Post-Residency Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aamartin81

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for information about post-residency training/specialization. I am wondering if it is similar to orthopedics where upon the completion of residency you go on to an additional year (or two) of fellowship. I.e. are there established fellowships for general cosmetic surgery, facial surgery, hand, etc... Thanks.

Adam

Members don't see this ad.

I know this tends to be a board where questions can sit for a while before being answered, but if you know the answer to this, I would appreciate a reply. I'm not looking for more than 50 words. Thanks.

Adam

conceivably, residents can elongate their formal training periods indefinitely... :laugh:

after a prs fellowship, one could pursue additional training in hand surgery, microvascular surgery, and of course aesthetic surgery, to name 3 that i know of. these post-fellowship training programs range in length of training from 6 months to 3 years.

i know of one prs fellow who will be doing aesthetic training after completion of his fellowship this year, and another who is going to do microvascular training. these extra training periods are helpful for those that choose to subspecialize. each of these programs confers extra ability, but is also somewhat of a marketing tool for academic/private practice advancement.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only fellowship that is uniformly 1 year is Hand, as its required to take your CAQ exam in it. Everything else that falls under the loose umbrella of post-graduate fellowships can vary from a few weeks to a year. The lack of standarization reflects the fact that there really is no accredidation process for them. There are a number (but not all) of the Craniofacial fellowships that participate in a SFmatch process & I think all of those are one year.

The ones I know of include (for some of these, there may only be one program available):

Hand/micro

Craniofacial- mostly focused on congenital issues, but more have retooled to include some adult aesthetic surgery to stay relavent. These fellows are also usually farmed out to staff some facial fractures with the PRS residents in most programs.

Pediatric (which overlaps alot with the craniofacial ones as far as I can tell, but may include some of the congenital hand work and reconstructive surgery issues @ children's hospitals - pressure sores, trauma, etc..)

Reconstructive Microsurgery - these are mostly oncologic reconstructive fellowships (rather then doing much hand trauma microsurgery with the hand fellowships)

-head & neck Oncology
-wound management
-oculoplastic
-peripheral nerve
-aesthetic
-reconstructive surgery (more flap based without a microsurgery empasis)
-burns
- laser
- PRS research fellowships
- Interplast/Operation Smile- they have a one year travelling fellowship available where you go all over doing relief work with alot of congenital work and general plastic surgery

Thank you both for the information, I appreciate your help!

Good luck to you,

Adam