Post-Interview...Something to think about....for everyone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swanlake

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys....
Our D-day is approaching. I bet most of your guys have been to a least a couple of interviews so far. I myself have been to a number of interviews.
However, I just keep thinking after my interview whether I would get an acceptance letter or not.

We all know that after interview, our chance is somewhere between 25% and 65% something like that. However, most people think that their interview went good or okay except only a very small number of people think it didn't go well. If most of us feel like interviews were very relaxed and they did okay, then everyone should earn similar points for their interviews, which means interview might not be something that distinguishes you from other applicants. Nowdays, schools really do not put you on a spot. (At least from my experiences, all schools pretty much asked basic questions, i.e. why you want to be a dentist? Why this school? Tell me about yourself, etc) They claim that they just want to get to know you better. Is that mean schools pretty much know whom they want before invite you for an interview?(because they know, and most applicants perform similarly on their interviews).

This is my thought. Since everyone does well on the interview, I don't think that interview will get us anywhere unless you really screw it. I personally think that interviews are just a common procedure, which does not mean much. So, I am thinking that schools pretty much know whether they want you or not before they send us an invitation for an interview unless someone really shines him/herself, (which I highly doubt) the results will not change.

What do you think guys?

Any input is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, there will be the occassional person who really impresses an adcom in the interview and the occassional dude who manages to make an adcom gag during the interview. I think that is what the interview is partly about. Find the few superstars, let the rare jerks expose themselves, and give a pass on the remaining vast majority who then go on to get ranked as determined by the other selecting criteria.

I agree with what you're saying. I doubt anyone really screws up their interview. I think the interview plays a big role if you have borderline stats. On my interviews, it seems that the interviewer(s) will represent you during the admission meetings and decide whether to defend your acceptance or reject you. I think making a memorable impression with your interviewer may help if you are borderline. This way, the interviewer can say to the committee "he or she is a good candidate and I recommend them to our class". Without their support, you are dead in the water.

Members don't see this ad :)
swanlake said:
Hey, guys....
Our D-day is approaching. I bet most of your guys have been to a least a couple of interviews so far. I myself have been to a number of interviews.
However, I just keep thinking after my interview whether I would get an acceptance letter or not.

We all know that after interview, our chance is somewhere between 25% and 65% something like that. However, most people think that their interview went good or okay except only a very small number of people think it didn't go well. If most of us feel like interviews were very relaxed and they did okay, then everyone should earn similar points for their interviews, which means interview might not be something that distinguishes you from other applicants. Nowdays, schools really do not put you on a spot. (At least from my experiences, all schools pretty much asked basic questions, i.e. why you want to be a dentist? Why this school? Tell me about yourself, etc) They claim that they just want to get to know you better. Is that mean schools pretty much know whom they want before invite you for an interview?(because they know, and most applicants perform similarly on their interviews).

This is my thought. Since everyone does well on the interview, I don't think that interview will get us anywhere unless you really screw it. I personally think that interviews are just a common procedure, which does not mean much. So, I am thinking that schools pretty much know whether they want you or not before they send us an invitation for an interview unless someone really shines him/herself, (which I highly doubt) the results will not change.

What do you think guys?

Make sure you send thank you letters to each interviewer (including student interviewers) and the administrative assistant/admissions coordinator. I got only 1 thank you letter from all my interviewees. I was really impressed with that one person's thoughtfullness.
When I was an applicant I sent thank you letters to everyone involved with each interview I went on. It takes 10 minutes, you can do it at the airport while waiting for your plane, and it really means a lot, especially when other students don't do it. Sending one to the administrative person/admissions coordinator is nice too because it shows you respect everyone, not just the people who determine your fate. Everyone in the admissions office talks. If one person feels put off by you, you're not getting in. Doesn't matter if that person was the janitor.

drhobie7 said:
Make sure you send thank you letters to each interviewer (including student interviewers) and the administrative assistant/admissions coordinator. I got only 1 thank you letter from all my interviewees. I was really impressed with that one person's thoughtfullness.
When I was an applicant I sent thank you letters to everyone involved with each interview I went on. It takes 10 minutes, you can do it at the airport while waiting for your plane, and it really means a lot, especially when other students don't do it. Sending one to the administrative person/admissions coordinator is nice too because it shows you respect everyone, not just the people who determine your fate. Everyone in the admissions office talks. If one person feels put off by you, you're not getting in. Doesn't matter if that person was the janitor.

Hey, I was wondering if a thank you email is a bad idea? What do you say?

swanlake said:
Hey, guys....

What do you think guys?

i agree...the interview is just an opportunity for us to learn about their school i think. it's also an opportunity for them to persuade us to go to their school. i've had the same feeling--that everyone's interviews went well. as a result, i think they generally go back to the paper application unless someone was a complete idiot, which in that case, they would probably be rejected immediately...

r0entgen said:
i agree...the interview is just an opportunity for us to learn about their school i think. it's also an opportunity for them to persuade us to go to their school. i've had the same feeling--that everyone's interviews went well. as a result, i think they generally go back to the paper application unless someone was a complete idiot, which in that case, they would probably be rejected immediately...

Yeah, that makes sense to me. I don't think the interview can make you at most schools but it can break you if you mess up and act like a jacka$$.

I had similar thoughts... but I'm hoping for the best, I guess. It would be sad if they basically knew who they wanted and yet interviewed so many people just to see if any of the extra ones would shine during the interview.

Thanks for all of your inputs guys..
After attending a number of interviews, I wish that schools waive interviews like Law school admissions. It's good for schools, but it's pain in a butt for applicants. A couple of schools mentioned that they are looking for a specific individual, which means when you get a rejection letter that doesn't mean that you are not good enough, it's just that you are not the type of students they want. I think that schools can look for these things in their secondary applications. I don't think that they need to ask us to make a trip to their schools to find out whether he/she can fit into their schools.
It's just my thought guys. I hope that I'm not offending anyone. :eek:

swanlake said:
Thanks for all of your inputs guys..
After attending a number of interviews, I wish that schools waive interviews like Law school admissions. It's good for schools, but it's pain in a butt for applicants. A couple of schools mentioned that they are looking for a specific individual, which means when you get a rejection letter that doesn't mean that you are not good enough, it's just that you are not the type of students they want. I think that schools can look for these things in their secondary applications. I don't think that they need to ask us to make a trip to their schools to find out whether he/she can fit into their schools.
It's just my thought guys. I hope that I'm not offending anyone. :eek:

I agree with what you say about selecting for personality...it's part of their responsibility to hope that they choose the right dynamic of people to form a strong partnership and supportive student network.

However, I really don't think they can decide that from a secondary. In a conversation, you can not ponder what you'll type in a Word document, send it to your best friend to edit, then fax it over with all spelling errors removed. You are not limited to specific questions to answer, where everyone gets the same question. There is SO much about nonverbal communication, seeing how someone reacts to questions, allowing students to get to know the school (that's a BIG one), etc. etc. that makes for a proper introduction.

I agree w/ ImFeelingFine! They're just trying to make sure that you are the person that your application says you are, and that you didn't have someone else make you shine.

With that said, I am still nervous about all this interviews, because...it's a big deal! :scared: Good Luck everyone. :luck:

why do they interview so many people then? I know that the school I want to get into interviews about 120 people and only lets 45 of them in. Why do they waste their time if it is all about the paper application?

sopink said:
why do they interview so many people then? I know that the school I want to get into interviews about 120 people and only lets 45 of them in. Why do they waste their time if it is all about the paper application?

Partly it's to cover their buts. In some years, maybe out of 45, 30 people will reject their acceptance for another school. They want to make sure they can have a proper ranking of qualified students on the waitlist.

Also, I think the interview does knock out some people from consideration and also can propel some into the class. However, I think that most of the applicants are accepted based on their GPA and DAT as long as they come across as being normal during the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tha'ts exactly my point. Like Sopink said...why do they interview so many applicants? I assume that schools will hardly find applicaitons and appliants don't match. Most of times, what applicants have written is the same as what he/she possesses. For the class size of 45, I think that interviewing around 70-80 would be good enough unless the school is less selective among applicants. I heard that Temple offers around 280 admissions for the class size of 120, which is a rare case among schools.
I wish that schools grant an interview at least there are 70% or higher chances of gaining an admission. Attending an interview is not CHEAP~!!!!
I am not talking about money itself. Of course, it costs a lot, but you have make an arrangement, miss schools, etc.

Any other thought??? :rolleyes:

i agree. but could the "total" number of interviewees be calculated by the end of the year...that's why when students who were accepted declined their acceptances, more people are interviewed...

i think when they interview...they most likely would have a high chance to get accepted...and so for the first rounds, those with great qualifications are asked to be interviewed...then more are interviewed after those "qualifiers" decided to go elsewhere. i dun know, that's what i thought.

They plan to interview enough to have enough people available to fill in the declined acceptances' spots. That's what i think. :oops:

pOiiMiiOq said:
i agree. but could the "total" number of interviewees be calculated by the end of the year...that's why when students who were accepted declined their acceptances, more people are interviewed...

i think when they interview...they most likely would have a high chance to get accepted...and so for the first rounds, those with great qualifications are asked to be interviewed...then more are interviewed after those "qualifiers" decided to go elsewhere. i dun know, that's what i thought.

They plan to interview enough to have enough people available to fill in the declined acceptances' spots. That's what i think. :oops:

I agree with this and most schools accept a much higher percentage of applicants they interview early on versus late in the game. Some exceptions are schools that don't fill their class on Dec. 1 like Harvard, maybe Buffalo. But, for those schools that offer all their seats Dec. 1, interviewing early is a HUGE plus.

It's also possible that although an interview may have gone really well, when the admissions committee meets, they may decide against the candidate due to gpa, dat, etc...
The interviewee is picked out of the available apps by the assoc. dean of admissions or a few others on the admissions committee, but the whole admissions committee then looks at that candidate's app after the interview. The different members of the committee may have different criteria for which they make a decision regardless of the interview. So, even though one may make the first cut, they may not make the final cut for the same reasons they may have not made the first cut at other schools.
If you're gpa, dat, and extra-currics are good and the interview goes well, you should be ok. If you are more of a borderline candidate, like myself, then you may find that you're second guessing yourself, more so everyday that is closer to Dec 1st. :scared:

oldboy said:
It's also possible that although an interview may have gone really well, when the admissions committee meets, they may decide against the candidate due to gpa, dat, etc...
The interviewee is picked out of the available apps by the assoc. dean of admissions or a few others on the admissions committee, but the whole admissions committee then looks at that candidate's app after the interview. The different members of the committee may have different criteria for which they make a decision regardless of the interview. So, even though one may make the first cut, they may not make the final cut for the same reasons they may have not made the first cut at other schools.
If you're gpa, dat, and extra-currics are good and the interview goes well, you should be ok. If you are more of a borderline candidate, like myself, then you may find that you're second guessing yourself, more so everyday that is closer to Dec 1st. :scared:

But you know what, Dec 1st is just a day we, the students, pump up. Everyone here has applied to a lot of schools and many will get multiple acceptances. If we don't get in 1st round, chances are that we will in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th round.

No sweat hommies, just relax and enjoy the holidays :)

oldboy said:
but the whole admissions committee then looks at that candidate's app after the interview.

This brings up another possible answer for why interviews are so important and we consider them so significant. Once you have interviewed, your interviewer then represents YOU, and defends (or rejects) you to the rest of the committee. So it's also a chance for someone to get an idea of you and represent you to the adcom since you can't be there yourself to stand on the table and do a song and dance. ;)

...damn, if that WAS the case, give me a leotard, top hat, and fishnets and I'll go to town!

sopink said:

I thought Dr. Kuster said that there are 150 interviewees for UNMC. 1 in 3 are fantastic odds if you ask me.

I don't think that most schools fill their class by Dec. 1st. What I'm guessing is that schools (except a few) will send out acceptance letters equal to their incoming class size, and then go from there depends on how many accept/reject their offer.

When I was at Columbia, Dr. McManus told us that he hates that schools cannot send out acceptance letters before Dec. 1st. Columbia have a vote on applicants a week after their interviews. So, basically your decision is made on a week after your interview, but you won't find out until the Dec. 1st. However, it seemed like that Columbia might send out more acceptance letters than their class size. Dr. McManus said something like "After sending out letters on Dec. 1st, I always worry that what if I over accept applicants"
If he hasn't send out letters more than their class size, he shouldn't worry about that. On the other hand, Harvard clearly stated that they don't fill up their class by Dec 1st. They said that they would like to give an equal opportunity to applicants applying late in the cycle.

So, I guess that a number of acceptance letters on Dec. 1st varies depending on schools. Good luck everyone~~!!!!

:thumbup: :D :thumbup:

well, yeah, 1 out of 3 is really good, but I just don't see why they are interviewing 100 people more than they need to...especially when it's not even the same people interviewing everyone.... I don't know, I just want December 1 to come, then none of this matters (maybe)

sopink said:
well, yeah, 1 out of 3 is really good, but I just don't see why they are interviewing 100 people more than they need to...especially when it's not even the same people interviewing everyone.... I don't know, I just want December 1 to come, then none of this matters (maybe)
i think everyone is worrying too much about this. heheh. Just go to the interview, give it your best shot, and hope for the best. And yes, you may also ask the adcoms "these" questions...but then, I wouldn't recommend it while you're there. hehe. cOuNtDoWn for the 1st is still occuring...but like most know...just hope for the best. If not the first, then 2nd and 3rd...but just hope at least you get into one of the acceptance rounds. GOOD LUCK TO US! :luck: (p.s. i'm very scared myself, but i'm trying to keep my "cool" :scared: :laugh: )

I guess I'm glad I'm travelling on Dec. 1 and that I have an interview on Dec. 2. At least I'll be busy and have something to take my mind off of Dec. 1. :D

sopink said:

Most likely because not everyone who is interviewed will accept. When I interviewed, I was the only resident of NE present (30-32 residents, 13-15 non-residents accepted per year). Many of the other students that are out of state also applied to other schools where they might accept. For that reason alone, most schools have to extend offers to more than their class size. Second reason would be to make certain somebody is good on both paper and in person. I would guess that many outstanding students are not exactly what a school may be looking for when it comes to personality and communication skills.

My brother is now a 4th year at USC and when he was interviewing there a lady adcom came out and said, "ok....who wants to take notes for this meeting?"

One of the interviewees shot his hand up in the air and shouted, "NOT IT! EEHEHEH!!".

I think all of the other people being interviewed were thanking that guy in their minds.