Post-Interview Letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

f-series

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

After some of the interviews I've been on I received letters from the program directors I interviewed with. Some appear to be form letters, and some of the letters are actually personalized and mention a few of the things we talked about on interview day. I was wondering if they send these letters to every applicant who interviews there, and if many places send out personalized letters or just form letters?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

After some of the interviews I've been on I received letters from the program directors I interviewed with. Some appear to be form letters, and some of the letters are actually personalized and mention a few of the things we talked about on interview day. I was wondering if they send these letters to every applicant who interviews there, and if many places send out personalized letters or just form letters?

I am also curious how many places do this too. Would anyone mind saying where they have received post-interview letters from?

99.9% of all post-interview feedback from both interviewers and interviewees is insincere and worthless.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received a letter from the Brigham. I've heard that they send these to everyone, and in the past it said something like "we were very impressed and will rank you accordingly." Mine said they would rank me highly. Did they just change the wording this year?

Many programs send these to everyone, some change the wording based on where they put you. I would not read too much into it either way, it is too early for them to know where they put you because they have multiple interviews left. Also, they don't know how far down they will go on their list. We had 5 categories at my program. Ranked within the X number of spots we had, ranked within 2X spots, high middle, low middle, and the we didn't really like you. All got letters, and I am pretty sure that the wording to even the group we didn't like was positive. There are a very few people who may have offended so badly they did not get a letter, but that would have been the exception.