Post Bacc or Community College??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ctrin003

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
After years an years of pondering what profession I would be happiest doing, I have come to realize I wanted to pursue Dental. Unfortunately I did horrible in undergrad years.

2.8 sGPA, and 2.8 total GPA with no upward trend.
I know that I need to raise my grades but have already attained my degree in Bio. I don't know what the best option for me is at this time. Would it be better to get a Post bacc? I've heard a lot of people retake courses at community college, is that a good idea? Can I take upper division community college courses, or would that not reflect any improvement since it isn't as rigorous as a university course. Lots of questions... please help me if you can, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I looked into masters programs too, but all need 3.0 undergrad GPA and higher... I'm in a bit of a rut haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats what I was thinking too! Thanks junkemails. Do you know how the whole retaking classes at cc works? I've heard of people doing that because it is cheaper

In my opinion, you shouldn't retake classes at a Community College. You're not really proving anything to dental schools. Do a post-bacc, get a 4.0 with solid classes, and aim for like 22+ DAT.

My situation is very similar to yours, so hopefully this will be of some benefit to you. Since I applied to 8 schools and was accepted to 4 w/only a 3.0 overall and science gpa, you can take this or leave it.

I would go talk to your prehealth professions advisor at the school where you received your degree and let them know your intentions because they likely will be writing your LOR. Get to know him/her/them. As far as courses, if you haven't taken Biochem, A&P, Histology, Immunology, I would select those first and get to know your professors so they can write LORs for you as well. Definitely get the GPA to at least 3.0 b/c I think that is most school's cutoff to even look at you (just my opinion). I took classes at both the University where I received my degree as well as the local community college, so I don't know how big of an issue that is. I would even join the predental/prehealth society if one is offered.

If you've been working since graduating, I would have your manager write an LOR if you are fortunate enough to have them do that.

As for your DAT, you HAVE to do well. Stay committed and you'll do fine. it took me several months to study, but I ended up doing well. I recommend kaplan just as a guide to know what to study as it definitely does not provide enough information. The DAT destroyer will be a good tool for testing how much you really know.

Find volunteer opportunities if you're not doing them already. It doesn't matter what it is (Local soup kitchen, nursing home, church, etc...). If you join your school's predental society, that's a great resource to find extra volunteer opportunities.

Talk to everybody about what you are doing. When you talk about it, people will see how much passion you have, and suddenly opportunities will show themselves. It gives you lots of motivation when you have good support around you.

When people start seeing how much it means to you, it'll be hard to deny you. Hopefully that helps, and stay positive.