Post-Interview Letters (Intent, Interest)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StilgarMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm pretty set on my number 1 program, and fully intend on sending them an email saying "You're my #1", but I also want to communicate something to other programs near the top, to let them know as much. I've heard mixed things on this - from its good to its actively bad - Anyone on the other side have any insight into this? Is there anything that can be used to communicate strong interest without it being #1?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don’t. Saying anything but “You’re my #1” mainly just conveys the message “You’re not my #1.”

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Seems pretty conclusive... thanks everyone.

Also, don't lie and tell multiple that they're your number 1. If you match elsewhere and a program intentionally put you high they may be mad. I definitely got a "what happened, we were expecting you to match here?!?" email from several programs, and I never told any of them where I was ranking them. I imagine the tone would have been worse had I actually said I was ranking them #1.

Reactions: 1 user
Concur, don't write the letters. Hopefully you expressed why you want to go there during your interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Anything other than "your my #1 program" sounds like "your are my second or third best program, congratulations!" It is also true that when programs look at these #1 choice communications, they are inversely proportional from the top to the bottom of our lists. They don't have much impact even if we are gullible enough to believe they are true. Silence is a fair option.

Anything other than "your my #1 program" sounds like "your are my second or third best program, congratulations!" It is also true that when programs look at these #1 choice communications, they are inversely proportional from the top to the bottom of our lists. They don't have much impact even if we are gullible enough to believe they are true. Silence is a fair option.
So my top choice has given me good vibes, and I want to believe sending the LOI will seal the deal. We'll see though...

So my top choice has given me good vibes, and I want to believe sending the LOI will seal the deal. We'll see though...
Hopefully, applicants go through this once for the mostly part and programs learn to be honest because there is more at stake. Getting good vibes from a program can probably be believed. Programs are more skeptical of applicant fondness communication. The sequence of your communication is promising. Read the program communication carefully and objectively.