1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Post-Interview Procedures

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by sadeqq, Sep 21, 2002.

1. sadeqq

sadeqq Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi everyone--

I just have a quick? -- after you go interview at a school, is it expected or recomended that we write a thank you letter or email to the admissions office of that school.

si

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. juan7677

juan7677 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

good question

4. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    Many will call it a common courtesy, but I for one, am not sending out thank-you letters. It is certainly not mandatory.

I thanked the admissions staff, interviewers, and students while I was there, and I don't feel it necessary to thank them again. After all, I paid lots of money to interview at their schools, and in quite a logical sense, they should be thanking me (since I'll also be paying tons of $$ to attend one of their schools).

But alas, if you choose to do so, then go for it! I can't see a thank-you letter actually bolstering your application, but it certainly can't hurt either. In either case, the thank-you should be addressed, or sent, to the person(s) whom interviewed you.

5. crimson

crimson What up Smokey!
    10+ Year Member

It is more than common courtesy. First, a thank-you note is way of showing professional respect when someone has spent their professional time with you. Second, I have friends who do admissions work as volunteers (incl intw) out of sheer enthusiasm for their school and certainly they would highly appreciate a thank-you note. And finally, remember that good karma is always helpful in the long run:)