Post-Interview Feedback?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joti

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you grade the response to thank you letters from PD and faculty after interview? Can we make any conclusions from the response to thank you letters?

I feel some are generic, some are negative and some are positive. Is this true? Am I reaching premature conclusions? Are there any chances of matching in the same program if we get a generic response from the faculty members?

Please post your thoughts!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

How do you grade the response to thank you letters from PD and faculty after interview? Can we make any conclusions from the response to thank you letters?

I feel some are generic, some are negative and some are positive. Is this true? Am I reaching premature conclusions? Are there any chances of matching in the same program if we get a generic response from the faculty members?

Please post your thoughts!!!!!!!!!

I think you're reading too much into things. From what I've been told, thank you's do not put your application at the top of any pile; however, saying something stupid will definitely put your application at the bottom.

That said, I think the faculty you receive "generic" responses from are basically receiving thank you's from almost everyone they interview...it's not an important part of the evaluation process, so you'll get generic replies in-return. I don't think it holds any bearing on your chance of matching.

I think if program is interested in you (god only knows how much interested they are) they might say something like you will make a good addition to our program or we would love to have you amongst us etc.

also some program have a policy of not responding to thank you letters, so cannot read anything from the thank you letters.

Basically if you get a negative response then unlikely that they will consider you seriously.

Now these are only my impressions from what I heard from fellows in my program here.

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think if program is interested in you (god only knows how much interested they are) they might say something like you will make a good addition to our program or we would love to have you amongst us etc.

also some program have a policy of not responding to thank you letters, so cannot read anything from the thank you letters.

Basically if you get a negative response then unlikely that they will consider you seriously.

Now these are only my impressions from what I heard from fellows in my program here.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much. That helps.

Don't expect to get feedback, or replies to feedback/thankyous you send THEM. If you do get feedback and it sounds nice, that might be a good sign but realize that it guarantees nothing. The programs lie a lot...or at least stretch the truth. Ditto for many applicants.
I would not believe anything anybody tells you, but just keep smilin'.