post one or more helpful tip for people who will be applying....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am in my 2nd yr undergrad. For those you who are in dental school or in the process of applying, What are some things that you wish you'd known when you applied?? What helpful tips/advices you guys have for pre-dent? Let's keep up this thread so future dental applicants can benefit from it.

Members don't see this ad.

Here are things that I think are important. Ask for you letter of recs during the begining of Spring Quarter. Apply early, sometime around June. Work hard on your personal statement and study well for your DATs. Take your DATs early so you can complete your application by August. Don't forget to keep your GPA up also.

Carefully Select your schools and apply as soon as possible (may, june). Look for + and - of each program ($, location, program). Can you honestly see yourself living in this city? Does this school even accept out of state applications (and if so from which states?). Keep your application number of schools under 10. I personally picked 5.

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Smooth Operater said:
Hello! I am in my 2nd yr undergrad. For those you who are in dental school or in the process of applying, What are some things that you wish you'd known when you applied?? What helpful tips/advices you guys have for pre-dent? Let's keep up this thread so future dental applicants can benefit from it.

1. Have fun in undergrad and enjoy that your friends live less than a minute's walk from you.
2. Don't take for granted that most of your pals in undergrad come from a similar background and are probably in a similar age group and probably have a lot in common with you. The people sitting around you in dental school might be married with 3 kids.
3. Appreciate the slackers whether you are one or your friends are. In some ways they have a better perspective on academics and life than the competitive people.
4. Find out your prospective dental school's basic science curriculum and take those classes in undergrad. Try not to avoid them. You don't need a 4.0 to get into dental school so a semester of microbiology or physiology in undergrad even if you don't get an A is fine. Aim for the B. The experience is worth it.
5. Shadow a dentist and collect teeth. Get details on how to store teeth. If you can assist, do it. Get as much hands on experience as you can. If you have a way of learning how to carve wax or pour models do it. If not, its ok but try to see as much as you can before you get here. Saves some time.
6. Go out and have fun every weekend. There might be more than a few weekends here when you don't get to do that. And keep up with all your hobbies.
7. If you don't have a close relative who is a dentist, try and find a mentor. Ask them how they like their job. Ask them stuff that you can't learn in a school.
8. Most of the people in my class took a DAT kaplan course. It worked, obviously. I bought books instead of taking a course. I used Kaplan (the book was harder than the actual test I remember) and Barron's (the PAT section was better than kaplan). Keep practicing. You WILL improve. The more you practice the PAT section, the easier it will be. Kaplan is excellent. Its concise and easy to read and I don't remember seeing any unfamiliar topics on the DAT.
9. On interviews ask students what they really think. I mean really.. take them aside and ask what the best and worst aspects of the school are. The school is scoping you out but you are scoping out the school too.
10. Don't go to a dental school because the city around it rocks. You won't have that much time for at least the first two years.
11. Figure out if you like research or clinical work. Pick your school accordingly.
12. Do you mind bad areas with a big patient pool? Pick your school accordingly.
13. Do you want prestige? Pick your school accordingly.
14. Do you mind being 4 hours from home as opposed to 30 minutes? Pick your school accordingly. And there will be times when you want to talk to your mom because you hate everyone and everything.
15. If you are a creative person who likes art and music, you will feel stifled here because everyone's all about school all the time. And when they aren't.. they want to hit the bars. The stoner in the back of the room at my uber-liberal-arts college has faded away. This place is hardcore. There are some cool people here but far less than in undergrad.
16. If you get an interview request, post about it here and get some tips. You can be mellow and have a sense of humor at some schools.
17. Get your study habits and time management skills in gear now.
18. Don't be daunted. It's a process. You have to have a decent GPA, a decent DAT score, some semblance of a personality, and a desire to be a dentist. You have 4+ years to get that. Of course its not easy but don't make it scare you either. If you're tired after undergrad or want to backpack across europe and you can afford to do so... then do it. Have fun. You don't have to get into dental school when you are 21 or 22. Most of the people here are at least a couple years older than that.
19. Really want to do this. There will be days when you have 12 more impossible chapters to read and you want to give up because you feel like its hopeless. Wanting to be a dentist (or maybe knowing you can sleep the entire next day when the exam is over) will get you through it.

I hope that helps a little.

PLAN EARLY! HAVE YOUR AADSAS ready to go my early may! You goal is to be app #1. Also take the DAT as early as possible. You may need to retake it.

or make alot of money while in undergrad and just pay off the school of your choice. if you cant accomplish this, then keep a decent gpa, above a 3.2, do some kind of extracurricular activity that deals with either manual dexterity or artistic talent, applpy as early as possible, do not blindly apply to schools, if your are one that decided to ejoy college a bit more and have lower chances of getting in like me, you would want to find out how many people from your state have gotten into the dental school you will be applying to (ie. i shouldnt have applyied to any WICHE schools), other than that the best advice is to do everything as easly as possible, but make sure you enjoy school while you're here. rememeber that durring interviews they are lookin for people with personality. so develop one durring school by doing alot of different things, good luck.

Korgturner and everyone else has given great advice. Definitely plan ahead and start to get your 'ducks in a row': map out when you are going to apply and take the DAT (that way you can start to strategize on when/how to study and coordinate your scholastic plans accordingly). In case you haven't picked up on it yet, applying early (i.e around the first of June) is very, very important.

Beyond that I would like to add that it is important to seperate your personal life from your scholastic career - don't base your emotions and self image on your test scores and grades. It's important to do well, but is also very important to be stable and sound, and like Korgtuner said, go out and have some fun and try to place things into perspective. I would also recommend that you develop and nurture interests outside of the classroom, whether it be volunteering, picking up a hobby, getting involved in campus or community causes, and the like. Now is the time when you will be cementing life-long trends, and as a dentist (or any professional for that matter), I believe it is important to have interests outside of the office so that you can have an identity which encompasses more than your office. It's great that you are thinking ahead. I wish you the best in your remaining years and upcoming career in dentistry! :thumbup:

Everyone has already given wonderful advice so I guess I'll just add my $0.02

If you really want to go into dentistry, definitely PLAN AHEAD for the application cycle. BEING EARLY is the KEY. It's true that there are plenty of people who apply late in the cycle and still get into their number one choice or at least a dental school, those numbers are quite statistically rare. I've known people with excellent stats across the board with very rounded personality who don't get in to a dental school at all because they applied late. Bottom line ==> APPLY EARLY.

Pick the schools you know you won't mind going to. Don't apply to a lot of schools just to improve your chances because that is a very costly process and if you're a well rounded applicant you will get into a dental school. I think 10 is a good avg number of schools to apply to. Depending on how confident you are with your application, applying to fewer schools will be fine too. Just don't put all your eggs into one basket since application process sometimes comes down to RANDOM luck.

And as always, enjoy the time you have in undergrad. It may be stressful to keep those grades up, study for the DAT, and doing the apps, but looking back it would be one of those times you'll find the most memorable. If you get the chance to I'd recommend go travel before you matriculate into a dental school. You'll enjoy the experience and it will refresh you for another 4 yrs of hard work. After all, once you're in D-school there won't be enough time to go on vacation and much less after you get out (you got a humongous debt to repay
:eek: while looking for a job)

That's just my two cents.

Precarious_Yups said:
Don't stress out too much... this is my el numero uno advice. I don't care how messed up you or your grades are, start getting your act together and take school seriously. 2nd year, you're 20 years old right? Get your degree ASAP (preferably not in bio or chem = better use of your time to enjoy school and easier to get good grades). Learn the basic pre-req materials, study for the DAT during Ochem II (semester system) and do well on this test the first time, don't give yourself a reason to repeat this test, there is no reason to. Apply early, not sure why? Trust us, I'm the 100th person telling you this and trust me it is the best advice so don't blow it. Be active and never stagnant. Always do something humanitarian and work at Dr. Goodvibes, DDS office. Don't work at a hospital or anything like that, keep it simple with dentistry and spend more time volunteering for people who need it (e.g. old folks, kids that need help, etc)... spend 50-100% more time at school (if possible) and while you're there get involved in student government (don't take a position which will require too much time, anything like an officer's commissioner is great) and do research... get published, 1 publication is all you need to separate yourself from everyone else. Talk to your chem teacher or dept head and start it ASAP, also you can do research for your dentist or for a MD, this would be clinical and more qualitative than analytical, as you would deal with in the lab. Choose your schools wisely, when you apply you have 2 approaches: apply to many schools and increase your odds, or to strategically apply to select schools. I opted for the first approach and think either way you'll be fine. Definately apply to: BU, NYU, Temple, and Case and other super popular schools. Add a few state schools to this mix and a couple pash schools like UPenn or something like that. Good luck to you.
Great advice.

...but I've never met a dentist who's still at work at 8:00 on Monday night. ;)

Thanks guys! I am bumping this up so other pre-dent and dent can share their experiences.

Three suggestions:

1. APPLY EARLY
2. Earn top grades in all of your classes. I'd say this for two reasons:
a. it will help you when it comes time to study for and take the DAT.​
b. a high GPA goes a looks really, really good​
3. Aim for a 20+ or better in each section on the DAT. 20's or better aren't absolutely necessary, but it puts the ball in your court. Interviews will feel more like recruiting sessions rather than you trying to sell yourself.

JavadiCavity said:
Three suggestions:

1. APPLY EARLY
2. Earn top grades in all of your classes. I'd say this for two reasons:
a. it will help you when it comes time to study for and take the DAT.​
b. a high GPA goes a looks really, really good​
3. Aim for a 20+ or better in each section on the DAT. 20's or better aren't absolutely necessary, but it puts the ball in your court. Interviews will feel more like recruiting sessions rather than you trying to sell yourself.
I agree, especially number 1. I started preparing for d-school almost 2 years ago, but never knew how much early submittion meant until now. I based solely on their deadline and thought a month or two prior would be sufficient. Now here I am. Waiting for my app to be fixed and sent out while others are waiting for Dec 1. I wish I found this website earlier.

1. Start saving money now - a little at a time can add up, and you will definitely need it at a moments notice when it's time to apply

2. Get your LOR's requested insanely early. Waiting on busy professors delays the process for you

3. Enjoy undergrad :)

4. If you live near a dental school, visit...make your presence known

5. Apply early...the earlier the better

Best wishes :)

Beachluvr