Post-graduation plans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

h777

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just have a question for some of you in dental school or even for some who have graudated already. When most of you graduate from dental school, do you expect to open your own dental office or apply at an established dental office? The reason I ask is that according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics office website, it says that most dentists are solo practitioners. If most are solo practitioners, then that leads me to believe that you have to open your own dental office due to the small openings that are available at offices that require multiple dentists. Just asking so I can understand ultimately if you do not find any openings, do you have to open your own dental office? Reason being that if I take out student loan, I need to know if I need to take out a business loan too. I would appreciate any input here.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just have a question for some of you in dental school or even for some who have graudated already. When most of you graduate from dental school, do you expect to open your own dental office or apply at an established dental office? The reason I ask is that according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics office website, it says that most dentists are solo practitioners. If most are solo practitioners, then that leads me to believe that you have to open your own dental office due to the small openings that are available at offices that require multiple dentists. Just asking so I can understand ultimately if you do not find any openings, do you have to open your own dental office? Reason being that if I take out student loan, I need to know if I need to take out a business loan too. I would appreciate any input here.

There are alot of associate positions or salary postions avalible, you just have to be willing to move to were they are.