Post-bacc program questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chof2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a new writer on this forum but have been reading for the last several months. My situation is as follows:

I am a junior undergrad student with a 3.5 GPA majoring in psychology with a philosophy and religion minor.
About a year ago, I decided to go the premed route, but after taking the first bio class, which I got a B+ on, I was talking to a prof who did the post-bacc route and he strongly suggested this to me as a way to focus on my GPA in college and then go on to do the prereqs. My GPA wasn't necessarily bad after that class, around a 3.4 or so. As far as research goes, I am a research assistant now and am planning on doing a senior thesis next year.

I have not had much volunteering or work in the field as of now. However, I live in Hershey, PA and have a job lined up at the hospital working with fMRI studies. Also, next winter, I am going to be spending 2-4 weeks in Hunduras with a former doctor of Hershey Medical Center while he performs various operations. I have also shadowed a surgeon, but only for a couple of days last summer.

So, my information would be a 3.5 GPA with the related work in the field just mentioned. In high school, studies were not nearly as important to me as they are now, and my SAT scores were between an 1150-1180 (haven't looked at them since my senior year).

My several questions are: first, just wanted to make sure that the one bio class wont really hurt my chances of getting into a program. Second, my top choices as of now are Bryn Mawr and Goucher, of course. I am also looking into many other programs as well though. Do I have a realistic shot at Bryn Mawr or Goucher, or not? I was looking at Temple, but I am planning on starting in 2010, when I graduate and they start classes the day after my graduation. Bryn Mawr and Goucher are my top two because they have the linkage with Temple, which I is my top med school right now. My last question is with my SAT scores what they are, would it be a smart decision to take the GREs?

Members don't see this ad.

My several questions are: first, just wanted to make sure that the one bio class wont really hurt my chances of getting into a program. Second, my top choices as of now are Bryn Mawr and Goucher, of course. I am also looking into many other programs as well though. Do I have a realistic shot at Bryn Mawr or Goucher, or not? I was looking at Temple, but I am planning on starting in 2010, when I graduate and they start classes the day after my graduation. Bryn Mawr and Goucher are my top two because they have the linkage with Temple, which I is my top med school right now. My last question is with my SAT scores what they are, would it be a smart decision to take the GREs?

(1) No, it won't.

(2) Sure, just focus on acing your classes.

(3) Absolutely; this really isn't an option. I would advise you take this summer as an opportunity to study for the GRE and take it right before school starts. It's important that you, and everybody else watching out there, understand that from here on out it's all about standardized tests (MCAT/USMLE/etc...). These top post-bacc programs need to see that you can crush a standardized test.

I am a new writer on this forum but have been reading for the last several months. My situation is as follows:

I am a junior undergrad student with a 3.5 GPA majoring in psychology with a philosophy and religion minor.
About a year ago, I decided to go the premed route, but after taking the first bio class, which I got a B+ on, I was talking to a prof who did the post-bacc route and he strongly suggested this to me as a way to focus on my GPA in college and then go on to do the prereqs. My GPA wasn't necessarily bad after that class, around a 3.4 or so. As far as research goes, I am a research assistant now and am planning on doing a senior thesis next year.

I have not had much volunteering or work in the field as of now. However, I live in Hershey, PA and have a job lined up at the hospital working with fMRI studies. Also, next winter, I am going to be spending 2-4 weeks in Hunduras with a former doctor of Hershey Medical Center while he performs various operations. I have also shadowed a surgeon, but only for a couple of days last summer.

So, my information would be a 3.5 GPA with the related work in the field just mentioned. In high school, studies were not nearly as important to me as they are now, and my SAT scores were between an 1150-1180 (haven't looked at them since my senior year).

I responded to your post in the Bryn Mawr thread, but I should mention that Temple postbac has a linkage with their own med school. I hear it's hard to achieve, but it does exist.