Post residency depression

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spiffycats

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a graduate from a very malignant program, just finished in June. Even though I have been away from there for over a month now, I am having really bad anxiiety and depression to the point where I am considering starting SSRI. How many attendings out there have taken SSRI? Or better yet, when will i start feeling better?
I managed to graduate from this terrible program, shouldnt I feel happy? Do many residents experience this?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a graduate from a very malignant program, just finished in June. Even though I have been away from there for over a month now, I am having really bad anxiiety and depression to the point where I am considering starting SSRI. How many attendings out there have taken SSRI? Or better yet, when will i start feeling better?
I managed to graduate from this terrible program, shouldnt I feel happy? Do many residents experience this?

How many attendings out there have taken SSRI?

Who knows? You haven’t figured out, medicine is still a field all these psychiatric diagnoses aren’t really talked about?

Or better yet, when will i start feeling better?

Are you studying for boards? Do you have a job? Do you have a family? Do you have loans? It may be soon if you have all those things in order. It maybe a while.

I managed to graduate from this terrible program, shouldnt I feel happy?

Yes. But also there is a sense of “loss.” Just like normal grieving process, you now have “lost” something you were trucking though for the last 3 years (residency) and 4 years (med school). You are allowed to feel this way.

Do many residents experience this?

I think it’s a normal process. You just have a give yourself some time to figure out what’s next. I would line up a job, maybe ask for a little sign on bonus, unwind a little before next chapter of my life.
Also learn to take care of yourself. We don’t do enough of that for ourselves. If you need someone to talk to, find a professional. I am partial to psychiatrist who are trained in psychoanalysis. If you do need to start in SSRI, you can this way.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user

What are you doing now? Are you working or just taking a break?

I've been out now also for about 3 weeks and I've found that if I don't do something with my time it actually makes me more antsy -- maybe it's the transition from working 80+ hour weeks now down to almost nothing (if I'm not on service as a locums hospitalist). I'm studying almost full time for boards but also found the time to go to museums, go on long bike rides...things that made me feel a lot better because I didn't have time to do this even just a month ago when I was still on the floors.

Also learn to take care of yourself. We don’t do enough of that for ourselves. If you need someone to talk to, find a professional. I am partial to psychiatrist who are trained in psychoanalysis. If you do need to start in SSRI, you can this way.

+1. Good vibes your way :)

Members don't see this ad :)
What are you doing now? Are you working or just taking a break?

I've been out now also for about 3 weeks and I've found that if I don't do something with my time it actually makes me more antsy -- maybe it's the transition from working 80+ hour weeks now down to almost nothing (if I'm not on service as a locums hospitalist). I'm studying almost full time for boards but also found the time to go to museums, go on long bike rides...things that made me feel a lot better because I didn't have time to do this even just a month ago when I was still on the floors.

+1. Good vibes your way :)
I am working part time, 3 days a week, which I feel really dose help with the anxiety. I dont start full time til early September. I am going out and spending time with friends and family. I almost feel like my body is in such shock now from not having to wake up at 5 am everyday and work 12 hour shifts, that my insomnia and anxiety are results of all this extra energy that I previously did not have saved due to working insane hour.

If you feel clinically depressed you should see a psychiatrist and get evaluated. There’s no reason to do this self diagnosis stuff.

I think it’s a weird transition because most folks have been continuously in school or training since high school as an adult - and now they’re officially “for real” in the real world. This is a tough situation to deal with because now you go to work to... work and make money and do something you like, not to try and teach and impress others (I guess unless you’re a forever academic... no thanks) and sometimes people forget to develop a life and interests outside of work. I would start cultivating that now. Take up hiking or biking, painting, writing, do something which you enjoy etc.

Maybe the program seemed more malignant to you because of undiagnosed depression