Post-Deadline Rank Lists 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sudaaaamnadex

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
No more pointless SDN gamesmanship! Now that it's past the point of no return:

1. OHSU
2. UW
3. UCLA
4. UCSD
5. Northwestern
6. Cornell
7. NYU
8. BIDMC
9. Utah

Hello, future anesthesiology applicants: I hope this thread is helpful. Serious best of luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
1) Loyola
2) Rush
3) Iowa
4) Umass
5) Cook county
6) Cleveland clinic florida
7) UF jacksonville
8) Indiana
9) Albany

Anyone else happen to put Loyola high on their list?

Reactions: 1 users
1) Mt Sinai
2) NW
3) Wash U
4) U Chicago
5) Cornell
6) U Michigan
7) Columbia
8) UPMC
9) NYU

A bit different than what I previously posted. No connections to NE or Midwest haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Went up to 8:45 deciding. Are we only doing top 9?

1. UofM
2. UPMC
3. WashU
4. NYU
5. NW
6. Wake
7. UAB
8. UVA
9. Dartmouth

Still not sure how I feel, hope I picked right :/...

1. UCSF
2. BWH
3. UCLA
4. UCSD
5. MGH
6. Stanford
7. Mt. Sinai
8. Columbia
9. UNC
10. Duke
11. Johns Hopkins
12. NYU

CCF
Montefiore
Kendall
Umass
Buffalo
Upstate
SUNY Downstate
Henry Ford
Advocate
UT houston
LSU
St. Elizabeth
Cook County
Iowa

No fancy places in my list. Happy nevertheless

Reactions: 4 users
1. BWH
2. Mt. Sinai
3. MGH
4. Stanford
5. UPMC
6. Mayo
7. NW
8. UChicago
9. BIDMC
10. Penn
11. CCF

1. Beaumont
2. Uconn
3. AGH
4. Rush
5. Baystate
6. Toledo
7. Loyola
8. Henry Ford
9. Case Western UH
10. NYMC

I really loved Beaumont and Uconn. I would be ecstatic with 1 or 2, very happy with 3-5, and pleased with anything probs down from there

1) Loyola
2) Rush
3) Iowa
4) Umass
5) Cook county
6) Cleveland clinic florida
7) UF jacksonville
8) Indiana
9) Albany

Anyone else happen to put Loyola high on their list?

I thought very highly of Loyola. Really liked the PD and the faculty that I met. Residents seemed very happy. Sounded a bit like a workhorse program. Great clinical exposure with lots of transplants and good hearts. In the end I ranked it lower on my list for two reasons: I wasn't thrilled with the location, and some concern about the hit on their reputation as a result of the probation. However, in my mind anyone training there would come out as a very clinically skilled anesthesiologist.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. OHSU
2. UW
3. Utah
4. Maryland
5. Harbor-UCLA
6. Arizona
7. MCW
8. New Mexico
9. Baystate

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

1. University of Kansas
2. UT Houston
3. Texas A&M
4. Loma Linda
5. Iowa
6. Miami
7. CCF
8. Oklahoma
9. Rush
10. UIC

Interested in pain fellowship

Good luck to all of the applicants! Now that the lists are submitted, hopefully everyone can just sit back and relax. Try and catch your breath before the start of intern year so you can make the most of residency. And congratulations on making it to this point, it is no small accomplishment.

1. Stanford
2. MGH
3. UPMC
4. BWH
5. Mt. Sinai
6. Duke
7. UCSF
8. Vandy
9. UNC
10. BID
11. Baylor
12. UPenn

Only 22 days until the match! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
1. UCLA
2. Cornell
3. USC
4. UC Irvine
5. UC Davis
6. UT Houston
7. UTSW
8. Loma Linda
9. Maryland
10. Jackson Memorial
11. NYU

Phew. Good luck everyone!

I thought very highly of Loyola. Really liked the PD and the faculty that I met. Residents seemed very happy. Sounded a bit like a workhorse program. Great clinical exposure with lots of transplants and good hearts. In the end I ranked it lower on my list for two reasons: I wasn't thrilled with the location, and some concern about the hit on their reputation as a result of the probation. However, in my mind anyone training there would come out as a very clinically skilled anesthesiologist.

Yeah I had a similar experience. I personally think the clinical training out of all of the schools on my list was at Loyola, they do a ton of transplants, trauma and cardiac with residents basically in the drivers seat for most of those cases. I am also trying to stay in Chicago because my SO has to stay in Chicago so I have my fingers crossed. I believe the NRMP reported a 1% increase in the number of applicant into anesthesiology this year from last year. However, quite a few new programs opened up as well as some other programs increasing the amount of spots they have available so I am hoping that we will be just as successful is not more successful than last years match!

Last edited:
No more pointless SDN gamesmanship! Now that it's past the point of no return:

What would be the point of gamemanship to other applicants? I could be the best applicant both on paper and off, but even if I put your #1 as my #1 and tell you about it it should have no effect on how you ranked programs. And I somewhat doubt that programs take the time to cross reference previous posts to decide how you ranked them to have it effect their decision.

The only way I could see it matter is if you look back at someone's posts and see that for example: mnbmen seems like someone I would hate to spend any amount of time with so Im going to make my list opposite of theirs.

Not an attack on your starting this thread, I'm just confused at why people would be afraid to be honest before the deadline but would be honest now.

What would be the point of gamemanship to other applicants? I could be the best applicant both on paper and off, but even if I put your #1 as my #1 and tell you about it it should have no effect on how you ranked programs. And I somewhat doubt that programs take the time to cross reference previous posts to decide how you ranked them to have it effect their decision.

The only way I could see it matter is if you look back at someone's posts and see that for example: mnbmen seems like someone I would hate to spend any amount of time with so Im going to make my list opposite of theirs.

Not an attack on your starting this thread, I'm just confused at why people would be afraid to be honest before the deadline but would be honest now.

Ha! I like your "I do NOT want to be co-residents with this dude" angle, but I think the sad line of thought goes "I love Program X, but I'm not going to let on how much I love it in case of even the slightest, most remooooooote chance that a better candidate than me sees my post and thinks 'Hey, I'm dead even on the fence between Programs X and Y, but look at all these smart and cool people ranking X as their number one. What the heck, why not' and then they snag my spot."

Obviously, no one is basing their entire rank list off of some internet forum or arbitrary-ass ranking system (cough-DOXIMITY-cough), but (and could be completely wrong here) I think people keep their cards close to the vest for the above reason.

Dartmouth
Lahey
UVM
UMass
St. E's
UConn
Monte
NYU
Hofstra
Maimo
Drexel

Sooooo, since I have nothing better to do with my life, I have decided to organize this list in terms of popularity. Because last year approximately 75% of overall anesthesiology applicants matched at one of their first 3 spots (higher or some and lower for others), I decided it would be best to take into account everyones top 3 ranks to get an idea of the most competitive programs so far. Hopefully, this list will encourage others who have not posted their list to do so. Thanks!

MOST COMPETITIVE THUS FAR
OHSU (3)
UCLA (3)
Mt. Sinai (3)
UPMC (3)
MHG (3)

UW (2)
IOWA (2)
NW (2)
WASH U (2)
BWH (2)
PENN STATE (2)
UVA (2)

UCSF (1)
LOYOLA (1)
RUSH (1)
U OF MINN (1)
CCF (1)
MONTEFIORE (1)
KENDALL (1)
BEAUMONT (1)
UCONN (1)
ALLEGHENY GENERAL (1)
DUKE (1)
WAKE FOREST (1)
MARYLAND (1)
UTAH (1)
KANSAS (1)
UT HOUSTON (1)
TEXAS AM (1)
STANFORD (1)
CORNELL (1)
USC (1)
UT SAN ANTONIO (1)
U KENTUCKY (1)
OKLAHOMA (1)
GEISINGER (1)
UTMB (1)
UPENN (1)
COLORADO (1)
UCSD (1)
CINCINNATI (1)
LAHEY (1)
DARTMOUTH (1)

^^If you want to get really crazy, you could use the rank lists on the application spreadsheet and do the same.

^^If you want to get really crazy, you could use the rank lists on the application spreadsheet and do the same.

Thats a good idea but it sounds a little too painful. However, I would love to see this so called list, where can I find it?

Look at the "2016-2017 Official Residency Application" thread. There's a google doc that has multiple tabs, one of which is users' rank lists.

Sooooo, since I have nothing better to do with my life, I have decided to organize this list in terms of popularity. Because last year approximately 75% of overall anesthesiology applicants matched at one of their first 3 spots (higher or some and lower for others), I decided it would be best to take into account everyones top 3 ranks to get an idea of the most competitive programs so far. Hopefully, this list will encourage others who have not posted their list to do so. Thanks!

Did you get the anesthesia specific percentage or was it just the overall applicant pool for all specialties from the match outcomes?

Reactions: 2 users
Why has the input halted?

Oh wow. Is montefiore really that good? I thought I was the only one

Sorry, I actually can't cite those statistics. I do realize that 75% of all applicants attained one of their top 3 positions, however I was not able to find these statistics for Anesthesiology. I do think that taking everyones top 3 programs is probably a better way to get an idea of program competitiveness instead of just using their top choice.

KEEP THE LISTS COMING, THEY ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED BY ALL!!!

MGH (4)

OHSU (3)
UCLA (3)
Mt. Sinai (3)
UPMC (3)
PENN STATE (3)
UW (3)

IOWA (2)
NW (2)
WASH U (2)
BWH (2)
UVA (2)
MONTEFIORE (2)

NYU (1)
UPENN (1)
UCSF (1)
LOYOLA (1)
RUSH (1)
U OF MINN (1)
CCF (1)
KENDALL (1)
BEAUMONT (1)
UCONN (1)
ALLEGHENY GENERAL (1)
DUKE (1)
WAKE FOREST (1)
MARYLAND (1)
UTAH (1)
KANSAS (1)
UT HOUSTON (1)
TEXAS AM (1)
STANFORD (1)
CORNELL (1)
USC (1)
UT SAN ANTONIO (1)
U KENTUCKY (1)
OKLAHOMA (1)
GEISINGER (1)
UTMB (1)
UPENN (1)
COLORADO (1)
UCSD (1)
CINCINNATI (1)
LAHEY (1)
DARTMOUTH (1)

Sorry, I actually can't cite those statistics. I do realize that 75% of all applicants attained one of their top 3 positions, however I was not able to find these statistics for Anesthesiology. I do think that taking everyones top 3 programs is probably a better way to get an idea of program competitiveness instead of just using their top choice.

KEEP THE LISTS COMING, THEY ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED BY ALL!!!

Why not utilize the google document? your list does not reflect it currrently.

CCF
Montefiore
Kendall
Umass
Buffalo
Upstate
SUNY Downstate
Henry Ford
Advocate
UT houston
LSU
St. Elizabeth
Cook County
Iowa

No fancy places in my list. Happy nevertheless
how did you feel about Montefiore? I know you ranked it #1 but curious how that program has changed since I interviewed there years ago

how did you feel about Montefiore? I know you ranked it #1 but curious how that program has changed since I interviewed there years ago
Seemed like a busy place, with lots of different surgeries going on. Didnt seem to be lacking any particular type of cases. Residents seemed friendly and relatabe. PD and chair seemed strong yet approachable. the faculty i interviewed with were very friendly. days are busy, nights too, senior residents seemed well taught/learned during the lecture we were a part of. To top it off, the food was tasty.. mm mmm... inhouse fellowships available, plus decent matches into other programs as well. fingers crossed ..