OR, do a hard-core full time post-bac and just bite the financial bullet.

What you absolutely do NOT want to do is perform poorly in your academics -- a post-bac is an audition so to speak, so more than a very few Bs will kill your chances. You NEED to make sure you will have the time needed to perform at a high caliber.

If you're a junior attorney, that kind of time is probably going to be hard to come by. So decide now how and where you're going to prioritize before you tank both career options...

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to keep working, do a DIY post bacc. It’s cheaper and just as good as a formal post bacc. Enroll in your local state school as a second degree seeking student so you get priority enrollment (and financial aid if you want it). I did a DIY and have zero complaints.

I think I liked the idea of the Linkage the post-bacc options would provide to go right into Med school after the program. Those aren’t options through DIY programs, correct? Or is the connected Med schools option not necessarily worth the more intense program?

I think I liked the idea of the Linkage the post-bacc options would provide to go right into Med school after the program. Those aren’t options through DIY programs, correct? Or is the connected Med schools option not necessarily worth the more intense program?

To my knowledge, most (if not all) of the linkage post-bacc programs are full-time. They are also very expensive and considered "high risk/reward".
If you are looking to continue working, a DIY post-bacc might be your best bet (it's what I did for reinvention).

Reactions: 1 user
Adding a vote for DIY. Unless you’re GPA is borderline and it’s worth the expense and hassle of a formal program to help guarantee entry if you get accepted. If your GPA is good, then DIY is the way to go. Presumably it’s not terrible since it got you to law school.

The requirements for shadowing and volunteering are a bit lighter for working non trads but you still need to check those boxes. Traditional students will have insane numbers in these categories; you essentially just need to demonstrate that you know what you’re getting yourself into. One of the first guys to drop from my med school class was an attorney and there’s definitely a risk taking a working professional into a class because it’s really easy for you to pull the rip cord and go back to a lucrative law practice. You’ll need to convince them that youve done your due diligence and ensured this is really what you want.

What was your undergrad GPA? Linkages often have “fine print” meaning that you have to have a specific uGPA and sGPA to even be considered for linkage. When I first decided to go back to school, I was obsessed with the idea of a formal post bacc and linkage opportunity. You would not be able to work with a formal post bacc, it is very rigorous and crams 2 years worth of pre reqs essentially into one year. You don’t need the linkage if you do well and work hard in your post bacc.

What was your undergrad GPA? Linkages often have “fine print” meaning that you have to have a specific uGPA and sGPA to even be considered for linkage. When I first decided to go back to school, I was obsessed with the idea of a formal post bacc and linkage opportunity. You would not be able to work with a formal post bacc, it is very rigorous and crams 2 years worth of pre reqs essentially into one year. You don’t need the linkage if you do well and work hard in your post bacc.

My undergrad major was finance with a 3.7 GPA, my chem I course was an A, lab was a B. If I do DIY, would I need to retake that?

Most universities in the Philadelphia area that I have looked at seem to offer 2 year postbac programs. Wondering if this would permit continuing to work full time?

My undergrad major was finance with a 3.7 GPA, my chem I course was an A, lab was a B. If I do DIY, would I need to retake that?

Most universities in the Philadelphia area that I have looked at seem to offer 2 year postbac programs. Wondering if this would permit continuing to work full time?
You shouldn't have to retake that chem w/lab provided the course was intended for science majors. If the course was for non-majors and/or nursing majors you might have to retake it.

Whether or not you can work full-time during a 2 year post-bacc is dependent on your job. Do you have to see clients everyday? Are you required to be in the office to do your work? Can you work a modified schedule? Can you work from home? Even if you can work from home, will you be required to check-in from time to time to show them you're working? Post-bacc programs require attendance at classes that are generally offered only during the day (except for some labs which offer evening slots).

If you're keen on doing a post-bacc program in the Philly area, you should go to those schools and ask what the curriculum is like and whether it's doable for a full-time working tax attorney.

Reactions: 1 users
I am looking into transition from law to medicine. In so doing, I am hoping to find a post-bacc program that will allow me to continue working, while completing the program.

I am wondering if these programs are competitive? If so, how do I improve me "resume"? Without any medical/science knowledge, or normal working hour availability, how to people get experience volunteering or researching? What volunteer opportunities or research have others been able to do, while maintaining their full time job when trying to obtain their pre-reqs?
Hi,
I am currently in a post bacc program, however mine is more of a "record enhancement" since my pre requisites are complete for med school, I just didn't really have a competitive GPA or MCAT coming out of undergrad. It sounds like your case searches for more of a program that gets your pre reqs done in a condensed amount of time, which alot of medical schools/graduate colleges do offer (the university where I am doing mine does, I know for a fact). You also can probably apply to undergraduate programs (since that is the coursework you'd be taking), and especially at larger universities, can have a pre-health program tailored toward a condensed time frame so all you really need to worry about is medical school pre-reqs and not work toward an entire four year degree (I also knew a few people that did such, and are in med school now). Being that you would be an accelerated pre-med student, applying for research opportunities may put you a bit more ahead of the game since you're older and more mature than the typical undergrad (at least, PIs may think so), and volunteering is honestly pretty easy to find at local hospitals. If you attend a larger university to get your prereqs done, more often than not there will be a pre-health office/advisor that can assist you with finding clinical and research opportunities that can satisfy a competitive medical school application. Take it from me, the grades should be the top priority, so maybe worry about extracurriculars during the summer when coursework is either light or doesn't exist.
- Buckeye

Hi,
I am currently in a post bacc program, however mine is more of a "record enhancement" since my pre requisites are complete for med school, I just didn't really have a competitive GPA or MCAT coming out of undergrad. It sounds like your case searches for more of a program that gets your pre reqs done in a condensed amount of time, which alot of medical schools/graduate colleges do offer (the university where I am doing mine does, I know for a fact). You also can probably apply to undergraduate programs (since that is the coursework you'd be taking), and especially at larger universities, can have a pre-health program tailored toward a condensed time frame so all you really need to worry about is medical school pre-reqs and not work toward an entire four year degree (I also knew a few people that did such, and are in med school now). Being that you would be an accelerated pre-med student, applying for research opportunities may put you a bit more ahead of the game since you're older and more mature than the typical undergrad (at least, PIs may think so), and volunteering is honestly pretty easy to find at local hospitals. If you attend a larger university to get your prereqs done, more often than not there will be a pre-health office/advisor that can assist you with finding clinical and research opportunities that can satisfy a competitive medical school application. Take it from me, the grades should be the top priority, so maybe worry about extracurriculars during the summer when coursework is either light or doesn't exist.
- Buckeye

I am currently trying to decide whether to apply this cycle with a 3.48 cGPA and 3.3 sGPA and 514 MCAT, my pre reqs are also complete for med school, but since my GPA is relatively low I was thinking about doing a post-bacc program this coming year and delaying applying, but this would mean I would have to retake the MCAT since it expires this year. But how difficult is it to get into a post-bacc program? And does it matter to med schools which post-bacc program you did? And does your program provide prep for MCAT studying also?

I am currently trying to decide whether to apply this cycle with a 3.48 cGPA and 3.3 sGPA and 514 MCAT, my pre reqs are also complete for med school, but since my GPA is relatively low I was thinking about doing a post-bacc program this coming year and delaying applying, but this would mean I would have to retake the MCAT since it expires this year. But how difficult is it to get into a post-bacc program? And does it matter to med schools which post-bacc program you did? And does your program provide prep for MCAT studying also?

Hello! I'm not sure if this is much help as I do have not even completed my career changer post-bacc, but here is some info I have compiled from the last year or so! Are you looking into a SMP program or grade-enhancing program post-bacc? I have had others tell me that SMP's can actually be extremely challenging and sometimes hurt peoples grades. Your current grades are a little low but not awful and your MCAT is pretty good. Here is an actual breakdown of applications/acceptances to medical school by MCAT and GPA. Here is also a break down by school Medical School Acceptance Rates, Average GPA & Average MCAT. You can also calculate your Lizzy M score, which can give you an idea of where you stand LizzyM Score Calculator - What are my chances for medical school? . You may not even need to do a program, but if you do, I would certainly think you sound like a candidate for most grade-enhancing post-baccs, since people with your stats seem to have about 50% acceptance to medical school.