Post Bacc While Applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dle102

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am going to do a post bacc that is going to start this summer, and was wondering if I should apply concurrent with attending the post bacc. My gpa is sitting at a 3.0 and I have a decent mcat. I reside in Texas, and planning to apply to schools all over including my own state. If that helps answer the question.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Why are you doing a post-bacc?

If for GPA repair (which I believe is part) then you won't have any significant improvement on your GPA from your post bacc classes - therefore wait.

If to take the pre-req classes you need then think about how your GPA/MCAT scores compare with the applicant pools of the schools you are considering. For MD & DO a 3.0 is very low these days so unless you have a high MCAT coupled with a strong upward trend with your year-over-year GPA I'd also suggest you wait.

The only concurrent MD app that makes sense here would be if your "postbac" is an SMP with very high results for same-year-as-SMP MD apps. Such as EVMS, Temple, Cincinnati, Tulane ACP, maybe RFU, maybe Gtown.

If you're applying DO, you can probably apply concurrently, given a decent MCAT.

Otherwise I agree w/copacetic, wait until you have the postbac assets in hand before you apply. Med schools aren't going to hold a 3.0 app for planned updates - there are too many apps in the pile

Best of luck to you.

As long as you can get all the prereqs finished in time then go for it, but I would recommend getting a few more A's to up that GPA to at least a 3.1 before applying. If invited to an interview make sure you are in the position to honestly tell them you are getting straight A's, and that GPA will be up even more by the time you finish and attend the med school.