Post Call Day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

copacetic

Copacetic Was Here!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just got two things i'm curious about. first of all, is it typical that anesthesiologists do in house call or take call from home? second do anesthesiologist typically have the post call day off if they do in house call? it would seem to make sense.

Members don't see this ad.

just got two things i'm curious about. first of all, is it typical that anesthesiologists do in house call or take call from home? second do anesthesiologist typically have the post call day off if they do in house call? it would seem to make sense.

Some anesthesiologists take in house call and some don't.
Most anesthesiologists have post call day off but some don't.
:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been an anesthesia resident for 2 years and have left between 630-700 am every day except on THursday Morning report when we leave at.....800.

Most of the residency programs have the post call day off and many if not most leaving by 700AM.:)

Another reason I chose anesthesia...get home ny 730-900 and sleep till 1-2PM and still have the rest of the day to do stuff!

No idea about private practice.

As a resident so far I've been out of the hospital at a max of 8AM...but usually 7-730AM.

Our attendings have a similar 'out' time. Also if our attendings are 'first call' they come in only at 3 or 4 PM. So not bad for them.

As a resident so far I've been out of the hospital at a max of 8AM...but usually 7-730AM.

Our attendings have a similar 'out' time. Also if our attendings are 'first call' they come in only at 3 or 4 PM. So not bad for them.

how often is your guys' call?

the ASA REQUIRES anesthesiology residency programs give residents their post call day off after in house call. so no matter which program you're in, you should be getting that day off.

leaving at 7am is a beautiful thing...

how often is your guys' call?

Our call is 4 to 5 times per month....with it being a little heavier (5 to 6) in June/July/August when CA3's are graduating and new CA1's are starting.

I actually enjoy call when it's about 5 times per month.....After your normal shift you only have approx 12 hours left until you go home at 7AM and have the post day off.....Breaks up the week a liitle. (Instead of working 5 straight days on with no call).