Post GMO Civilian Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wreckloose2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a first year medstudent HPSPer and have a question concerning the effect doing a GMO tour has on your chances of matching into a civilian spot after you've paid back your time. I'm interested in EM and ENT (for now) which I know are competitive. Will paying back my time first hurt my chances for getting a spot? Logistically it seems like it might be difficult getting recommendations since years have passed since clerkship years. Are there other reasons why a GMO tour would worsen my chances? Would it be easier to apply for both another internship year and residency? Thanks alot

Members don't see this ad.

wreckloose2 said:
Hi,

I'm a first year medstudent HPSPer and have a question concerning the effect doing a GMO tour has on your chances of matching into a civilian spot after you've paid back your time. I'm interested in EM and ENT (for now) which I know are competitive. Will paying back my time first hurt my chances for getting a spot? Logistically it seems like it might be difficult getting recommendations since years have passed since clerkship years. Are there other reasons why a GMO tour would worsen my chances? Would it be easier to apply for both another internship year and residency? Thanks alot

According to one attending doc and one Residency director... they look favorably on post GMO docs (both of these docs were GMO's themselves). The logic is that you have much more medical experience as a GMO and you have probably had time to publish a little more in your field, even if those publications are just case studies. This usually equates to a LITTLE less babysitting and a steeper learning curve. BTW both docs that told me this are ENTs.

wreckloose2 said:
Hi,

I'm a first year medstudent HPSPer and have a question concerning the effect doing a GMO tour has on your chances of matching into a civilian spot after you've paid back your time. I'm interested in EM and ENT (for now) which I know are competitive. Will paying back my time first hurt my chances for getting a spot? Logistically it seems like it might be difficult getting recommendations since years have passed since clerkship years. Are there other reasons why a GMO tour would worsen my chances? Would it be easier to apply for both another internship year and residency?

I've heard the argument go both ways. I personally spoke with an EM resident who said that he thought that having done a GMO tour was more of a liability than asset in his residency application. More people seem to say that it is an asset to have some experience under your belt. At the end of the day, it comes down to the side of the debate that the program director and selection committee members fall into when you apply (i.e. there is no perfect answer either way).

Regarding ENT, I would think that if you were accepted to an ENT spot out of school that you should be able to get a deferment. I would assume that ENTs are harder to come by than GMOs, but I may be wrong (enter old-school military BS vs common sense).

Members don't see this ad :)
dry dre said:
I've heard the argument go both ways. I personally spoke with an EM resident who said that he thought that having done a GMO tour was more of a liability than asset in his residency application. More people seem to say that it is an asset to have some experience under your belt. At the end of the day, it comes down to the side of the debate that the program director and selection committee members fall into when you apply (i.e. there is no perfect answer either way).

Regarding ENT, I would think that if you were accepted to an ENT spot out of school that you should be able to get a deferment. I would assume that ENTs are harder to come by than GMOs, but I may be wrong (enter old-school military BS vs common sense).

So first thanks for the advice. As for matching to ENT right out of school and getting a deferrment, I kinda want to be a flight surgeon and I would rather pay back my time first then settle into a residency. However, I was thinking that if it would hurt my chances of matching I'd have to rework those plans. Sounds like flight surgeon may be in my future . . . :D

wreckloose2 said:
So first thanks for the advice. As for matching to ENT right out of school and getting a deferrment, I kinda want to be a flight surgeon and I would rather pay back my time first then settle into a residency. However, I was thinking that if it would hurt my chances of matching I'd have to rework those plans. Sounds like flight surgeon may be in my future . . . :D

Sounds l like a plan. If I decided to go HPSP, that is what I would do. Pay back, then get to do a civilain residency. Otherwise you are in the military for twice as long, and residencies may be harder to come by. I have only ever heard that GMOs help you chances at getting civilian residencies, but most of what I have heard comes from other peopl on this site. You could always jsut ask residency program directors what they think, especially since you have an idea of what you want to do. I can't imagine military operational service would hurt your chances of doing EM, it seems intuitive that it would hepl here the most.
Good luck