post-bacc special masters programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cHocoBo 118

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. It seems that the majority of post-baccers in here are from a non premed background. I was wondering if there was anyone that came from a premed background and are going through "enrichment" programs such as the special masters program at georgetown. I'm specifically curious about Columbia, UPenn and Gtown. Any insight will be appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I second that.

It really does look like alot of posters for this forum are interested in career changer programs, whereas I (and apparently choco) am hoping to hear more about the short track master's programs in biomedical sciences, med prep (Drexel), applied physiology or even MPH ( or the Master of Science in Population Health Sciences offered at my school).

From what I have seen and heard, these programs are all very hard to get in to, which really defeats the purpose of enhancement, eh?

Otherwise, I am gonna go back and get a 2nd bachelor's degree...

What do you guys think?

go with a masters...thats what im doing right now and I am getting my MPH in EPI in 3 semesters...taking the MCAT in april and hopefully will be able to do good so I can be a competitive candiadate..(since my undergrad was not stellar

Members don't see this ad :)
Choco and Nweb,

I am one of those non-science post-baccs. But I have some undergrad pre-med friends who tried to enhance their applications through a masters. Of the 4, 1 eventually got in. I would recommend finding a master's program you want to do independent of its enrichment for medical school. Perhaps public health interests you, so a MPH might work. Perhaps you like a certain science, so a Masters in that field could prove helpful.

Find a program you're excited about and that will also aid in advancing your medical pursuits.

Hi everyone,

I'm currently a post-bacc student at the University of Pennsylvania in the Special Science Program. Its not a remedial program, as my fellow students and I often laugh at the implications of the name, rather its for students who have either applied to medical school already and been rejected (submission of MCAT scores are required if you've taken them). A large number of students are also there for strengthening their applications before the process. Many of these students fall into the "extenuating personal circumstances", such as myself.

You can take it full or part time. There is also a "traditional" post-bacc program there as well, and many of your classmates are those students. Its a fairly large community. The minimun time spent there is six courses, although many students take more, depending on your history and what the dean (Dr. Hunter, shes a doll!) thinks is best.

A few of the students have gotten together and started a student group the Post-Bacc Pre-Health Society (or something to that effect) to bring more cohesion and unity to the programs.

If youre interested I can send you some links and tell you more about the program.

As a member of the "not so stellar undergrad grades" club on SDN, I would like to respectfully disagree with those who recommend the MPH. During my personal journey through the process of getting into medical school, I have come to the conclusion that those of us with only average or slightly above average stats need an "in". Unfortunately, the public health route dosnt provide this. A "special" masters program does. The catch is, these programs are often competitive, expensive, and if you crap the bed in the post-bacc its the end for your U.S. medical school hopes. I would investigate these programs further and try to get some opinions from people on and off SDN. SDN tends to attract more positive posters. Good luck. I know G-town, UPENN and Drexel all have good programs. Besides, if our not into public health or basic sciences, you wont be happy doing that for a living in the case that you never get in.

Originally posted by Mouseman
A "special" masters program does. The catch is, these programs are often competitive, expensive, and if you crap the bed in the post-bacc its the end for your U.S. medical school hopes.

I couldn't agree more with your last sentence.. regardless of what program you enter ("special" masters or MPH), you must do extremely well, and make yourself stand out.. If you do poorly or just OK, you essentially put the nail in the coffin.. As a successful product of the UMDNJ masters (got into several med schools, incl both NJ schools), I viewed this program as my last opportunity to prove to med schools and myself that I could really cut it.. and all the hard work has finally paid off.. There was definitely a contingent of people who slacked off and assumed that just because they were IN the program, that they were automatically IN the medical school--those folks have not gotten in.

good luck!
abbeacon

I would disagree with the notion that "just doing OK" will kill your chances. As far as Georgetown went, you really had to slack off to do badly (they really helped the students in terms of finding ways to "massage" the grading curves for our benefit). As long as you had above a 3.0, you hadn't put that nail in the coffin. I had an undergrad SGPA of ~2.8, CGPA of ~3.0, and I only had a 3.2 in the program (halfway through the year, my mother was almost killed in an accident and that had me a "little" distracted). So far, I'm in at an osteopathic school, and I have three interviews coming up at allopathic schools. Of course, it certainly helps if you do outstandingly well in the program, but as long as you at least "keep up" and don't flunk out, you'll be fine.

And doing well isn't that hard if you're focused -- I had one friend whose undergrad GPA was supposedly similar to mine, and she finished with almost a 4.0 and is now a first year at G'town.

I did the Drexel post-bacc (MSP then IMS). Do a search under my username and then PM me with questions.

Cheers,
WISC-ite