emeraldsky

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hi everyone. For those of you who read this already, I apologize-- this whole webforum thread thing is quite new to me.

My basic question is which is more important: the reputation of the university or the reputation of the program itself? I know it's hotly debated but I would appreciate an insight into what you all have heard.

I did mediocre as an undergrad at an Ivy League university. I am looking into NYU or CUNY-Hunter Post-baccs, possibly even extending to NJ. (These are quite reputable and location is the key factor for various reasons.) But many people are really discouraging these options because they tell me none of these schools has the reputation that an Ivy League school has although the post-bacc programs themselves have great reputations.

Does the reputation of the program outweigh the reputation of the school?

djyujin

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2006
Portland, OR
Status
Medical Student
From what I've read, and I've literally gone through a lot of threads under the postbac part of the forum, I'd say that the reputation of the post bac is more important. The reputation that a school has, e.g. an ivy league (I'm an ivy alum as well) I think depends on a lot of various factors, research, faculty, all that. But for somebody looking to improve stats, I think a reputable postbac program is a LOT better than just going to any school that has a "good" name.

TiggidyTooth

15+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2002
hot town usa
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
djyujin said:
From what I've read, and I've literally gone through a lot of threads under the postbac part of the forum, I'd say that the reputation of the post bac is more important. The reputation that a school has, e.g. an ivy league (I'm an ivy alum as well) I think depends on a lot of various factors, research, faculty, all that. But for somebody looking to improve stats, I think a reputable postbac program is a LOT better than just going to any school that has a "good" name.
I couldn't agree more. Go to a program that is known for placing students into medical school with a high success rate, not the one with the most nobel prize laureates.

Tooth

mynamewastaken

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2005
Status
TiggidyTooth said:
I couldn't agree more. Go to a program that is known for placing students into medical school with a high success rate, not the one with the most nobel prize laureates.

Tooth

I would agree as well. I think when it comes to undergraduate schools, you can do well anywhere and go to med school. I am in the exact same position as you...went to penn and have gone back to do my post bacc work there....for me the decision came down to exactly what you said. Having done mediocre as an undergrad I knew I had to improve my GPA...the advice I found, however, was going to Hunter (which i strongly considered) might not prove to anyone that I was capable of doing well. In other words I was told I might apply to med school having a low GPA from Penn would not be compensated by doing well in a few classes at a Hunter. I would do what is best for you...location, tution, etc...many students have gone to cuny schools and done well so it's not impossible....but doing well at a reputable program can be a nice ticket to med school....my thoughts

OP
emeraldsky

emeraldsky

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
thanks to everyone for all their input. i really appreciate the sharing of what you've heard and such. keep 'em coming and best of luck with whever you go.