post match emails

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kima

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
this may seem odd, but did any of you contact programs at which you interviewed but did not match, wishing them good luck and telling them how great they were...and all the jazz...just wondering..

Members don't see this ad.

I emailed one program coordinator/secretary to say where I matched and how much I appreciated all her effort and time, etc.
The email was extremely well recieved and I am glad I did it.
Part of me wanted to do that for more programs but I ended up just emailing the program where I was sure they would remember me and that I thought really liked me. (she ended up practically telling me how I had been ranked!)
Glad I did it.

As long as it is sincere, I think it is a great idea. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks Penguins, I thought about doing it also because I really appreciated how some programs went out of their way but I was hesitating...wouldn't want them to think that I am kissing as$...I guess when you're sincere, it gets through even in an email.

K

kima said:
this may seem odd, but did any of you contact programs at which you interviewed but did not match
How about a little twist to your question - Contacting a program on the Post-Match Vacancy list that I interviewed at and obviously was not ranked, because I ranked it and did not match, period? In this case, would they want to hear the likes of me again? Or would they reconsider me, now that they did not fill? Sorry if this is on a tangent...

goldengate, I think of it as risk vs benefit....what are the risks for you to re-contact the program other than them not granting you the unfilled position...if I were a PD I would rather fill the position with somebody that I interviewed already, the program may have been overconfident and only ranked a small number of applicants, it does not mean that you are worthless...I say give it a try

hope this helps, and good luck!

K

Somebody else posted that they contacted a program on the vacancy list and they were told the program had taken someone they had already interviewed. So it must happen....
Good Luck!!
(Did you check into Mississippi? They are still listed and, seriously, it was an awesome program. The location isn't the greatest but the city is more metropolitan than you might think. They give PGY-1)

Thank you Kima and Penguins...I took your advice and contacted the program today...and get this - I asked about the vacancy...and was asked to identify myself, and THEN was told the position has been filled, though it is still posted. I immediately became suspicious because I DID have bad post-interview vibes from that place...so they must have not ranked me FOR A REASON, and that reason must still hold fast. Whether or not the position is truly filled or not is not my business anymore. Ironically, Penguins, the program you suggested is the program in question. It is unfortunate that I left a less than desired impression with them. But life goes on =) OK, that's a fake smile =P