Post ph.d./ psy.d. application.... masters as plan B?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lraymarker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just submitted both Ph.D. and Psy. D. applications, and I don't know what to do next! I am looking for advice from someone in the Clinical Psychology field. Should I apply to masters programs or gain work experience/ research experience and re apply for programs next fall?
I got my B.A. in English a few years ago I have a decent GPA and I have okay GRE scores. I decided to go back to school about 6 months ago... so I lack both research and an extensive amount of clinical work. Needless to say I don't feel as though I am a very competitive applicant this fall but wanted to experience the application process, also who knows? I tend to get pretty lucky...

I am not sure if I should continue gaining clinical work experience while looking for research positions, and upping test scores or if I should apply for my masters as an expensive stepping stone towards my Ph.D./ Psy.D. ? My main concern is that I will not get into a Ph.D. program and will be a year further away from my goal of being a licensed clinician.

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you want a Ph.D or a Psy.D? What do you want to do ultimately?