Post-test anxiety vent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dgt329

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just took the GRE today and got a 168 Q and a 161 V (I know, nothing to complain about). The thing that gets to me is the AW section. I feel like I'm going to be teetering between a 3.5 and a 4.0 (pretty strong argument, not the best issue), which are not fun numbers to be teetering between :( I'm already concerned since a lot of schools have a "recommended" AW score of 4.0 (I'm mainly looking at schools in Southern California). I know that most schools use a computerized weeding-out system, so my question is this: If I fall below a "recommended" AW score by .5, would my high Q and V scores be enough to keep me from being deemed an unqualified applicant? I guess I just want to know exactly what schools mean by "recommended." Assume all other stats are moderately competitive. I'm sorry that this is clutter, it's just that these next 10-15 days are gonna drive me crazy and I had to get it out!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't worry about it until you actually see your score. Most people get a higher score than they thought they did! They also recommend a ~150 quant, but yours is 168 (superior). You don't have anything to worry about. :)

When I took the GRE, I thought my AW was teetering around 3.5, and I ended up with a 5.5! So don't worry too much until you actually know what your score is. And judging from your high verbal score, your AW is probably higher than you think it is!

Members don't see this ad :)
Relax. I find it highly unlikely that someone with such high V/Q scores would get less than a 4.

Update- 4.0 on AW. Miracles do happen