post bacc or upper level science courses?

Started by msmems
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

msmems

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone --

I recently decided that I want to pursue medical school and am looking for some advice on what to do next -- I graduated from college 4 years ago from a top 20 university, with a premed and psychology degree. My overall gpa was a 3.43 -- my science was much lower -- only about a 3.1. Since graduating, I have worked as a research assistant for several clinical trials. I have not yet taken the MCAT -- as of right now, I am planning on studying for it using Examkracker or Kaplan review books and am hoping to be ready to take the Jan MCAT...I guess I will soon find out how much I remember from 4 years ago.... I know that I definitely need to up my science gpa before applying -- and so I am trying to decide if I should also enroll into a full post-bacc program and go through all of the basic science courses again, or if I should instead just take a few upper level science courses (biochem, physio, etc)? Would taking just a few extra courses be good enough? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!!