Post bacc or Job Advice

Started by hikerdr
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hikerdr

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The first couple years of my undergrad at a my state university were very poor, due to illness and other family issues. However my last 2 years have been pretty competitive, especially for mid tier medical schools. This drastic upward trend has brought my cGPA up to a very non-competitive 3.07.
After my first couple years I kinda thought my chance at med school had passed, and I came to terms with that, found a great program in the sciences that had great job prospects, and continued on. As I overcame my initial academic challenges my grades drastically improved. But I still figured medical school was beyond my reach.
I pursued my alternate career path and I have been able to secure a great job offer by a large Fortune 100 company. Great salary, good benefits, in a good location, with lots of room for upward growth. But on a whim I also applied to a Post Bacc program with a great linkages into their med program. I wasn't completely sure I would even be a competive applicant because, even though I have done all the prerequisites, I have never taken the MCAT(good GRE score though) or really even planned on med school for over two years.
But as luck would have it, I was accepted into the postbacc program and now I have to make the decision between continuing on with my employment with this large F100 company or to pursue medical school by attempting this post bacc program.
I have always wanted to pursue medicine but due to extenuating circumstances felt I probably wouldn't be able to do it. Right now I am leaning toward the postbacc program, but am wanting a little advice to push me over the cliff of medical school.
So what advice would you give me? Should I take the risk and do the postbacc? Or should I continue on in my employment?
 
I found myself in a similar situation last year (Super conflicted about doing a last ditch SMP or taking a job offer, what would you do?), and I sort of find myself in the same situation now. My advice (and the advice I got when I made my thread): ask if you can defer for a year and do the job. I took this job two years after graduation and wish I took it right after graduation. It feels good to have a little money in the bank. To be able to take a couple of weeks off to travel (I used literally all of my vacation days on international travel).

I notice that your username is hikerdr, which gives me the impression that we may share interests in hiking/travel. Doing that kind of stuff while focusing on academics is hard - and once you start down the med school path, it is hard to get off and do that stuff if you want to. On the other hand, I met many people while traveling who took months off of work to travel.

Originally my plan was to only have this job for a year, but then I quickly got promoted and am debating going to the SMP. Although I am leaning towards the SMP after putting it off for a couple of years, I still like my job and worry that I might burn bridges if I want to come back (I'm leaving three months after my promotion to a new position).

I know you want us to tell you to do the postbacc, I felt the same way when I made my thread. But my true opinion is that you should delay for a year and take the job. That is the same advice I got when I asked, and I am very glad I took it.