Post MI Bradycardia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adagio

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read that all PostMI bradycardias are treated FIRSTLY with atropine THEN with pace maker if atropine do not help ... my question here is:

if we have 3rd degree heart block, do we follow this rule!??! arent we supposed to do pacing ALWAYS after atropine? what if atropine relieves the problem now? shouldnt we put a pacemaker anyway?

Members don't see this ad.

I read that all PostMI bradycardias are treated FIRSTLY with atropine THEN with pace maker if atropine do not help ... my question here is:

if we have 3rd degree heart block, do we follow this rule!??! arent we supposed to do pacing ALWAYS after atropine? what if atropine relieves the problem now? shouldnt we put a pacemaker anyway?

You're correct; all second degree type II and third degree AV blocks should have temporary pacing. So both a) Being refractory to atropine and b) type II second-degree + third degree AV blocks are indications for temporary pacing. All post-MI patients with sinus bradycardia who has other cardiac symptoms (hypotension, angina, syncope, CHF) should also have temporary pacing.

So you agree on the point that despite 3rd block needing pacemaker, we should administer atropine first and THEN put a pacemaker (no matter what effect the atropine has)