umich05

10+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2007
29
0
Status
Pre-Dental
So hypothetically if I were to get in to a school decemeber 1st and had an interview a couple of days after that do you think the second interview would consider the fact that I might already have an acceptance from another school and notify me of their decision before the day I need to respond to my december 1st school? Or should i specifically tell them that, hey look I have an acceptance so you need to notify me asap?
 

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
8,151
2,287
Status
Dentist
So hypothetically if I were to get in to a school decemeber 1st and had an interview a couple of days after that do you think the second interview would consider the fact that I might already have an acceptance from another school and notify me of their decision before the day I need to respond to my december 1st school? Or should i specifically tell them that, hey look I have an acceptance so you need to notify me asap?
Hypothetically, that attitude is sure to get you a nod.
 
OP
U

umich05

10+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2007
29
0
Status
Pre-Dental
a nod? in the positive direction? Don't get it.

I think it's important that they know that, hypothetically, I ball pretty hard.
 

harrygt

10+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2008
802
5
LA
Status
Pre-Dental
Hypothetically, that attitude is sure to get you a nod.
Doc, I was gonna bold it. Too bad you did it earlier.
I'm sure Doc meant a negative nod. When you apply to dental schools, you don't go there like "HEY LOOK!". Lol, I mean you don't make orders when there are thousands of people waiting behind you to get one of those interview spots. Good luck
 

TeamGuo

10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2008
770
4
Status
Pre-Dental
It's up to you whether you will continue on with interviews or not after getting accepted to pre-Dec interviewed schools.

But telling them that info is not necessary.
 
OP
U

umich05

10+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2007
29
0
Status
Pre-Dental
I know, i didn't mean to make it sound so bold. But the question still stands. Do they get back to you quickly? Or is there any polite way that I can tell them that I would like to go to their school but I don't want to screw my self by passing on the deadline to another school (and i dont want to pay deposit and then lose it)
 

TeamGuo

10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2008
770
4
Status
Pre-Dental
I know, i didn't mean to make it sound so bold. But the question still stands. Do they get back to you quickly? Or is there any polite way that I can tell them that I would like to go to their school but I don't want to screw my self by passing on the deadline to another school (and i dont want to pay deposit and then lose it)

You don't have the option to ask them to decide quickly. That's why many applicants will put down multiple deposits before making the final decision. So if you are really interested in your post-Dec schools, if you get accepted to prior to your post-Dec interviews, put down the deposit and still go on with your interviews.

I believe you have up to spring to make the final decision.
 

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
8,151
2,287
Status
Dentist
a nod? in the positive direction? Don't get it.

I think it's important that they know that, hypothetically, I ball pretty hard.
You seem to have a proclivity for misusing the shovel to dig yourself even deeper.
 
OP
U

umich05

10+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2007
29
0
Status
Pre-Dental
i like your use of proclivity.

I don't think that there is any harm in a little confidence, if well used and deserved. But more importantly, it's not like i'm going to say this to the adcoms. It's just for sdn. And relevant.
 

MissionDental

10+ Year Member
May 23, 2008
146
0
CA
Status
Pre-Dental
Wow, some sdn folks just need to relax. I think UMICH has a resonable request for info.

Adcom folks are people too. Just explain your situation if the hypotheical becomes a reality.
 

Quattro DMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 20, 2008
460
4
Dallas, TX
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So hypothetically if I were to get in to a school decemeber 1st and had an interview a couple of days after that do you think the second interview would consider the fact that I might already have an acceptance from another school and notify me of their decision before the day I need to respond to my december 1st school? Or should i specifically tell them that, hey look I have an acceptance so you need to notify me asap?
If you get accepted on dec. 1 you have about 45 days to put down a deposit. Just call the post dec. interivew school a week before your 45 days is up and ask them your status. But seriously you should put down a deposit at the first school. I mean a thousand bucks is a lot of money but but to secure yourself a safety spot is pretty valuable.
 

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
8,151
2,287
Status
Dentist
Wow, some sdn folks just need to relax. I think UMICH has a resonable request for info.
"A reasonable request" usually gets "a reasonable" response but it does not mean that all responses will be in agreement. Roughly half of those interviewed are not placed in the accepted category so, to say the least, it is pretty presumptuous to assume that an interview pre or post December is an automatic acceptance. Used car salesman are pros at high pressure tactics and we all know how highly regarded they are. Do we really think that adcoms would respond any differently? Rest assured that ds are well aware that rare is an applicant that applies to a single school. If they are impressed and do not want to lose an applicant they know what needs to be done.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=582154
 
OP
U

umich05

10+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2007
29
0
Status
Pre-Dental
somthinpositive, you were at my uofm interview. Were you the guy that used to be a concert pianist?