Post-Interview Procedures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sadeqq

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone--

I just have a quick? -- after you go interview at a school, is it expected or recomended that we write a thank you letter or email to the admissions office of that school.

si

Members don't see this ad.

good question

Many will call it a common courtesy, but I for one, am not sending out thank-you letters. It is certainly not mandatory.

I thanked the admissions staff, interviewers, and students while I was there, and I don't feel it necessary to thank them again. After all, I paid lots of money to interview at their schools, and in quite a logical sense, they should be thanking me (since I'll also be paying tons of $$ to attend one of their schools).

But alas, if you choose to do so, then go for it! I can't see a thank-you letter actually bolstering your application, but it certainly can't hurt either. In either case, the thank-you should be addressed, or sent, to the person(s) whom interviewed you.

It is more than common courtesy. First, a thank-you note is way of showing professional respect when someone has spent their professional time with you. Second, I have friends who do admissions work as volunteers (incl intw) out of sheer enthusiasm for their school and certainly they would highly appreciate a thank-you note. And finally, remember that good karma is always helpful in the long run:)