Post Bacc One Year Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dayzed00

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking into post bacc one year programs before applying to med school. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, I assume SMP programs are out of the question? If this topics has been addressed before, please provide the link to the discussion.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I'm looking into post bacc one year programs before applying to med school. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, I assume SMP programs are out of the question? If this topics has been addressed before, please provide the link to the discussion.

Thank you!
Can't answer this without knowing whether you've done the med school prereqs, and your GPA.

"Postbac" means any additional undergrad coursework after an undergrad degree. Not a helpful adjective at all. Note that the "M" in "SMP" means not undergrad therefore not postbac.

Can't answer this without knowing whether you've done the med school prereqs, and your GPA.

"Postbac" means any additional undergrad coursework after an undergrad degree. Not a helpful adjective at all. Note that the "M" in "SMP" means not undergrad therefore not postbac.

DrMidlife, thank you for your prompt response. I received my Bachelor of Science a few years ago, but I did not take all the med prereqs. My cumulative GPA is 3.2 (yes, awful, I know), though my sciences GPA is much higher (probably doesn't matter?). I know NYU, Columbia, and USC all have post bacc, but they are at least 18 months programs. As I'm typing this, I'm thinking about the informal route at NYU or Columbia or maybe Drexel/Temple. I'll probably start a separate post since it's a different topic but just wanted to throw it out there for now. I'm not sure if I can just apply to a school (not even sure to which program) and take the med school prereqs? If I want to join the MCAT preps, do I pay extra?

Members don't see this ad :)
3.2 plus some more undergrad plus an SMP isn't that bad, if you can get A's from here.

The "brand-name" premed postbac programs such as Bryn Mawr, Goucher, probably NYU/Columbia/USC typically don't take you if you've already completed some of the prereqs. They also like to see 3.6+ GPAs.

Depending on what you still need to take, a year is probably reasonable.

Look at programs like UC Berkeley & Harvard Extension. These will let you take what you need, with structure. Also UT Dallas.

I don't get excited about integrated MCAT prep. If the prep isn't as good as Kaplan or TPR, then you're getting ripped off and you might as well do separate prep.

Don't take the MCAT until you're ready to get your best possible score. That said, there are some timing considerations. For SMPs, September is great, January is reasonable, but March is really late. More specifically, if you're applying for Fall 2012 in an SMP, you'll want your app complete in Jan/Feb 2012.

Before you take the MCAT, you'll want to have completed all the prereq coursework except possibly the last part of ochem (2nd semester or 3rd quarter), and you'll want to do separate test prep. (Test prep isn't content acquisition, it's strategy and practice.)

Best of luck to you.

Also, a high science GPA does matter - that's a great asset to protect.