post bacc vs masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nena

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay, here's my situation: my undergrad sci gpa is really low..like a 2.5 and my cumulative gpa is a 2.9. i graduated 2 years ago and then went to med school in a foreign country. i did 1.5 years and came back this march to do the mcat. i got into a masters program to get an ms in med micro & immuno. my question is, should i go ahead and do the ms or should i do post bacc instead?? i just don't know if taking some undergrad classes would be best to boost my sci gpa or if i should start new with a masters...

what to do...what to do.... :confused: :confused: :confused: any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

nena said:
okay, here's my situation: my undergrad sci gpa is really low..like a 2.5 and my cumulative gpa is a 2.9. i graduated 2 years ago and then went to med school in a foreign country. i did 1.5 years and came back this march to do the mcat. i got into a masters program to get an ms in med micro & immuno. my question is, should i go ahead and do the ms or should i do post bacc instead?? i just don't know if taking some undergrad classes would be best to boost my sci gpa or if i should start new with a masters...

what to do...what to do.... :confused: :confused: :confused: any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

In your case, I think that you should do a post bac to push your cumulative over a three. Or you should go for the masters while taking a few undergrad classes here and there to push your cumulative over a three. I'm in a similar situation and I'm doing a master's because of the fact that I have so many undergrad credits that it would take a substantial amount of classes to boost my gpa significantly enough. I was also accepted into a foreign med school and have deferred my admissions for the past two years actually while I pursued a master's degree. We'll see if it was all worth it when this entire application cycle is complete. If you don't mind me asking, why are you leaving the foreign med school? Which one were you at? You can PM me if you don't want to post the info on the site.