Post Bacc Personal Statement....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

latebloomer7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else but I am having SUCH A HARD TIME writing my personal statement for application to post bacc programs. I feel like I have a thousand angles to write from and just can't put anything into one coherent essay! Has anyone else written one, and what did you write?
In a nutshell, my grades first year out of high school, in college are awful. Plain truth is that I was more than just a little immature and totally not ready for college. Nor was I interested in it.

After that I took about 6 years to get my BA. GPA 3.4. My ex fiance up and left me out of the blue during my last year of college so my grades aren't as strong as they should have been for that final year because I could hardly concentrate in class at that point.

Now I work at Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center and am really, really focused on this. I want to get into a post bacc program, and I KNOW I can succeed and do really great! I just can't get my story into 500 words or less.....any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

for your essay, i would do the following:
intro: short bio about yourself in undergrad like what you majored in, what clubs/organization you were involved in, etc.
body: why you want to enter post-bacc. why you're choosing the school: dept/field that you're interested in studying. think what the school is best known for. what you plan on doing with the post-bacc degree. ultimate goal is to enter med school.
conclusion: state your determination to succeed. note that your past mistakes have helped you realize and become more mature. you're ready and focused to enter the medical field.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there -
I just applied to a postbac as well. Writing the statement was hard - I focused on relevant biographical information, my career choice (software engineer for 7 years), and finally why I want to be in med school. Writing all this under 500 can be difficult. Good luck to you!

If just write your med school personal statement with an addition of why this school or program would help you achieve that.

hey, i'm not applying to a post-bacc program, but i am applying to the bio-sciences program at Northwestern (to complete my undergrad degree). the personal statement is killing me! thanks, for this little outline. i will try it out :D

for your essay, i would do the following:
intro: short bio about yourself in undergrad like what you majored in, what clubs/organization you were involved in, etc.
body: why you want to enter post-bacc. why you're choosing the school: dept/field that you're interested in studying. think what the school is best known for. what you plan on doing with the post-bacc degree. ultimate goal is to enter med school.
conclusion: state your determination to succeed. note that your past mistakes have helped you realize and become more mature. you're ready and focused to enter the medical field.