Post bacc or apply AACOMAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed2324

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was a little confused and needed help deciding if I should apply for a post-bacc in March 2020 or apply via AACOMAS to DOs in May 2020. I’m pretty sure you can’t apply to both at the same time. I am not sure if I should apply straight via AACOMAS to DOs May 2020 because I’m not sure if my gpa and ECs would be enough to get in without a post-bacc. I have not yet taken the MCAT. What MCAT would be enough for me to possibly be able to get into DOs without a post-bacc (if there is a high enough MCAT that would be able to make up for my GPA). If I apply to AACOMAS, I will be applying as soon as the cycle opens. Please let me know, thanks!

Schools I plan on applying to: NYITCOM, TouroCOM, PCOM, LECOM, TUN-COM, NSU-COM, CUSOM, DMU-COM, VCOM, KCU-COM, LMU-DCOM, MSUCOM, OU-HCOM, RowanSOM, UNE-COM

ORM

State: New York

BA Psychology

Minor: Biology

December 2018 graduate

cGPA: 3.46

sGPA: 3.32

MCAT: Taking it in March 2020

ECs:

1. Advanced Clinical Associate (500 hours)
  2. Medical Scribe (2000 hours)
  3. Disaster Responder (150 hours)
  4. Patient Navigator (150 hours)
  5. Pharmacy Technician (500 hours)
  6. Legal File Clerk (300 hours)
  7. Blood Drive Committee Member (20 hours)
  8. Psychiatric Shadowing (500 hours)
  9. Research Assistant (200 hours)

8 LORs: 2 bio, 1 chem, 1 physics, 1 psych, 1 MD, 1 DO, committee letter

Members don't see this ad.

As long as your MCAT is at least 500 you should receive interviews at some DO schools with an appropriate list of schools. Post your actual MCAT score her when available.

Reactions: 1 users
As long as your MCAT is at least 500 you should receive interviews at some DO schools with an appropriate list of schools. Post your actual MCAT score her when available.

My MCAT score is a 508. Please let me know, thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools:
NYITCOM
TOURO-NY
UNECOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM
MU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
TUNCOM
AZCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
Do you think I should do an SMP as well just in case to boost my gpa? Or do you think think there is a strong enough chance for me to be accepted if I apply to all 41 DO programs? How competitive would I be?

You do not need to apply to all 41 DO programs. Your MCAT of 508 is competitive for all DO schools. You could add any schools that interest you in addition to the ones I listed above.