rkaz

10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Hi guys, I know state licensing boards ask if you've ever taken time off while in residency or in practice. I am wondering how taking time off to do some of the things you've been waiting to do would be perceived. For some graduates, they might want to take 3 months post-residency to travel the world, as it would be hard to do this again once you are out and working in a practice and can't leave your patients. Or what if you wanted to take a year off post-residency to get your MPH, or to take 6 months after residency to get a certificate in acupuncture or some complementary training to your conventional medical practice? Would doing an extra degree or taking some alternative program be seen as something negative that you'd have to report to the licensing board that might result in consequences? I was just wondering about this. Residency is a long tiring process, and I'm hoping for some fun (or even something educational) for 6 months to a year before I settle down into practice. Thanks!

OP
rkaz

rkaz

10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Actually 3-9 months off post-residency would be more realistic than a year, since I still have to pay off my loans....

22031 Alum

At the baby factory.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Not a big deal. Most people find a job and start the process of getting their state license before they even graduate (so the licensing board doesn't even see a "gap"). At that point, your start date is between you and your new partners/employers. I ended up with 6 months off myself. It was nice after a tough residency, but student loans and erosion of surgical skills means it might not be the best idea for everyone.

OP
rkaz

rkaz

10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Thanks everyone for the reassurance. I'm really glad to know that taking some time off after graduation might be an option. :) I will likely move back to my home state once I finish residency.

RadOncDoc21

7+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
For what its worth I took off July and started back in mid August and while applying for credentials they asked about my gap month... I'm like really!

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
They'll always want you to explain any gaps in work history. But, again, unless the answer is jail, rehab or an inpatient mental institution, they won't care.

It's a good argument for getting a job, or at least a license, lined up before you graduate. No gap there.

Reactions: Winged Scapula