Post-bacc or DO for internal medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bioteacher

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on going into internal medicine, but who knows. I got accepted to a post-bac at EVMS and also to a DO school. I am 99% sure I am going to the post-bac unless someone else wants to give me their opinion......

Members don't see this ad.

bioteacher said:
I plan on going into internal medicine, but who knows. I got accepted to a post-bac at EVMS and also to a DO school. I am 99% sure I am going to the post-bac unless someone else wants to give me their opinion......
Why aren't you going to the DO school? Its practically the same thing? Is it a good DO school?

Do you have a stigma against DO? Not believe in the philosophy? If I were you I'd take it but I'm a non-trad and I wouldn't spend more money to get into a school if I'm already in. I don't know your situation though so ...

Additionally along the lines of the stigma ... WHO CARES? WE are all doctors! I think people need to get over the MD vs DO school debate threads because when it boils down to it, DO's are in every profession and specialty out there additionally they have more training in OMT (which isn't always used) and more training in residency. Although most do now take COMLEX and USMLE. It may be a harder track and I think more and more of the myths of DO are being broken. It also depends on your area as well. I don't want to sound biased on my opinion but I feel that people look down on DO's when they don't really even know what they do (and its the same as MD's!). There are differences but I think that those slight differences are changing at least in my experience with the med schools I've had over the past year of my research!

Some links

Princeton Review - I liked this explanation
Another Link too

bioteacher, I'm going to EVMS too and it'd be cool if we can be trench buddies...but I think you should reconsider your decision.

I think you should read some of the DO vs. MD threads in the other forums and maybe you can talk to some current doctors about their views on DO schools.

I don't want to presume in your case, but for most people it's really an issue of negative stigma and pride. If you fit that bill, then I think you should ask yourself whether that stigma and pride are worth $40,000 in expenses and an extra year before completing your training. If the answer is yes, then you should go to EVMS. If no, then you should go to the DO school.

good luck

All other things equal, I'd definitely go with the DO education.