(Post) interview Season questions…

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med2345

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that most interviews have almost ended for most, I’ve been pretty unsure as what to expect from programs and was wondering if some students or residents could pitch in their experiences.

Do most programs mention ranking or your status after interviews (or give a call/feedback)?
How long do programs usually wait if so?
Do people commonly match a programs that don’t give feedback or do the majority already know where that are going?
Do mainly all interviews get ranked unless it goes horrifically?

I know its program dependent; but how many ranks per residency spot would you say is an average for podiatry?
It’s well documented in MD/DO but not for podiatry so wondering if residents who currently know the process know how far the list residencies go to fill their spots.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Now that most interviews have almost ended for most, I’ve been pretty unsure as what to expect from programs and was wondering if some students or residents could pitch in their experiences.

Do most programs mention ranking or your status after interviews (or give a call/feedback)?
Do people commonly match a programs that don’t give feedback or do the majority already know where that are going?

I know its program dependent; but how many ranks per residency spot would you say is an average for podiatry?
It’s well documented in MD/DO but not for podiatry so wondering if residents who currently know the process know how far the list residencies go to fill their spots.

Thanks!

They shouldn't Good programs playing fair, even if they have multiple spots, shouldn't have to contact you after interviews or use their own residents to play the feeler game or any games for that matter. Some will have their own residents drop hints of how "You're #3 out of our top 5". Then you get in and realize they were telling all their top 10s that. Don't play the game. Don't read into what they tell you. Be kind, polite, and ignore the gossip. No doubt your classmates will also be showing off how so and so resident told them they were a #1 pick only to end up on the opposite coast of wherever they thought they were going to go.

My top 5 picks never played the game with me. I appreciated them for that. Some residents would check on me here and there but there was never pressure to "pick us pick us pick us". At the end of the day, you need to realize a program is looking out for their best interests. They will always play the yield game. If they see a good batch of 10, they will tell all 10 "Hey YOU are in our top 3" just to ensure all 3 slots get filled. Again- no point reading into it or playing that game. Its amateurish at best and screws students over at worst. I get why they do it but doesn't mean I agree.

This depends. I had a gut feeling I would for sure end up in my top 3. Never got any explicit "feedback" or special calls after interviews, but knew the residents were very friendly and accommodating to me and would still check up on me after interviews. Could also tell from my clerkship month- being as self critical as I could- I still had a good month with them. So in terms of feedback? Had zero to go off of- still matched to where I expected and wanted to match. Majority of my classmates matched where they wanted to go. The ones that had no clue how they ended up at xyz program were usually 1) super egotistical, weren't realistic with their expectations or 2) put their eggs all in one basket, listened to the promises of the program and ended up scrambling.

Don't understand what you're asking. As in programs ranking students? Most if not all already know who they're ranking by just looking at their interview list. They know most if now all the students who are interviewing. They remember. And if they don't, their residents remember. We know who we won't be ranking for sure. Unless you were extremely out of touch with your clerkship list and did horrible while you were there, or had zero self-awareness- most students end up getting ranked at their favorite programs even after interviews.

All of these questions you are asking have little to no effect on where you will end up. Makes it exciting for students because this is all you'll be gossiping about until March. But programs will have already known who they want even before interviews.

but how many ranks per residency spot would you say is an average for podiatry?
Program dependent but if you're a program, you'd realistically rank every good student you wanted there. For example: 2 slot residency program- 15 interviewed, you're only interested in 10 of them. You rank all 10 to ensure both slots fill. Because no matter what happens, you know you've got a list 10 deep to make sure you don't scramble.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
They shouldn't Good programs playing fair, even if they have multiple spots, shouldn't have to contact you after interviews or use their own residents to play the feeler game or any games for that matter. Some will have their own residents drop hints of how "You're #3 out of our top 5". Then you get in and realize they were telling all their top 10s that. Don't play the game. Don't read into what they tell you. Be kind, polite, and ignore the gossip. No doubt your classmates will also be showing off how so and so resident told them they were a #1 pick only to end up on the opposite coast of wherever they thought they were going to go.

My top 5 picks never played the game with me. I appreciated them for that. Some residents would check on me here and there but there was never pressure to "pick us pick us pick us". At the end of the day, you need to realize a program is looking out for their best interests. They will always play the yield game. If they see a good batch of 10, they will tell all 10 "Hey YOU are in our top 3" just to ensure all 3 slots get filled. Again- no point reading into it or playing that game. Its amateurish at best and screws students over at worst. I get why they do it but doesn't mean I agree.

This depends. I had a gut feeling I would for sure end up in my top 3. Never got any explicit "feedback" or special calls after interviews, but knew the residents were very friendly and accommodating to me and would still check up on me after interviews. Could also tell from my clerkship month- being as self critical as I could- I still had a good month with them. So in terms of feedback? Had zero to go off of- still matched to where I expected and wanted to match. Majority of my classmates matched where they wanted to go. The ones that had no clue how they ended up at xyz program were usually 1) super egotistical, weren't realistic with their expectations or 2) put their eggs all in one basket, listened to the promises of the program and ended up scrambling.

Don't understand what you're asking. As in programs ranking students? Most if not all already know who they're ranking by just looking at their interview list. They know most if now all the students who are interviewing. They remember. And if they don't, their residents remember. We know who we won't be ranking for sure. Unless you were extremely out of touch with your clerkship list and did horrible while you were there, or had zero self-awareness- most students end up getting ranked at their favorite programs even after interviews.

All of these questions you are asking have little to no effect on where you will end up. Makes it exciting for students because this is all you'll be gossiping about until March. But programs will have already known who they want even before interviews.

but how many ranks per residency spot would you say is an average for podiatry?
Program dependent but if you're a program, you'd realistically rank every good student you wanted there. For example: 2 slot residency program- 15 interviewed, you're only interested in 10 of them. You rank all 10 to ensure both slots fill. Because no matter what happens, you know you've got a list 10 deep to make sure you don't scramble.
Thanks for the replies as always. Thanks for the in-depth response it’s gonna be a very long and anxious wait.

Members don't see this ad :)
This whole process is unnerving and can go any which direction.

I have heard of some programs that do call the students after interviews telling them they are going to rank them to match. I know people who have already been called by someone at the program expressing interest in said students. I've been told by upper years that some programs don't ever tell anyone anything historically. Not to mention like Weirdy stated, these programs expressing interest may be calling and telling like 10 people the same thing. On top of that, you gotta figure some students tell multiple programs "Oh I am ranking you to match or 1" etc.

I guess the students that got calls after interviews can maybe deduce where they have an increased chance of going, but again, the program could have called 10 people saying the same thing.

So at the end of the day, do we really know anything. lol

Reactions: 2 users
This whole process is unnerving and can go any which direction.

I have heard of some programs that do call the students after interviews telling them they are going to rank them to match. I know people who have already been called by someone at the program expressing interest in said students. I've been told by upper years that some programs don't ever tell anyone anything historically. Not to mention like Weirdy stated, these programs expressing interest may be calling and telling like 10 people the same thing. On top of that, you gotta figure some students tell multiple programs "Oh I am ranking you to match or 1" etc.

I guess the students that got calls after interviews can maybe deduce where they have an increased chance of going, but again, the program could have called 10 people saying the same thing.

So at the end of the day, do we really know anything. lol
Yeah I’ve heard of all of the above also. Very unnerving I just want to skip the time frame to match week

Just rank them in the order you want them. Then, be patient... it is as simple as that. The ranking and match process is completely in a student's favor. Don't even think of changing your rankings based on what a program tells you or doesn't. You are in control of the process... it is yours to screw up. No joke.

You won't ever "lose" a program. That is a myth. Again, the ranking is completely and totally in a student's favor. Also, nobody will ever know your ranks unless you divulge them. A program could rank me top 3 (assuming they have 3 spots), and I could rank them 8th. I will still match there if and only if I don't match my top 7 above them... my ranking as a top choice by them would never get "lost" because I ranked them 8 and not 1,2,3, etc. Their rank list goes on hold until me and their other top 2 choices are out of the available student pool (then their match proceeds down their list and down and down until all their spots are filled up or until all of their ranked students are matched with other programs... and those unfilled spots scramble).

You obviously need both a student ranking a program and that same program ranking the student to have any chance of match, so if any of a program's ranked students don't rank the program at all in return, they fall off immediately and obviously couldn't possibly match there (same for students who rank programs that didn't rank them... no chance, the program would scramble before taking a student they didn't rank).
Top programs and students have pretty short rank lists since they know what they want and basically where/who they will match.
Average students/programs tend to be "backup" residencies/students to one another, and they usually tend to make the longest rank lists (average programs want good students who match better programs, average students want good programs who match better students... but usually it ends up balancing out).
Low level programs or low rank students don't even get very much interview interest and are scrambling most of the time, and most wise ones only rank what they'd like and would rather scramble than accept some of the bad/random residency/students they saw on clerkship/interview.
...I would strongly advise AGAINST ranking any program you wouldn't want to match into just because you are scared to scramble or because you know the crummy city/program is ranking you and it's a "safe" choice. You really shouldn't even waste your time interviewing for those that you would be unhappy to match at. It's a personal choice if you want to clerk and "warmup interview" at those types, though. Definitely do not rank them... you are in a very bad situation if you ranked and match into a program you don't like and then you like many of the scramble programs more (all you can really do there is try to transfer out after pgy1... very complicated).

Just remember that you rank them how you want them. That is all. If it's an amazing student and five good programs all ranked them top (ranked them X number or higher for their X spots), the student will get whichever of those program he or she ranked highest. The student dictated where they ended up, not any of the programs. If it is a crap student who a lot of programs didn't rank at all or ranked low, the match goes down and down the student's list of programs... until one who ranked the student (and didn't fill with a higher ranked). Either way, the match result still favors the student every single time.

Any program that pressures students to rank them highly "or we won't rank you high and will rank others high instead" is a joke. If any do that to you (at clerkship, interview, afterwards, etc), just lie and nod and tell them they are your #1 (even if they're your #5 or whatever). If they are not even a backup, just say you will keep that in mind and drop the contact. They are violating the rules at that point (basically trying to have their pick of backup students by hoping the students don't understand the match process and will bump their program up for fear of losing it as an option), and frankly, they deserve what they get.

...all that said, there is nothing wrong or in rule violation for a program to tell you "we liked you, we are ranking you as a top choice, so the program is yours if you want it." Likewise, students can definitely say "I feel I would fit well and learn a lot at this program, it is my top choice." The bad ethics and CRIP violation would be to pressure a program (or more likely a student) to alter or reveal their rankings... but it is totally fine if either side shows their own hand and communicates directly. I think it is wise and may elicit reciprocity. Residency programs, just like any job, tend to want someone who is talented... but also someone who wants to be there. Good luck and be patient with the process.

Scramble is nothing to be afraid of, but there won't be a lot of good residency spots in most years. The process happens fast and needs the residency to give approval for the spot to fill, so it tends to favor the residencies (whereas match definitely favored the students). Still, a good student who work fast in scramble can find quality spots... they might just have to be flexible on location. There are a few excellent students and excellent programs in the scramble every cycle (usually because they were lied to by their few presumed matches). It helps to have a basic list made up of which programs are good, fair, poor and have your residency app materials ready to fax/email if you think there is a decent possibility you might scramble... so you can hit the phones fast when the unfilled positions list comes out. It is not ideal to scramble, but you'd much rather scramble than take a proven loser of a clerkship you didn't like, city you absolutely don't want to live in, or a hospital you know doesn't get good numbers, most residents fail boards or get crummy jobs/competence afterward, director/attendings are toxic, has bad overall environment, etc. Don't fall for BS pressure to rank a program or to rank them higher... match is up to you, and students hold all of the advantages.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users