post-grad work experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Optoed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello! As a recent grad, I'm applying to DO schools this cycle and also to optometry schools as a back up. While I have a bunch of relevant ECs for med school, my profile for optometry is rather limited. I'm looking to work as an optometry assistant (full time) now to get an LOR for optometry school, while still volunteering at a hospital to be more prepared for med school. I'm trying to get a part time/short term optometry job so I can work somewhere else, but the opportunities I have right now are almost all full time & long term.

I understand that some DO schools will ask you what you've been doing while applying, as part of the secondary or interview...should I mention my optometry experience at all? It is still within health care after all.
If not, how should I explain my time off from school? I know it's not interview season yet..but I want to know early, so I can better prepare myself. THANKS!!

Members don't see this ad.