Post-match surveys

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhakeDoc

Mudder Phudder
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ah, so the survey invites begin. I have to say, I'm uncomfortable with the emails I've received since they each refer to the program at which I did match by name (and many of these programs that were high on my list are places I would definitely consider either doing fellowships and/or wanting to be an attending). I think this post-interaction is very much tilted in favor of programs (yet once again the med student doesn't have equal footing). I really think NRMP should not release the program names to PDs. It's not that folks who matched at #2 downwards get any opportunity of feedback from their #1, etc. program.

I assume they only send out survey requests to individuals who were higher on the program's ROL than the ones that matched? Or is it to everyone? With that said, however, I'm not against filling out the surveys. I just wish the whole process was more equitable.

Members don't see this ad.

I assume they only send out survey requests to individuals who were higher on the program's ROL than the ones that matched? Or is it to everyone? With that said, however, I'm not against filling out the surveys. I just wish the whole process was more equitable.

There's nothing that prevents you from either not filling out the surveys or sending a survey to programs you ranked higher than where you matched. I'm not sure what's not equitable about the process. They're looking for statistical data that could help them improve their program and recruiting process. It's not like they're looking to stick it to you.

And yes, some places send surveys to everyone they ranked. Even if they only matched halfway down their ROL, they'll send surveys to everyone on the ROL who didn't match to their program, even those who matched higher on their own personal rank list (since programs can't tell where you matched on your ROL).

I really think NRMP should not release the program names to PDs. It's not that folks who matched at #2 downwards get any opportunity of feedback from their #1, etc. program.

I actually don't mind programs finding out where I went but I can understand some others being upset. I have no problem with programs trying to improve their match for future seasons but the OP does bring up an interesting point which came up actually in another thread about applicants sending surveys to programs that didn't match them. I could see this helping unmatched individuals that took the time to send them tremendously since they may be unaware of how they interview. It may also point out a recurring theme and give them a clear goal for the next cycle.

Also dont forget, if a program ranked you they know where you matched allready.

I received a survey from a program that didn't send me an interview. I found that so rude!

Do you think it is okay to contact the top programs on my list and survey them on why I wasn't selected???

Do you think it is okay to contact the top programs on my list and survey them on why I wasn't selected???

It would be a hugely douche-y thing to do. And as such, I wholeheartedly support it.

I figure if a program that you ranked higher than where you matched sends you a survey asking why you didn't rank them, there's no reason not to ask them the same question.

If worded nicely, I think it's fine. You're simply asking because you perhaps will apply for fellowships in the future, and are looking for feedback.

Honestly, you're likely to get back "You were a really great candidate. However, this year we had many hghly qualified candidates, and you simply ranked below them"

I received a survey from a program that didn't send me an interview. I found that so rude!

I agree.If you didn't rank me high enough or worse didn't even invite me for an interview stick your stupid survey up your *$$.

wow...how uncool of them...
Reminds me of one of the very general rejection letters I received which talked about how they very specifically reviewed each and every application. It was dated with one date that had a line through it, and had a second one above it written in with pen.:rolleyes:

If you don't mind burning bridges, you could always rip their survey up and mail it back in their prepaid envelope if it was a hardcopy. My grandmother use to do this with her junkmail :laugh:

If worded nicely, I think it's fine. You're simply asking because you perhaps will apply for fellowships in the future, and are looking for feedback.

Honestly, you're likely to get back "You were a really great candidate. However, this year we had many hghly qualified candidates, and you simply ranked below them"

Thanks, I will do this. I thought everything was cool with the program and I, ranked them #1, but didn't get it. Doesn't hurt, does it??

Is there an ERAS filter that can look at all applicants who were ranked but didn't match? Do they send it to all interviewees? Can they exclude people who actually matched at the program (for obvious reasons)? I wonder who they target in these (sometimes invasive) postmatch surveys.

This would be fine. Most program directors will be honest with you (and in many cases, the honest answer will be "sorry, we really liked you, but the bottom line is that there were many competitive applicants who we liked better than you").

In a minority of cases you might get a more "substantive" (?concrete) response, like "based on your interview, some of our faculty interviewers had concerns about your ability to connect with patients", or "we heard reports from two residents about some inappropriate comments you made during the noon luncheon", etc.

-AT.

I have a question for everyone: I received a survey from a school I ranked in my top 3, however I ended up matching a lot lower on my list. They claim that they only send these surveys out to people "who we ranked above the last person who filled the class"

If this was true.. I should have matched with them! Am I interpreting this wrong?

I have a question for everyone: I received a survey from a school I ranked in my top 3, however I ended up matching a lot lower on my list. They claim that they only send these surveys out to people "who we ranked above the last person who filled the class"

If this was true.. I should have matched with them! Am I interpreting this wrong?

No, you're correct. This is very strange. I would call them and verify.

I have a friend who didn't match and has gotten multiple of these (and yes, she checked and her list is entered correctly). I think they might send this to anyone they ranked, regardless of how far down on their list they go.

I have a friend who didn't match and has gotten multiple of these (and yes, she checked and her list is entered correctly). I think they might send this to anyone they ranked, regardless of how far down on their list they go.

I got surveys from programs that didn't even invite me for an interview.I found it shameless and quickly deleted them but anyone can send you a survey.