post-bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ndb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to start taking the prerequisites in the fall for dental school. I have a B.B.A. in Finance and only have BIOL I completed. I am thinking about taking BIOL II, CHEM I, and PHYS I in the Fall. Would it be feasible to have a part-time job with this course load? As a non-traditional (business degree) pre-dental student, do I need to complete more than the minimum requirements in order to have a competetive application. My overall GPA is a 3.77 right now.

Members don't see this ad.

It would be wise to have a few other upper division science classes so that the schools can see your ability in science courses. Just make sure the GPA stays at the 3.77 mark you had before and you should do fine. I'd include an anatomy/phisiology class and a biochem course.

I did a structured post-bacc program that took two years. I'm from a liberal arts background and personally don't think its such a good idea to have a part time job upon going back to school for the first time. Also, I only took two courses per semester on average, with some volunteer work thrown in and it was rough. Maybe you'd consider just taking classes your first semester and seeing how you adjust to the course load. I'm currently working in a lab environment, waiting for dental school to start. Let me know if you want any more input.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did a structured post-bacc program that took two years. I'm from a liberal arts background and personally don't think its such a good idea to have a part time job upon going back to school for the first time. Also, I only took two courses per semester on average, with some volunteer work thrown in and it was rough. Maybe you'd consider just taking classes your first semester and seeing how you adjust to the course load. I'm currently working in a lab environment, waiting for dental school to start. Let me know if you want any more input.

I will be re-taking the DAT in July and starting my post-bacc in sept, but am planning to re-apply in june. Thus my app will have only new "planned coursework". Will the adcoms hold my app until late December when grades come out, or do I still have a chance at interviews/acceptance?

When did you apply in relation to your post-bacc?

I started the post-bacc fall of 04, finished coursework in spring of 06. For the past year, I've been taking additional courses and working. I submitted my application in August of 06. The best thing you can o is get your app in as early as possible, whether or not all the pieces are together.