Post-Interview Correspondence Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waddledees

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not sure there's really much value in listing this since all of that communication is entirely meaningless. If it helps satisfy a need to make sure you're all in the same boat then, by all means, knock yourselves out.

Not sure there's really much value in listing this since all of that communication is entirely meaningless. If it helps satisfy a need to make sure you're all in the same boat then, by all means, knock yourselves out.

Agreed...

-AT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Totally agree. Go with your heart and head, not based on generic feedback emails/letters that are probably sent to every applicant who looks good on paper and in person

Even though we've all heard not to put much stock into post-interview correspondance, it's hard not to try to read things into it.
I think it might be comforting for people to know which programs really haven't been communicating post-interview (so they can relax and not worry it means something is very wrong if that program didn't answer a thank you note).
It might also help to put it in the proper context if you find out that an email you received that sounded like they were interested in you personally actually went out to everyone.
It might also help to know if some people have received correspondance that you haven't that maybe you aren't being recruited as heavily as some others are (which could possibly help with decisions like whether to accept a prematch offer or go on one more interview)
I appreciated finding out from this board that one program tells (apparently) every applicant that they will be "highly ranked". If I hadn't known about that ahead of time, I might have actually thought it meant something when that phrase was brought up at my interview there (because it is human nature to want to believe it's true, after all).

Last edited:
OK -- to feed the neuroticism (mine and everyone else's).

UW -- email from the PD stating I would be ranked "x"
Colorado -- email from the PD that seemed personalized
New Mexico -- reply to thank you email
OU-Tulsa -- letter from PD
WashU -- letter from PD
Davis -- letter from PD
Dartmouth -- letter from PD and emailed responses to thank you emails
Brown -- reply to thank you email
UCLA -- nada, but they told us at the interview that they don't contact us
Harbor/UCLA -- nada
Northwestern -- nada for me, but I heard someone else got a letter
OHSU -- hand-written letter from PD
UCSD -- email through ERAS mentioned above

Last edited:
I think this helps, so here I go

Brown - PD acknowledged my thank you email.
Cambridge - nada. Didn't acknowledge my thank you emails.
Longwood - email and snail mail letter from PD that said the same thing...mildly personalized.
Mt. Sinai - acknowledged my thank you emails then another generic email from assistant PD a few weeks later.
NYU - acknowledged my thank you email then phone call from PD
Penn - Assistant PD acknowledged my thank you, no response from PD.
Stanford - PD acknowledged my thank you email.
UCSF - generic thank you for visiting email from PD and nothing else.
UW - mildly personalized email from PD stating we will rank you "x"
Yale -very personalized response to my thank you note from assistant PD

I have served as a control for several of these places and I can tell you not everyone is hearing good feedback and getting handwritten letters from the PD :(

I have served as a control for several of these places and I can tell you not everyone is hearing good feedback and getting handwritten letters from the PD :(

Ugh, sorry. Even though I guess I was an early adopter in participating in this thread (I have some compulsive need to share stuff when asked online), I'm on the fence about it because of its potential to increase stress. Should we kill it?

Thanks Dr Bagel. It's okay. I think it is helpful to list this stuff. It seems if you do hear something it may not mean anything but not hearing something when others have heard probably had negative predictive value. I would rather know the truth than feel a false sense of safety and not rank enough places (or cancel interviews because I think I'm a sure thing at another program.)

keep the posts coming but thanks for checking in.

Dartmouth - short but personal snail mail letter which also acknowledged my thank you note.
Longwood - email and snail mail letter from PD that said the same thing...mildly personalized.
Mt. Sinai - acknowledged my thank you emails then another generic email from assistant PD a few weeks later.
WPIC - personal email
Yale -very personalized response to my thank you note from assistant

Dartmouth - short but personal snail mail letter which also acknowledged my thank you note.
WPIC - personal email

gdbaby - are you saying that for the programs we both interviewed at, we have had the exact same feedback?

WPIC - personal email
Has anyone heard from Yale PD? Couple of these responses just mention email from assistant PD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else not hear anything from OHSU?? I'm pretty sure I didn't receive a note from the PD. :( I'm beginning to feel like thank you emails as opposed to the hand written ones I snail-mailed may have been better since it seems like PDs are more likely to respond to those. maybe we're reading too much into this?? haha, that's what I'll tell myself at least ;)

No feedback from OHSU for me either.

Did anyone else get a call from Penn this morning? The voicemail I got said it was Charles and I couldn't identify the last name. As far as I can tell it's not the PD, assistant PD, PC, anyone I interviewed with or anyone on the list of residents we were given....

Yeah, so I promised myself I wouldn't be this neurotic, but with (still) another six weeks till match day, I'm getting nervous.

Are you guys starting to get phone calls or emails about where you're ranked or whether you still have questions about the program? I've only gotten one of them (from my tentative sixth choice). Specifically, is anyone hearing from Penn, WPIC, Maryland, or Michigan?

Sorry, but the waiting game is driving me up a wall.

I haven't heard from Penn. I didn't interview at the other programs you mention.

Has anyone heard from MGH/McLean or Columbia or Stanford?

Yeah, so I promised myself I wouldn't be this neurotic, but with (still) another six weeks till match day, I'm getting nervous.

Are you guys starting to get phone calls or emails about where you're ranked or whether you still have questions about the program? I've only gotten one of them (from my tentative sixth choice). Specifically, is anyone hearing from Penn, WPIC, Maryland, or Michigan?

Sorry, but the waiting game is driving me up a wall.

The only one of these I interviewed at was Maryland, but I haven't heard anything from them post-interview :(

Yeah, I don't think we're alone. I should probably just start contacting programs myself, rather than wait to get a sense of how much they like me. The gamesmanship is getting old.

Last edited:
Just got some emails from UCSD and a phone call from New Mexico asking me to contact them if I had any questions. They mentioned some generic information about how they liked my application. So I guess it's the time of the year for this stuff to hit.

Just got some emails from UCSD and a phone call from New Mexico asking me to contact them if I had any questions. They mentioned some generic information about how they liked my application. So I guess it's the time of the year for this stuff to hit.

No phonecall from NM here, so they're not calling everyone :(

So it seems to me that it is somewhat awkward to post if you received one of "those" special phone calls b/c presumably programs are making very few of them, therefore possibly allowing yourself to be identified.

With that said, has anyone heard from MGH or Columbia? Feel free to PM me if you don't feel comfortable posting.

So it seems to me that it is somewhat awkward to post if you received one of "those" special phone calls b/c presumably programs are making very few of them, therefore possibly allowing yourself to be identified.

With that said, has anyone heard from MGH or Columbia? Feel free to PM me if you don't feel comfortable posting.

Didn't apply to those programs, but I'll say that I haven't received any more phone calls.

Just curious, did anyone hear anything back from the austin program besides the 2 generic emails about their name change and salary change?? i sent a snail mail thank you, no reply, emailed the PD with a Q, no reply. Anyone else?

Tried to update things and consolidate the information from the whole thread... as of 2/22/2011:
Brown - PD acknowledged my thank you email x4
Cambridge - nada. Didn't acknowledge my thank you emails x2
Columbuia - nothing
Dartmouth - short but personal snail mail letter which also acknowledged my thank you note. x3
Davis -- letter from PD
Georgetown- brief reply to email
Longwood - email and snail mail letter from PD that said the same thing...mildly personalized x2, nothing x1
Maryland - northing;PD and chair replied to email
Mt. Sinai - acknowledged my thank you emails then another generic email from assistant PD a few weeks later x2
New Mexico -- reply to thank you email, phone call (1/2)
NYU - acknowledged my thank you email then phone call from PD x2
OHSU -- hand-written letter from PD, hand written thank you card after one was sent in, nothing x2
Penn - Assistant PD acknowledged my thank you, no response from PD x2
Stanford - PD acknowledged my thank you email x2
Tufts- phone call from PD
Harbor/UCLA -- nada
UCSF - generic thank you for visiting email from PD and nothing else x2
UCSF-Fresno: letter through the mail shortly after the interview
UCSD -- email through ERAS mentioned above x2
UIC- brief PD reply to email
USC: some emails from interviewers the week after the interview
UMass- letter in mail saying I would be ranked
UW - mildly personalized email from PD stating we will rank you "x"; phone call from resident
WashU -- letter from PD
WPIC - personal email
Yale -very personalized response to my thank you note from assistantx2

University of Virginia - Reply to thank you e-mail from two of my interviewers

Virginia Commonwealth University - Reply to thank you e-mail from PD, chairman, and a resident.

Cleveland Clinic - Nothing

Ohio State University - Reply to thank you e-mail from PD and two other interviewers

Maine Medical Center - Thank you for interviewing letter from PD.

University of Arizona - Letter from PD thanking me for interviewing and asking to keep in touch regarding my interest in the program as the match nears. He also hand wrote some answers to questions I asked during interview that he was not sure of at the time.

University of Arizona/UPHC - Phone call from PD around Christmas wishing me Happy Holidays. Reply from one of my interviewers to a thank you e-mail.

University of California Irvine - Nothing

Loma Linda - Nothing

Wondering if anyone heard back from Case Western? I haven't heard anything.

I got an email from the PD late last week with short "we liked you, we hope you rank us highly" message.

Update 2/22 6:43
Brown - PD acknowledged my thank you email x4
Cambridge - nada. Didn't acknowledge my thank you emails x 2 or "love" email x 1
Columbuia - nothing
Dartmouth - short but personal snail mail letter which also acknowledged my thank you note. x3
Davis -- letter from PD
Georgetown- brief reply to email
Longwood - email and snail mail letter from PD that said the same thing...mildly personalized x3, nothing x1
Maryland - northing;PD and chair replied to email
Mt. Sinai - acknowledged my thank you emails then another generic email from assistant PD a few weeks later x2, generic mildly personalized email from PD, a phone call from PD x 1
Montefiore/Albert Einstein - acknowledged my "love letter" x 1
New Mexico -- reply to thank you email, phone call (1/2)
NYU - acknowledged my thank you email then phone call from PD x2, only acknoledged my thank you email x 1
OHSU -- hand-written letter from PD, hand written thank you card after one was sent in, nothing x2
Penn - Assistant PD acknowledged my thank you, no response from PD x2
Stanford - PD acknowledged my thank you email x2
Tufts- phone call from PD
Harbor/UCLA -- nada
UCSF - generic thank you for visiting email from PD and nothing else x2
UCSF-Fresno: letter through the mail shortly after the interview
UCSD -- email through ERAS mentioned above x2
UIC- brief PD reply to email
USC: some emails from interviewers the week after the interview
UMass- letter in mail saying I would be ranked
UW - mildly personalized email from PD stating we will rank you "x"; phone call from resident
WashU -- letter from PD
WPIC - personal email
Yale -very personalized response to my thank you note from assistantx2

I wouldn't read too much into this. It was a really short email and didn't seem all that personalized. I haven't heard from my #2 and I'm still hopeful.

I wouldn't read too much into this. It was a really short email and didn't seem all that personalized. I haven't heard from my #2 and I'm still hopeful.

Thanks. :) But I imagine that they send those to at least the people they plan on ranking. Guess will just see in the match!:idea:

Thanks. :) But I imagine that they send those to at least the people they plan on ranking. Guess will just see in the match!:idea:

ok, I'll bite:

Michigan: (response) letter from PD stating they plan on ranking you
Pitt/WPIC: (response) very very short personalized response from PD saying that it was "good to here" that I was ranking them highly
UNC: (unsolicited) generic letter from PD
Everyone else on my rank list: nothin'

UAB - Generic good luck letter from resident
Louisville - Nothing
Florida - Response to emails plus generic good luck from resident
Brown - Response to email from temp PD
Georgetown - Semi personal emails from PD and assistant PD
UAMS - Call from PD to say I was in great shape for the program
UVA - nothing
MUSC - responses from everyone I emailed (PD, assistant PD, + residents)
UT SouthW - Generic we like you letter from PD

side note: I am using my wife's account, so that is why it says attending.

I interviewed at two places this year. One was New Mexico. It is a great place. I called Dr. Lewis this month and he told me that my chances were slim.

Then, yesterday, I went to my interview at Colton (Arrowhead). Arrowhead is an osteopathic program and I interviewed for a second year spot. (I am a licensed GP with one year of transitional internship under my belt). The vibe at Arrowhead was much better.

After I finished the interview, as I was driving home, I got a call from the program and I was accepted. I accepted right on the spot. We are signing a contract this week.

This would be a second year spot at Arrowhead (by comparison, the NM spot was for a full 4 year residency). So, overall, things worked out very well, as I will only need to do 3 years (assuming that the college of osteopathic psychitry board grants me the full advanced standing).

Arrowhead has a nice group of attendings. I interviewed with Dr. Gordon most of the morning and then at lunch time, the entire attending staff and a couple of residents came to lunch and did an informal question session where they asked me about my past experience and my past internship and work experience. It was a casual atmosphere and conversationsal. The residents seemed happy and friendly.

I felt very good about the program which was why I accepted the offer right on the phone on the way home.

cheers.

wash u-letter from pd after interview

post rank lists in i got an email from STONEYbrook and one from mcw, seemed generic