Post-fellowship interview letter of intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I know this has been discussed at length with residency interviews, but I was wondering if the same rules apply for fellowship. I have 2-3 programs that I am really interested in at this point. Ideally, I would like to e-mail the director at my top choice and tell them that I intend to rank them first, and more about why. But because the fellowship I am applying for is fairly competitive, I'd also like to email my #2/3 and just express my interest. I'd of course never say that I am ranking them #1 (or NOT ranking them #1), just that I am sincerely interested in their program. I ran this by the director at my institution and he thought this was a good plan and has had applicants do so for him.
So. Are letters (emails) of intent appropriate for fellowship? If yes, is it appropriate to email more than 1 program about my interest (of course without telling them all they're my #1)? Thanks!
 
If it makes you feel better and that you "did everything you could" by sending these letters, then it's probably not going to hurt. Of course, they're probably not going to help either.
 
If it makes you feel better and that you "did everything you could" by sending these letters, then it's probably not going to hurt. Of course, they're probably not going to help either.
I guess in a sea of so many applicants with so few positions I just want them to remember me. Thanks for the advice!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Odds are it won't make that much difference. But unlikely to hurt.
Better option, if available, is to have your mentors in residency reach out to people they know in your target locations and make a phone call on your behalf. Obviously you may not have any connections to work, but if they are there, it's the most impactful.