Post-bacc programs in the Chicagoland area?

Started by Katharos
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Katharos

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, everyone,

I am a rising sophomore at the University of Chicago who is hoping to major in Philosophy and Allied Fields, with my allied field being Biology, as I have quite an interest in medical ethics and morality in general. I am not pre-med, as I am undecided as to what I would like my career to be and do not want to sacrifice my GPA on physics and chemistry courses, which are notorious here for grade deflation, when I could take those courses somewhere else after college and receive better grades. (As is, my GPA is not stellar, at 3.2, although I hope to up that during my next three years.)

Due to my possible major, I very well may have my pre-med biology requirements fulfilled, and I already have taken college calculus. However, I still would need those physics and chem courses after college.

I specifically am interested in post-bacc programs in the Chicagoland area for students who have completed some pre-med requirements but still have others to fulfill. I know that Northwestern and Loyola have programs, and UIC used to have one, although I cannot find any information about it on their web site, so it may no longer exist. Are there any others of which I should be aware? The lower the pricetag, the better, generally, although high med school acceptance rates are important.

Obviously, I am very new to this, so any information would be much appreciated!
 
NU has a good program but it's tough and grades here are probably just as "deflated" as they are at U of C.
 
Loyola's program is for students who have not completed ANY of the pre-reqs. While I have met people who may have had one of the required classes, Loyola's website clearly states having completed any of the pre-reqs (bio, gen chem, orgo, phys) prior to enrollment may have a negative impact on ones application. If you're interested in Loyola however, give them a call.