Post-December Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Graphire

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When do people generally get post-december interviews?

Do schools that have put you on hold ever change their decision to remove you from hold status?

Do interviews start flooding in after December 1st and the accepted people start cancelling interviews?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Do schools that have put you on hold ever change their decision to remove you from hold status?

Do interviews start flooding in after December 1st and the accepted people start cancelling interviews?

Thanks.

I just received an interview invitation to Boston University on Tuesday (October 25), and in the e-mail they had already scheduled my interview for January, so I have already been offered a post-December interview.
I am not sure about what happens with interview invites after December 1st because this is my first time applying. I guess I will just have to wait and see!

I just received an interview invitation to Boston University on Tuesday (October 25), and in the e-mail they had already scheduled my interview for January, so I have already been offered a post-December interview.
I am not sure about what happens with interview invites after December 1st because this is my first time applying. I guess I will just have to wait and see!

Hey dude, I also applied to BU but I haven't gotten ay invitation yet. :( Could you tell me when you submitted your secondary so I can compare it to mine? I mean like around when you sent them your $ and that short essay on why BU?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey dude, I also applied to BU but I haven't gotten ay invitation yet. :( Could you tell me when you submitted your secondary so I can compare it to mine? I mean like around when you sent them your $ and that short essay on why BU?

I submitted my secondary October 14 (a Friday) and received a confirmation that BU received my supplemental app and fee on October 17 (following Monday). Then they sent me the interview invite October 25 (1 week and 1 day after supplemental confirmation). How long have you been waiting?

Congrat jvr1989, looks like BU really wants you to attend. I submitted my supplemental in late sept---no interview invite. I guess im looking at a rejection by now.

I submitted my secondary October 14 (a Friday) and received a confirmation that BU received my supplemental app and fee on October 17 (following Monday). Then they sent me the interview invite October 25 (1 week and 1 day after supplemental confirmation). How long have you been waiting?

**** dude. Not what I wanted to hear. I actually sent in my secondaries a week before you did (Oct. 7). I still have yet to hear from them. While I know its still hasn't been a lot of time since then and now, the fact that you already got an invite is pretty discouraging. :(

What are you're stats? Maybe you're just a super genius and very much wanted by Dschools :D

I withdrew my BU app when I read on here that their clinical requirement for root canals is a whopping ONE and it can be done on a mannequin WTF lol.

Thanks.

i've gotten some post dec interviews as early as october 1st. it varies based on the school and how fast they filled up their interview slots.

Hold status would vary per school (google more SDN threads about this.)

Interviews are given out each week (sometimes more and sometimes less) I can see some schools inviting more students to fill up spots that were cancelled by others. (again google more SDN threads on this topic.)

I withdrew my BU app when I read on here that their clinical requirement for root canals is a whopping ONE and it can be done on a mannequin WTF lol.

A dentist is a dentist is a dentist is a dentist. lol if you already applied and paid, might as well have an option in case by some off chance its the only school you get in.

Congrat jvr1989, looks like BU really wants you to attend. I submitted my supplemental in late sept---no interview invite. I guess im looking at a rejection by now.

Thank you dapplicant, I sure hope so! :oops:
This is my first time applying to dental school and I'm not sure how the interview process works, but I really think that you should stay positive. Just because I received an interview invite before you doesn't mean that an interview invite is not coming your way!

Sad that my post has been hijacked after about two posts haha :(

On the note of BU I think their choice on interviewees is a little strange. There are applicants who have better GPA/DAT/ECs than I have that haven't got an interview but I was invited on their first day of interviews.

Sad that my post has been hijacked after about two posts haha :(

On the note of BU I think their choice on interviewees is a little strange. There are applicants who have better GPA/DAT/ECs than I have that haven't got an interview but I was invited on their first day of interviews.

you're right - i'm more of an avg applicant and those with great stats haven't heard back yet. at the interview, BU was all PICK US PICK US! but i think all they want is someone who fits their profile: a chill person who is willing to share notes

you're right - i'm more of an avg applicant and those with great stats haven't heard back yet. at the interview, BU was all PICK US PICK US! but i think all they want is someone who fits their profile: a chill person who is willing to share notes

Hey wzhu, I am glad your interview went well. It looks like they love uwo graduates haha j/k. I am also expecting dec 1 call from BU :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey wzhu, I am glad your interview went well. It looks like they love uwo graduates haha j/k. I am also expecting dec 1 call from BU :thumbup:

haha strangely enough i ran into a D1 at the interview wearing a UWO sweater, he said there were 5 uwo grads in his class :D

Hey, I'm that kinda person.
Why they didn't pick me?

To answer the OP's question, Yes, a lot of new interview invites will start rolling in after Dec. 1. On a side note, post dec 1 interviews have the benefit of not having to wait 4 months to find out if you made it or not. If you interview on Dec 1 you will know the results no later than Dec 14 (usually). Also, believe me, once school starts NOBODY cares who interviewed when. It might be an ego booster now but is completly irrelavant in the grand scheme of things ;).

To answer the OP's question, Yes, a lot of new interview invites will start rolling in after Dec. 1. On a side note, post dec 1 interviews have the benefit of not having to wait 4 months to find out if you made it or not. If you interview on Dec 1 you will know the results no later than Dec 14 (usually). Also, believe me, once school starts NOBODY cares who interviewed when. It might be an ego booster now but is completly irrelavant in the grand scheme of things ;).

ego boost? i think it makes sense to interview pre dec 1 because you maximize your chances. you compete for the maximum amount of seats. post dec 1 involves fighting for remaining seats (which can be anywhere from 25% to 50% of the seats.)

That makes every post dec 1 interview, a bit of a gamble.

A dentist is a dentist is a dentist is a dentist. lol if you already applied and paid, might as well have an option in case by some off chance its the only school you get in.

A dentist who doesn't know how to do root canals is a pseudo-dentist. I will need to pay off my loans after dental school and only knowing how to do basic restorative procedures (as what BU will teach) is not going to pay off my debt. I'm not going to forgo hundreds of thousands of $$$ in RCT revenue and possibly lose patients forever by sending their RCT cases to another dentist who is competent because he attended one of 50 other dental schools.

So no, a dentist is not a dentist is not a dentist. And hence why not all dental schools are the same.

Hey, I'm that kinda person.
Why they didn't pick me?

to be honest i did my best and feel BU is a good fit but i'm still apprehensive that i don't appear to be what they're looking for either :/ only time will tell!

Wow, that's good that you can potentially hear back so quickly after a post December 1st interview. Do schools usually accept people as they interview or do they decide between many interviewees on a monthly basis?? I know every school is different, but what seems to be the most common method?

A dentist who doesn't know how to do root canals is a pseudo-dentist. I will need to pay off my loans after dental school and only knowing how to do basic restorative procedures (as what BU will teach) is not going to pay off my debt. I'm not going to forgo hundreds of thousands of $$$ in RCT revenue and possibly lose patients forever by sending their RCT cases to another dentist who is competent because he attended one of 50 other dental schools.

So no, a dentist is not a dentist is not a dentist. And hence why not all dental schools are the same.

+1

But unfortunately, BU might be the only school a person can get in. So being a low-brow dentist is a lot better than being a lower-brow lab tech.

Wow, that's good that you can potentially hear back so quickly after a post December 1st interview. Do schools usually accept people as they interview or do they decide between many interviewees on a monthly basis?? I know every school is different, but what seems to be the most common method?

From what I found out in my BU interview they meet up with the board of admissions about a week after each interview "group" and decide then.

Like for example I know that they already know if they are going to accept me or not but they can't let me know until december 1st but after that it's all fair game to notify us 1 or 2 weeks after the interview.

to be honest i did my best and feel BU is a good fit but i'm still apprehensive that i don't appear to be what they're looking for either :/ only time will tell!

Same here. My interviewer said she was impressed with my desire to pursue dentistry, but it worries me little coz she didn't write down anything I said. I really don't know what to make of that. Only time will tell :confused:

Same here. My interviewer said she was impressed with my desire to pursue dentistry, but it worries me little coz she didn't write down anything I said. I really don't know what to make of that. Only time will tell :confused:

i asked my interviewer a question toward the end that he didn't know the exact stats for - he wrote the question down in his memo book and said he'd get back to me... was he just humouring me? haha

i asked my interviewer a question toward the end that he didn't know the exact stats for - he wrote the question down in his memo book and said he'd get back to me... was he just humouring me? haha

Did he eventually get back to you? My interviewer was very prompt with answering my questions through email, but I didn't notice it until I checked my junk folder haha. Anyhow, all thespeculation is eatting me alive haha
good luck to you and hopefully we'll find out on dec 1. :)

Did he eventually get back to you? My interviewer was very prompt with answering my questions through email, but I didn't notice it until I checked my junk folder haha. Anyhow, all thespeculation is eatting me alive haha
good luck to you and hopefully we'll find out on dec 1. :)

haha i just interviewed on friday - i am writing him a thank you email right now :p
thanks and you too! perhaps we will find ourselves to be classmates :D