Post Baccalaureate Programs help

Started by Katie215
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Katie215

New Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, So i am currently an RN, I have been working as an RN for a year but before I switched my major to Nursing, I was Psych/Premed, however I thought getting my BSN would be faster and better for me as I finished college within 4 years after High school. Well now I decided that I still want to pursue a career in medicine since I am not satisfied with being a nurse or getting a higher degree in nursing because everything in nursing is broad, and for me I like to understand concepts from a micro to macro level . Anyways so I took gen chem I/II with lab, Microbiology, and Anatomy and physiology I/II which in which i received an A in all but gen chem II. I graduated with a BSN, 3.89 GPA, summa cum laude from Thomas Jefferson University school of nursing and I am looking into post baccalaureate programs in order to finish the premed prerequisites however most ask for SAT scores. I never cared much in HS and scored pretty low out of 2400, i got 1360/2400 which was pretty terrible. I am wondering how the SAT scores are weighed among everything else. Does anyone have experience with this? I am currently looking at Temple's post bac program and Bryn Mawr's
 
Hello, So i am currently an RN, I have been working as an RN for a year but before I switched my major to Nursing, I was Psych/Premed, however I thought getting my BSN would be faster and better for me as I finished college within 4 years after High school. Well now I decided that I still want to pursue a career in medicine since I am not satisfied with being a nurse or getting a higher degree in nursing because everything in nursing is broad, and for me I like to understand concepts from a micro to macro level . Anyways so I took gen chem I/II with lab, Microbiology, and Anatomy and physiology I/II which in which i received an A in all but gen chem II. I graduated with a BSN, 3.89 GPA, summa cum laude from Thomas Jefferson University school of nursing and I am looking into post baccalaureate programs in order to finish the premed prerequisites however most ask for SAT scores. I never cared much in HS and scored pretty low out of 2400, i got 1360/2400 which was pretty terrible. I am wondering how the SAT scores are weighed among everything else. Does anyone have experience with this? I am currently looking at Temple's post bac program and Bryn Mawr's

Hey! I applied to Bryn Mawr on Monday (9/26) to submit within the EA deadline (10/6). I was actually just looking at Temple's BCMS Post-Bac yesterday and will likely apply (although I don't think the application goes live until 10/15).

Tell me if I read this correctly, but under Temple's "Requirements" tab on the Admission's page for the program, they state: "The required cumulative SAT score is 1400 out of 1600 points (combined Critical Reading and Math sections), with no section less than 650." I think that applies to both the ACMS and the BCMS programs? However, it can't never hurt to contact them and discuss.

I don't think Bryn Mawr has minimum SAT score, but I know the program is competitive. Fortunately you have a very strong undergrad GPA. For Bryn Mawr, I would maybe send a note that explains your SAT score and be sure to highlight your very strong performance since then? Just a thought. Good luck!
 
Another thought to keep in mind: Bryn Mawr requires that students have taken fewer than half of the required courses before matriculation, or that you took the classes more than 5 years ago. Not sure when you finished your BSN.

Have you looked at going back to Jeff? I know their "P4" program is young, but I chatted with an admissions rep and it seemed encouraging. They have linkages with Jeff and PCOM.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, So i am currently an RN, I have been working as an RN for a year but before I switched my major to Nursing, I was Psych/Premed, however I thought getting my BSN would be faster and better for me as I finished college within 4 years after High school. Well now I decided that I still want to pursue a career in medicine since I am not satisfied with being a nurse or getting a higher degree in nursing because everything in nursing is broad, and for me I like to understand concepts from a micro to macro level . Anyways so I took gen chem I/II with lab, Microbiology, and Anatomy and physiology I/II which in which i received an A in all but gen chem II. I graduated with a BSN, 3.89 GPA, summa cum laude from Thomas Jefferson University school of nursing and I am looking into post baccalaureate programs in order to finish the premed prerequisites however most ask for SAT scores. I never cared much in HS and scored pretty low out of 2400, i got 1360/2400 which was pretty terrible. I am wondering how the SAT scores are weighed among everything else. Does anyone have experience with this? I am currently looking at Temple's post bac program and Bryn Mawr's

Temple has a minimum SAT score requirement of 1400 for math + verbal
 
Thomas Jefferson also has a postbac program too! just wanted to mention it since its close location wise to the other two you mentioned.
 
Thomas Jefferson also has a postbac program too! just wanted to mention it since its close location wise to the other two you mentioned.
That's a good point. I spoke to a very friendly admissions counselor there. The TJU program is relatively young which gives you some flexibility. They offer 1-year and 2-year programs, although 2-years seems like a pretty long amount of time/money to spend on premed req's. They also have linkages with TJU and PCOM (MCAT required for both). May be worth looking in to.