Post Graduation Job Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schwasted589

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm in a weird situation, but I'm hoping others on here have been in a similar place and have some advice. I am due to graduate at the end of this upcoming residency year. However, I have to stay in the area for ~1-2 years due to husband's job requirements. I am looking for a job currently and have heard back from a few places but am having trouble deciding what to pursue as I have very limited exposure to anything but hospital owned groups. So I had a few questions regarding what to expect with the different job setups...

- what are the pros and cons of private practice in this day and age? I have very limited exposure (1 physician) to private practice and she works ALL THE TIME (granted, i think she does this by choice...). The setup is a practice with 1 full time dr, 1 part time, and 2 NPs. I'd be joining them. They deliver at one hospital and the NPs see patients in your clinic if you get called for deliveries

- I feel like a jerk leaving PP after 1-2 years...so thats also starting to sway my decision...would that make me a terrible person if I did that?

- I've heard varying opinions about doing locums right out of residency. Though not ideal, it WOULD make it easy to quit and move whenever I wanted.

Any advice? I would really appreciate it! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Do what you gotta do, just be upfront with every group that you interview with that you’re leaving in 1-2 years and then you can’t be a jerk. If you’re ok with the time you spend working in PP then take it, it’s probably good money. Another good idea is an obgyn hospitalist, good hours, good money flexible schedule.

Hello,

I'm in a weird situation, but I'm hoping others on here have been in a similar place and have some advice. I am due to graduate at the end of this upcoming residency year. However, I have to stay in the area for ~1-2 years due to husband's job requirements. I am looking for a job currently and have heard back from a few places but am having trouble deciding what to pursue as I have very limited exposure to anything but hospital owned groups. So I had a few questions regarding what to expect with the different job setups...

- what are the pros and cons of private practice in this day and age? I have very limited exposure (1 physician) to private practice and she works ALL THE TIME (granted, i think she does this by choice...). The setup is a practice with 1 full time dr, 1 part time, and 2 NPs. I'd be joining them. They deliver at one hospital and the NPs see patients in your clinic if you get called for deliveries

- I feel like a jerk leaving PP after 1-2 years...so thats also starting to sway my decision...would that make me a terrible person if I did that?

- I've heard varying opinions about doing locums right out of residency. Though not ideal, it WOULD make it easy to quit and move whenever I wanted.

Any advice? I would really appreciate it! :)

You have to find out who will pay your tail malpractice insurance if you plan on leaving. Most hospital based positions will likely provide it (still have to make sure it’s in the contract). If your gonna work with a small PP group they might not cover it. If you tell them you plan on leaving, they might not offer it at all. Tail insurance can run in the tens of thousands!

If you plan on leaving your job after 2 years, safest option might be hospital based job.