Post-bacc to retake prereqs- GPA implications?

Started by CTexile
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CTexile

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I'm contemplating retaking all the pre-req classes given the length of time that has passed since I first took them (as long as 8 years for some subjects, finished my undergrad in 2000). I will do this either through a formal post-bacc program (if I can find one that is doable at night, which may not be possible) or simply by taking them a la carte at a local university.

My question relates to the GPA implications of doing this. I had ok undergrad GPAs, though they're not great by pre-med standards: 3.55 overall, 3.29 BCPM. Would retaking these classes be allowed to add to my GPA since I already took them for credit years ago? I could certainly use the bump-up that acing a post-bacc would provide- I'm just curious.
 
For allo schools, the grades average out. For DO schools, they take the most recent grade.
 
Thanks- that's promising 🙂 Though it could be very promising or only promising 😛

By example:

Say my undergrad BCPM was 3.3 over 45 credits (I don't have transcripts in front of me so this won't be my precise situation). Then say I do a post-bacc of some sort and bang out a 4.0 over 24 credits. Does it get calculated on a subject by subject basis (that is, if I got a B in OChem2 before and an A this time, is that now an A-/B+ calculated at a 3.5)? Or do the credits get tacked on addatively (so I'd have a new BCPM calculated on the basis of 69 credits)?

In the above scenario, averaging by subject would net me a 3.53 BCPM, while if it was addative, it would only be a 3.39, so it is a substantial difference.

I'm probably not explaining this terribly well (doing this from work is probably a bad idea in the first place 😳 ), but am curious. I'm glad I'll be able to bump up somewhat this way, and would be thrilled if I could push up into the 3.5+ BCPM range.