Post interview thank you letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exacto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I hand write or email these to the school? Also do I only write one letter per each person who interviewed me or should I send one to the dean as well?

Members don't see this ad.

I wrote one per interviewer and one to the dean... Felt inclined to write more (we were introduced to quite a few faculty members at ACOM) but thought it might be overkill...

I just sent emails. Notes are fine, but I figure that these might not make it to the right hands and/or they might not reach the individual in time a decision is made.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be surprised if they went anywhere immediately besides the trash.

I don't think it matters beside express your professionalism.

I just emailed my interviewers and say thank you for spending there time to interview me and give me information

How long did you guys typically make your thank yous?

I emailed them while waiting in the airport. A simple "thank you for your time today, you made me feel welcomed blah blah blah" was enough for me. They all responded to me and thanked me for the email. It definitely doesn't hurt your chances.

Reactions: 1 user
For ACOM I did an email to each of my two interviewers because I didn't think mail would get there on time. For MSU Friday I am going to write it immediately after and stick it in the mail before I leave the city. It's an MMI so I'll just send to the admissions office. I have cute stationary so I like writing letters, but I think an email is sufficient as well!

Was always told to hand write the letter from multiple people so I did. I don't know if it makes any difference or not but it didn't hurt me.

Dear Dr. X,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you so much for taking the time to interview me. I feel so honored that Xcom made me fly across the country to visit a school in a world where things like virtual tours and skype exist. It was especially thoughtful to use the $50-$100 I spent on my secondary application to feed me a meal that costs $5. How generous! Following this, it was so informative to be given a tour of the facilities and be told basic information about the program that's available on the website. Never mind the fact that had I not known it before showing up, you would have considered me uninterested and instantly rejected me. The way you haphazardly skimmed my application for several seconds as I was sitting down really shows you care about me as an applicant! Finally, when I asked about important things like dedicated board prep time and clinical education you were so vague, non-specific, and baselessly positive. It really showed me that the only person who actually bothered preparing for the interview was me. Thanks for the stress-induced anger ulcer.

Sincerely,
Jaded applicant

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Should I hand write or email these to the school? Also do I only write one letter per each person who interviewed me or should I send one to the dean as well?
A medical school admissions consultant (Suzanne Miller) with an MD from Harvard said to hand write all thank you notes so I would take her advice for whatever it's worth.

Last edited:
Dear Dr. X,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you so much for taking the time to interview me. I feel so honored that Xcom made me fly across the country to visit a school in a world where things like virtual tours and skype exist. It was especially thoughtful to use the $50-$100 I spent on my secondary application to feed me a meal that costs $5. How generous! Following this, it was so informative to be given a tour of the facilities and be told basic information about the program that's available on the website. Never mind the fact that had I not known it before showing up, you would have considered me uninterested and instantly rejected me. The way you haphazardly skimmed my application for several seconds as I was sitting down really shows you care about me as an applicant! Finally, when I asked about important things like dedicated board prep time and clinical education you were so vague, non-specific, and baselessly positive. It really showed me that the only person who actually bothered preparing for the interview was me. Thanks for the stress-induced anger ulcer.

Sincerely,
Jaded applicant

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So true...