Post-Match Second Thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hard24Get

The black sleepymed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious whether anyone out there matched and now are having second thoughts about their specialty or their program choice?

Congrats to all!

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't want the spot, can i have it? lol

During the three weeks after I submitted my ROL, I ended up wondering whether I made the right decision. You have all this time to ponder every scenario and end up looking for positives about ending up at every place on your list, even some negatives. After opening that envelope though, all that doubt was gone and now I'm excited as hell!

I only wish that I had some friends coming to the city I matched in since so many ended up in the same areas. But that too, shall pass.

Best possible outcome for me, I doubt I could be happier.

Heck no!!! I am absolutely ecstatic!:D :D

No second thoughts here, couldn't be happier. :D

I've been having some buyer's remorse since the match yesterday.

I matched into my top choice and it's a top notch program, but I was wondering if I should've ranked other programs higher. I really like the program, but the city isn't great and I don't know that many people there.

I am so happy that I will be leaving the cold, gloomy h*llhole called Cleveland for greener pastures in Austin. I can't stop smiling.:D

Let the birthing begin:luck:

Congrats to everyone who matched. This was a very competitive year.

I have HUGE regrets....totally wished I went about the whole match thing entirely differently.......

I'M LEAVING THE MIDWEST!!! WHOOOOOO!

(nope, no second thoughts right now! :D i'm thrilled! :D )

Please explain?? :confused:

Well, I just loved so many programs I interviewed at and had a very hard time deciding how to rank them all so I just kind of randomly numbered them 1-10. And I was honest and only contacted my number one to tell them they were my number one. If I could do it again I would have made more of an effort to "remind" places where I interviewed early in the season of me and let them know I was still really interested. I was told so many times that it wasn't necessary and didn't make a difference, but I should have done it anyway because it really couldn't have hurt.

Well, I just loved so many programs I interviewed at and had a very hard time deciding how to rank them all so I just kind of randomly numbered them 1-10. And I was honest and only contacted my number one to tell them they were my number one. If I could do it again I would have made more of an effort to "remind" places where I interviewed early in the season of me and let them know I was still really interested. I was told so many times that it wasn't necessary and didn't make a difference, but I should have done it anyway because it really couldn't have hurt.

then i assume you didn't match at your #1 and matched lower than you had planned. sorry to hear that. BUT, you still like OB/GYN, right?!:)

well it doesn't have to be that you didn't match at your #1 to have regrets...i did match at #1, but do have some regret. I was having a terrible time coming up with my list, and when the deadline was up, I had narrowed down my top two to one which was an incredible program in a less desireable location, and one which was not as great of a program in an incredible location. So i went with location as #1, and reflecting back on it and thinking about the future, feel like I should have gone with the program and the doors it would open for me in the future:(

well it doesn't have to be that you didn't match at your #1 to have regrets...i did match at #1, but do have some regret. I was having a terrible time coming up with my list, and when the deadline was up, I had narrowed down my top two to one which was an incredible program in a less desireable location, and one which was not as great of a program in an incredible location. So i went with location as #1, and reflecting back on it and thinking about the future, feel like I should have gone with the program and the doors it would open for me in the future:(

your decision on location was stupid and shortsighted, but you know this already.

good luck though. :luck:

I ended up at my number 2 and days after feb 22 I wanted to end at my number 2 and not at my number 1, God heard me!!!

neurotica,
i ranked a top program in a crappy city #1. my #2 was a solid program in the best city in the country in my opinion. i matched at #2 and while i'm psyched, i still have part of me that wonders if i might have just heard a couple doors closing in terms of post residency opportunities. plus i have to go through telling my parents that my program really is a very good program even though they haven't heard of it. tough to say which situation is worse.

your decision on location was stupid and shortsighted, but you know this already.

Yikes... There is more to life than "career options". I forgot the source of the study or survey, but many physicians end up practicing near the location of their residency. Quality of life is important, too...and you will want to enjoy those bits of free time!

I am so happy that I will be leaving the cold, gloomy h*llhole called Cleveland for greener pastures in Austin.

Welcome to town!

There's actually a restaurant in Austin called Green Pastures...no kidding! Kind of old-fartish, but a great place to take the parents for brunch, especially if they're paying. ;)

Anyone out there who now wishes they put a philly program first?

Yikes... There is more to life than "career options". I forgot the source of the study or survey, but many physicians end up practicing near the location of their residency. Quality of life is important, too...and you will want to enjoy those bits of free time!

depends on if you're career oriented or not. since we're all overachievers to some degree, then maximizing career success only seems natural. that would entail matching at the best program regardless of the city. but to each their own.

i also am familiar with that study but i'm not gonna base my residency decision on where most people end up practicing. i've lived my life doing things most people don't do, so why stop now.

btw, i did say good luck. so i don't think i was harsh.

let me guess, you're going into surgery? While I'm not happy with the decision now, i don't call looking at the next four years of my life, after four years of living in a crappy city for medical school "short-sighted."

let me guess, you're going into surgery? While I'm not happy with the decision now, i don't call looking at the next four years of my life, after four years of living in a crappy city for medical school "short-sighted."

Hey, no need to rag on surgery like that. I think this overachieving tool ("i've lived my life doing things most people don't do, so why stop now." Yeah, refusing to use the shift key or question marks really makes you a rebel.) is going into path.

Oh, and just so you don't think I'm being harsh: good luck, Villin. :luck: :luck:

Shortsighted and stupid? What an idiotic statement. While going to a better program may improve one's chances of getting the fellowship one wants, it doesn't guarantee it. And going to a lesser known program doesn't automatically mean one is going to get shafted in terms of fellowship options.

Being in a great city, especially one where you have a lot of family and friends, is a very important consideration for a lot of people. That's how it was for me. I hated the city I went to medical school in and now I'm ecstatic about living somewhere where I actually want to live. It's going to be for the next three or more years of my life and that is not a short amount of time. If you work hard, regardless of where you are, you'll most likely get a decent fellowship.

Sometimes nerds like you need to realize that life is shorter than you think.

I ended up at my number 2 and days after feb 22 I wanted to end at my number 2 and not at my number 1, God heard me!!!

The EXACT same thing happened to me. No joke. The only difference was that I started praying for my #2 choice on March 14.

this would have been nice to know in your original post, don't you think? it's one thing to endure a bad place for 4 yrs, but for 8 yrs it is a TOTALLY different story. knowing this, you are much better off at the program in a desirable location. i wish you the best.

oh face and entei...:thumbup: :rolleyes: why don't you read her post describing her apprehension about ending up at her #1 based on location? did she not say that she wanted a place that would open doors for her? sounds to me she is career oriented, otherwise who cares where she is going for residency. therefore, it would have made sense if she chose reputation...hence my comments.

this is a forum people. people ask for advice/comments. chillax people and good luck in residency!

The EXACT same thing happened to me. No joke. The only difference was that I started praying for my #2 choice on March 14.
I totally understand!!!!

why don't you read her post describing her apprehension about ending up at her #1 based on location? did she not say that she wanted a place that would open doors for her? sounds to me she is career oriented, otherwise who cares where she is going for residency. therefore, it would have made sense if she chose reputation.

Not to belabor the point, but I think you read too much into Neurotica's post. Here it is again:
i did match at #1, but do have some regret. I was having a terrible time coming up with my list, and when the deadline was up, I had narrowed down my top two to one which was an incredible program in a less desireable location, and one which was not as great of a program in an incredible location. So i went with location as #1, and reflecting back on it and thinking about the future, feel like I should have gone with the program and the doors it would open for me in the future

A sensible person would read this post and conclude that the poster was already having a tough time deciding between #1 and #2, ultimately decided to rank them giving preference to location, and is having some buyer's remorse after struggling with such a big decision. Someone who wants to throw his weight around on an anonymous message board, however, would seize the opportunity to accuse the poster of being "stupid and shortsighted" because they didn't sacrifice their happiness on the altar of "career success"... despite the fact that the poster likely will be just as successful spending 3+ years in a good program in a good city as she would spending 3+ years in an excellent program in a crappy city.

I don't want to derail the thread any further, but from your first post in this thread, Villin, it's obvious you've only posted here to try to elevate your own ego at the expense of others. The thread is obviously titled. If you don't have any second thoughts about where you matched, then that's great, but is it really necessary to laugh at the people who do? Don't pretend to be upset when you act like a tool and then get called out on it.

All the best. :luck: :rolleyes:

I echo Entei's sentiments exactly. Neurotica posted a very valid concern that a lot of people probably faced and she ultimately chose being happy over fractionally improving her fellowship options. Such a decision is in no way short-sighted and/or stupid. Villen, regardless of what information she provided or failed to provide, what the hell makes you think you have the right to say something like that to someone? I guess it's because it's an anonymous forum where you don't have to cower in fear of others like you probably do in most social situations.

I have 2nd thoughts all the time, as does my g/f. We tried to couples match but it didn't work out too well. The programs that we both liked didn't rank us highly as a couple. We ended up matching in 2 great programs that we both love but......we had programs that were closer together that we could have ranked higher. We didn't rank them higher b/c we didn't think we'd be happy there. Do I regret it? I'm not sure yet, I'll get back to you in a few years.

I am so happy that I will be leaving the cold, gloomy h*llhole called Cleveland for greener pastures in Austin. I can't stop smiling.:D

Cleveland must seriously suck if you're excited about moving to Texas. :D ;)

never been to Texas then cause Texas > all :D

And Austin >>>>> Cleveland.

it's absolutely natural to have mixed/bittersweet feelings after the match regardless of how excited one is about where they matched. for me the match process enabled me to explore new cities and programs that i had no knowledge of before. even though i am thrilled about where i matched, i still think about the doors that i have closed. i think second thoughts, maybe even regret all come with the turf in the match process. one can be sad about turning down a new city/region of the country/big name school and still be happy with where they matched. the two are not mutually exclusive.

Since we are on the topic of regrets. I would be interested in hearing if people had regrets because they ended up at a place due to ranking based on location. Or if anyone had regrets about ending up at a place due to ranking based on the love of the program. From what I have gathered it seems more people regret ending up at a place because they ranked based on their impressions about the program rather than location.

Since we are on the topic of regrets. I would be interested in hearing if people had regrets because they ended up at a place due to ranking based on location. Or if anyone had regrets about ending up at a place due to ranking based on the love of the program. From what I have gathered it seems more people regret ending up at a place because they ranked based on their impressions about the program rather than location.

This are interesting questions. I ended up matching at a program (great program, don't get me wrong) that I ranked highly because of location. I don't regret it one bit, because in my world, if I'm not happy in my life, then I'm not happy at work. So I have no regrets about putting it above some of the more esteemed programs.

As far as impressions of a program go, that was a tough one to judge on the interview trail. There were some places that I got a vibe from, but for the most part approximately 15 of my programs seemed like perfectly reasonable places. And remember, some programs can put on a great face for interview day....but then at 2 am......