Post-Match Positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tygrardds

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how the process of filling open positions after Match works? Would they require an application/scores/recommendations? Is there a way to send a PASS application to any of these programs with openings? Thanks for any information.

Members don't see this ad.

hi,

After the match, for those who participated a list is generated for those who did not match and for those programs with open positions. They can log on to the site and get the list of programs with open positions and candidates who did not match.

Programs generally review the candidates that applied and are still unmatched – since they have all the information. Programs will start calling those they are interested in. If the program has no information on you, they won’t call.

Candidates will see the programs that have openings. Since many programs have web sites, the students can check them out. They generally call the programs and start getting information together and mailing or faxing it in. The PASS program has all/most of the information, but it may take time to forward it.

I would suggest looking at other locations/programs, just in case. If you feel you did not get all the interviews you expected, review your application, essay, etc. See if you can improve it, since you may mail information faster than PASS. I would suggest that if you see a program you might be interested but did not apply to in time, write them a letter or email. Ask them to think about if they have a spot open, either send information with your letter or ask them is they would want you to mail anything in, in case.

The best way should have been done before applying, but it is never too late. Ask recent grads from your school and your faculty. They may suggest programs you never thought about. They can tell more about programs and what they experienced.

Our program, Christiana Care, is in PASS, but not the match. Our goal is to blend the residents to get a team that works together. This year we have five different universities represented out of our 8 residents. We started with 10, but one couldn’t graduate by the end of July as expected, the other we released to allow him to go into an OMS program this year. We generally leave one spot open for after the match. We have found that students, who learn they want a residency late, often become some of the best residents.

Good luck, if I can be of help, let me know.