Post freshman year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhold33

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So at the end of freshman year Im really wondering if I have what it takes to be a doctor. I finished my first semester with a 3.23 gpa but i didnt take college that seriously so I came back spring semester and tried really hard. The thing is after trying hard I am going to end up with around a 3.6 gpa which isnt good enough for medical school. Ive taken 16 hours each semester and they have mostly been introductory classes so nothing to hard. I havent gotten an A in a signle science class and the only A's I have have come in some pretty basic classes like english and public speaking. So Im questioning if I have what it takes to become a doctor. The drive is there but even with it I dont know if Ill be able to do it.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey bud,

By your description, its hard to tell what your issue is. You can "try hard" and "study" for hours and hours and still get sub-A grades. The issue is not how to study hard, but how to study smart. Since you fooled around your first year in terms of academics, chances are you don't really have the best study skills and are simply investing time into "studying" which may be very inefficient.

My guess is that your issue is not with smarts; its how you study. If you'd like help on that, really dedicate some time into learning how to learn. Once you actually learn how to take classes, focus on what is important, using spaced repetition and focused practice, classes become easy and simple. It becomes a process of budgeting your time, paying your dues for when to study and how, and getting A's. It actually is not so hard. The difficult part is being dedicated to studying a little bit every single day.

Anyways, I won't go into detail since maybe this is not what the problem is. But I think it is.

If you think this is your issue, tackle it head on and become an EXPERT at studying:

Try this site:

https://learningcenter.unc.edu/tips-and-tools/

I just discovered it today but it is an absolute gold mine of good, sound study strategies of succesful students.

Also:

Read About – Learning Strategies Center

They have good basic materials.

If you have any questions, PM me.

Finally, ANYONE can become a doctor, even really seemingly dumb people. Medicine is a field where smarts is useful, but hard work and dedication triumphs. You definitely have what it takes. Now we need to tackle this academic hurdle and get to the next level.

Reactions: 2 users
Your goal in Undergrad is to learn how to study and how to effectively manage your time. Additionally, at some schools the introductory science course are weed out classes.

Focus on studying the way that is most efficient to you. Go to your pre-medical advisor and ask what resources your school has for struggling students. Go to office hours (TA or professors) clarify things early on because information builds on itself. This also has the added benefit of your professor seeing your are actually working hard to do well and who knows he/she might be the one who could write you a req letter.

Each lecture has a specific goal, a key take away point. Frame your studying around that. Ask your professor for any previous exams or have him suggest practice question or materials so you know how it will be asked on the test.

Re-watch lectures if that helps. If your school doesn't offer it - ask the professor if he'd be okay with you recording the class. I've done this and have used the Voice Memos app on my phone.

You have 3 years left of undergrad to bring your grades up which is more than enough time (especially since you have so few credits to start off with).

You can do this!!

There are many people who get into med school who aren't always the smartest people but the hardest working. If you're not that smart, you're going to have to work that much harder to get in. Now, is it worth it to you? I don't know, but if you're passionate about it then you'll need to take the necessary steps to achieve it; whether it's getting tutoring, spending more time in office hours, pre-reading chapters, partying less, socializing less, or (god forbid) even sleeping less, you might have to do it!

Bright side, you're only 1 year into college. You've got some time to explore many options before you decide if medicine is really for you but of course, making sure you keep up in the necessary courses to succeed if that's the path you want to take. Keep working hard kid!