Post MS MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AeroBioFluids

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my BS in Aerospace Engineering and will be getting my MS in the same field. My research is on a bio-fluid dynamic topic though. It may seem odd for an aero engineer to do this but we do have a lot of fluid dynamic experience compared to other majors. I have been thinking about the MD/PhD path and have some questions.

My plan would be to get the joint degree in Bioengineering to further study biofluid dynamics and have the MD to support my research throughout my career. How rare is it for someone to start this program at 24 after they have received a MS already? Also, have you ever heard of someone coming from aerospace engineering to an MD/PhD program because it seems like most here are from majors like Biology and Chemistry. Do most universities allow me to put MS credits towards the MD/PhD? Will my grad school GPA be more important than my undergrad GPA for admittance?

I have a lot of math and physics experience from my major but only a little bio and chem experience. Does anyone think it is possible to study the bio and chem required for the MCATs, by myself, in a year...while in grad school?

I was also wondering, after reading posts on this forum, if most pursue the joint degree to become a physician who does research on the side or if they pursue it to become just a researcher with MD experience? I don't plan on becoming a practicing physician with this degree or going into residency or internship...is it still for me?

Members don't see this ad.

I got my BS in Aerospace Engineering and will be getting my MS in the same field. My research is on a bio-fluid dynamic topic though. It may seem odd for an aero engineer to do this but we do have a lot of fluid dynamic experience compared to other majors. I have been thinking about the MD/PhD path and have some questions.

My plan would be to get the joint degree in Bioengineering to further study biofluid dynamics and have the MD to support my research throughout my career. How rare is it for someone to start this program at 24 after they have received a MS already? Also, have you ever heard of someone coming from aerospace engineering to an MD/PhD program because it seems like most here are from majors like Biology and Chemistry. Do most universities allow me to put MS credits towards the MD/PhD? Will my grad school GPA be more important than my undergrad GPA for admittance?

This sounds very similar to my experience. However, I got my BS and MS in chemical engineering, along with an extra degree in physics. My MS thesis project was very thermo and CFD heavy (maybe on par with yours), and at first glance did not seem to have much to do with the typical medical research going on at most schools. I was 24 when I started.

A lot of people here will tell you that what you do research in doesn't matter, but I disagree some. My experience when I interviewed (~3 years ago) is that the programs are either going to be very hot or quite cold towards you as an applicant, not warm. I was surprised to learn how receptive some of the BME programs were about my research background, with tons of fluid applications especially in current cardiovascular research. While not manditory, you will be pressed to find a research lab that has some medical application (esp. MSTP programs), and this may prove difficult at some schools, so you may be limited somewhat here depending on what you want to do with your combined MD/PhD. As for transferring credit, most schools I got accepted to allowed me transfer quite a bit (anywhere from 15 to 30ish credits), but keep in mind that by going BME, you will probably not be able to transfer as many MD credits as most other MSTPers. I will have to complete about as many graduate level courses as most of my peers in the end. My UG GPA was not hot (~3.6), but I pulled a 4.0 in grad school, and unfortunately, this did not seem to turn any heads.

I strongly advise you to do your homework and find a potential interviewer who will have some say in the whole admissions process who will understand your work. If they spend their life doing gene modification and you come in with 4 pubs in plasma thrusters, there is going to be a fundamental communication barrier.

I have a lot of math and physics experience from my major but only a little bio and chem experience. Does anyone think it is possible to study the bio and chem required for the MCATs, by myself, in a year...while in grad school?

Its hard to study for the MCAT while in grad school, but possible. Do not blow it off. This is probably the single most important items in terms of make or break for the admissions folks, especially for you since many will be hesitant to accept you because your research is so different. If you can prove you can handle the biomedical knowledge, then this will make life easier for you.

I was also wondering, after reading posts on this forum, if most pursue the joint degree to become a physician who does research on the side or if they pursue it to become just a researcher with MD experience? I don't plan on becoming a practicing physician with this degree or going into residency or internship...is it still for me

I haven't decided yet what I am going to do. Right now, I would say that I am leaning towards industry, but that may very likely change. However, the one constant bit of advice I have received from every physician scientist is "Do a residency, the MD is worthless without it" So, this is my plan. At least for now. I would be careful in expressing your complete lack of desire to ever practice medicine (i.e. no residency). This really lies outside the original intention of the MSTP, and may turn some people off.

Hope this helps some. In terms of your original question re: an aerospace engineering in a MD/PhD program, I only know of one: There is some dude at UIUC doing this, maybe he has already graduated, its been a while. Maybe you can look him up.

I got my BS in Aerospace Engineering and will be getting my MS in the same field... It may seem odd for an aero engineer to do ...have you ever heard of someone coming from aerospace engineering to an MD/PhD program because it seems like most here are from majors like Biology and Chemistry...?

Ever heard of this guy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Diamandis

Cheers,

MSTPbound

Members don't see this ad :)
Does transferring credits cut back on the time individuals spend in an MD/PhD program or will they instead be required to take other classes in place of what were transferred? Also, what if someone finishes a master's at a school that has an MD/PhD program, gets accepted into this program, and chooses to get a PhD in the same discipline as his/her master's is it possible for the length of time for completion to be shortened? Thanks in advanced for taking the time to answer my question.

Also, what if someone finishes a master's at a school that has an MD/PhD program, gets accepted into this program, and chooses to get a PhD in the same discipline as his/her master's is it possible for the length of time for completion to be shortened? .
Depends on the school but this is the case for the school where I'm currently getting an MS in Cancer Pharm. Not only that, I also won't have to retake any med school courses I complete too but I will need to "replace" those credits with enrollment in other courses like thesis research.

Does that mean you will be able to complete in a shorter time frame since you will use the time to work on your thesis research as opposed to taking classes? Also, is the funding you receive affected by going this route?

Does that mean you will be able to complete in a shorter time frame since you will use the time to work on your thesis research as opposed to taking classes? Also, is the funding you receive affected by going this route?
I could possibly complete my thesis in a shorter amount of time, but as you probably know in research there are no guarentees. And no, funding won't be affected but an important distinction to make here is that my school isn't funded by MSTP which I'm sure contributes to the flexibility of the program.