Post the lowest salaries in job postings you can find.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

$25-35 an hour in Philly burbs. My lead tech makes over $20/hour 10 minutes up the road. LMAO.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Sorry, but that ad is fake. There is no such pharmacy called "Shared Values" in Pennsylvania. In Abington, there are six pharmacies (2 Rite Aid, 1 each CVS, Alliance, Abington, and Abington Memorial Hospital) according to pals.pa.gov. Some of the text is lifted from the Rite Aid standard pharmacist posting. Other pieces match equally fishy ads such as the one below posted 20 days ago. Anyone tempted to apply to Shared Values? With an equally fake resume, of course.
1590636578489.png

Reactions: 2 users
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I'm a c/o 2020 new grad and am in the position of trying to make the decision of whether or not it will be worth it to spend the time, money, and effort to study for and take the NAPLEX and get licensed in at least one state. Having said that, I simply came across the post after doing a random search for pharmacist jobs on Indeed.com while leaving the "location" field blank.

From a reliable source - Marijuana retail dispensary in NE US part time pay pharmacist very low 30's per hour , no benefits. Somehow thought those placs would pay decently. Guess not.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Working in medical world that having salary between 200-300$ a month

Normally, that is In South East Asia countries.

I saw an ad for a PIC at a brand new local pharmacy recently for $48 per hr. That’s $18 per hour less per hour than I’m making (as staff). That’s a hell no!

I just learned that the federal minimum wage is now $10.80/hr this year. You might be better off flipping burgers at Mickie D's than becoming a pharmacist.

Lots of places already have $15/hr min wage.

G & G Pharmacy
Staff Pharmacist
Williston, ND

Easy Apply

G & G Pharmacy
Full-time Staff Pharmacist

Salary 49k-70k anually

Are you looking to get more from your pharmacy career? How about getting to know your patient's by name? How about working in an innovative and progressive pharmacy setting with today's latest technology and automation? If you answered yes to any of these, or all of these, G&G is where you want to be!

We are looking for a pharmacist who is fun, fast, and friendly and enjoys working in a fast pace work environment. The position would require the verification and approval of prescriptions, supervising pharmacy technicians, pharmacy interns, and cashiers. We expect all of our staff pharmacists to implement company initiatives to increase productivity and uphold operational standards including performance metrics, safety, and compliance.

Previous retail pharmacy experience is preferred. Applicants must have either a Bachelor's Degree in Pharmacy or their Pharm.D. and be licensed in North Dakota with all held licenses in good standing. Certified Immunizer is preferred by not required.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Lots of places already have $15/hr min wage.

Yeah, I would figure that the minimum wage would be higher than the federal in many places. When you consider the cost of 6 years of school (little income from a part-time job or none + student loan debt), over which time you could potentially get raises/advance to higher positions, and the fact that the job outlook is looking so grim right now, leaving you with over $200k of debt and possibly more, and even IF you manage to land a job you are possibly looking at only $70k/year + a miserable lifestyle, I could see how pursing a full-time minimum wage job could easily be justified over going to pharmacy school.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I would figure that the minimum wage would be higher than the federal in many places. When you consider the cost of 6 years of school (little income from a part-time job or none + student loan debt), over which time you could potentially get raises/advance to higher positions, and the fact that the job outlook is looking so grim right now, leaving you with over $200k of debt and possibly more, and even IF you manage to land a job you are possibly looking at only $70k/year + a miserable lifestyle, I could see how pursing a full-time minimum wage job could easily be justified over going to pharmacy school.

Not to mention you can work anywhere and have way less stress.

I just learned that the federal minimum wage is now $10.80/hr this year.

$10.80 is only for federal contractors. Otherwise it's $7.25 as shown in this poster hanging in thousands of breakrooms across the nation:
1594482408740.png

The Wage and Hour Division (WHD) of the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) announced a minimum wage increase of $0.20 to $10.80 per hour to be paid to workers performing work on direct federal contracts and subcontracts covered by Executive Order 13658. Federally assisted contracts are not affected. The rate goes into effect on January 1, 2020.

$10.80 is only for federal contractors. Otherwise it's $7.25 as shown in this poster hanging in thousands of breakrooms across the nation:
View attachment 312516

The Wage and Hour Division (WHD) of the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) announced a minimum wage increase of $0.20 to $10.80 per hour to be paid to workers performing work on direct federal contracts and subcontracts covered by Executive Order 13658. Federally assisted contracts are not affected. The rate goes into effect on January 1, 2020.

I see. I actually did see the federal contractor minimum wage in a breakroom and assumed that to be the minimum wage because I could not find $7.25 anywhere in the breakroom. I didn't know what was meant by "federal contractors", I just assumed that was just legal jargon referring to all employers.

Now I feel a bit stupid. Thanks for the info and sorry for my misinformation.

Here's a list of state minimum wages, though:

Minimum wages are still $10+ in some places. And you still might be better off flipping burgers. :p

Last edited:
I was once offered a drug safety position for $25/hr at a generic manufacturer.

Read on reddit that a region at Walgreens new grads are grad intern pay until December when Walgreens can them offer pharmacist contracts

• Haha
Read on reddit that a region at Walgreens new grads are grad intern pay until December when Walgreens can them offer pharmacist contracts

I heard from a new grad that she’s stuck at grad intern until a position opens up. Even though she’s now licensed.

$25/hr x 20 hrs a week for 6 months, then an upgrade to $41/hr x 24 hrs after that (if they even honor that promise)?

That's going from $23.5k to $46.2k/year. Ouch. And residency at $50k/year is considered "cheap labor?" I am laughing so hard in the face of those who still think this...

$25/hr x 20 hrs a week for 6 months, then an upgrade to $41/hr x 24 hrs after that (if they even honor that promise)?

That's going from $23.5k to $46.2k/year. Ouch. And residency at $50k/year is considered "cheap labor?" I am laughing so hard in the face of those who still think this...

Those who consider residency at 50k/year believe it be "cheap labor" probably go off of the assumption that residents have to put in extra hours after work, i.e. weekends to finish projects, etc. Most residents say they put 50-70 hours/week vs your typical 40 hour/week retail pharmacist. Residency does provide you with valuable skills, so I say residency is worth it.

But looks like with your numbers, you're comparing part-time hours to a full-time resident.

But looks like with your numbers, you're comparing part-time hours to a full-time resident.
Comparable because working 20-32 hours in retail is not by choice so even if you wanted to work more you can't, just like how teachers aren't paid during the summer so it doesn't matter if you work or go on vacation during the summer. Survey any new grad retail pharmacist who doesn't work 40 hours and ask them whether they would prefer their current hours or a set 40 hour work week. 95% of them will say they want 40 hours.

Yet this poster named Sleepingdoc is telling pre-pharms that they can make 100-120k working 32 hours per week when they become pharmacists, because that's what Google says.

I'd say that in today's climate it makes sense to go for a residency unless you have another guaranteed position or absolutely hate hospitals and can't stand the idea of spending a year at one.
1) guaranteed income for 1 year vs. unknown months without pay until you find a job
2) guaranteed income for 1 year vs. possibility of being axed or getting hours reduced at any moment with the layoffs happening or likely
3) the same place every day vs. floating who knows how far and wide
4) broadens future employment opportunities
5) pay difference is not that great given the hours and hourly rates offered at retail and the time it would take to land a retail position

In light of the above, if I were a P4 student today, I would absolutely try for a residency unless I got a fellowship (which let you know before residencies have to be ranked anyway), had family members who could guarantee me a job (as in owned their own company, not some vague promise of putting me in front of the hiring manager), or really hated hospitals. Nothing stops you from looking for jobs in addition to going through the residency application process and seeing what works out the best for you...

Kaiser northern California pays outpatient techs over 30/hr

• Haha
Kaiser northern California pays outpatient techs over 30/hr
One of the best outpatient tech pay to my knowledge.

I'm a per diem Kaiser pharmacist making $93/hr.

• Wow
One of the best outpatient tech pay to my knowledge.

I'm a per diem Kaiser pharmacist making $93/hr.
This is what non-profit healthcare looks like— well paid healthcare professionals with great benefits. Guess what their overnight pharmacists make— CVS overnights would vomit knowing they could be getting paid time and half at Kaiser instead of the dinky $2-6/hr extra they’re getting at CVS.

San Francisco expected minimum wage will reach ~$25 in the next couple of years, might as well work at McDonalds! DEBT-FREE

• Haha
This is what non-profit healthcare looks like— well paid healthcare professionals with great benefits. Guess what their overnight pharmacists make— CVS overnights would vomit knowing they could be getting paid time and half at Kaiser instead of the dinky $2-6/hr extra they’re getting at CVS.

Whoa. How do they afford to pay so much?

San Francisco expected minimum wage will reach ~$25 in the next couple of years, might as well work at McDonalds! DEBT-FREE

Or In-N-Out! Their managers make over 150k!

• Haha
Not surprised considering they pay their employees almost $20/hour to make burgers
Even some of pharmacy interns don’t make that much in their last year. It’s crazy how unfair it is. I see CS / engineering Interns make 22 bucks/ hour right out sophomore year for their first internship.

Even some of pharmacy interns don’t make that much in their last year. It’s crazy how unfair it is. I see CS / engineering Interns make 22 bucks/ hour right out sophomore year for their first internship.

CS interns in my area make $32/hr to start with a well-known consumer electronics products manufacturer. Compare that to the $40/hr that new grad pharmacists are being offered to work overnights in large cities like Atlanta at LTC facilities.

And sadly, the new grads will lap up these jobs.

CS interns in my area make $32/hr to start with a well-known consumer electronics products manufacturer. Compare that to the $40/hr that new grad pharmacists are being offered to work overnights in large cities like Atlanta at LTC facilities.

Which route did you take bootcamp or Masters??

Not sure about that $40 offer. That puts some regions a full double over that. Plus ATL is ATL....

Which route did you take bootcamp or Masters??

Not sure about that $40 offer. That puts some regions a full double over that. Plus ATL is ATL....

For now, I'm actually going with one of the companies that provides a free paid bootcamp in exchange for a commitment to work for the company for a pre-determined duration of time (usually 1-2 yrs). I figured this option made the most sense considering that I'll essentially be getting paid to learn CS. Also, at my age (early 30s), I really don't like the idea of having a 2-yr employment gap on my resume.

By taking the paid bootcamp/OJT route, I'm saving time AND being presented with the opportunity to move to a much nicer area than I've ever lived in before. My city is regularly ranked as one of the least desirable medium-sized cities to live in by multiple publications and websites, and I harbor the same sentiment, which is why I've mentioned several times on the forums that I want to move to a nicer area sooner than later.

Even if I had gotten the pharmacy license, my chances of finding a pharmacist job in a nicer city would've been slim-to-none; moreover, what's even sadder is the fact that not even residency-trained pharmacists are able to get hospital staffing jobs in my city. What does it say about the state of pharmacy when residency-trained pharmacists can't even get entry-level staffing jobs in one of the most undesirable cities in the country?

BTW, the $40/hr to work for an LTC company is legit; I know the person who received the job offer and have seen their offer letter. Supposedly that's "pretty standard" for an LTC pharmacist starting salary.

Can we create a hedgehog CS career thread already?

If they think it's unfair then they should have worked for In-N-Out instead of going to pharmacy school.

Can we create a hedgehog CS career thread already?

He asked me what I ended up deciding to do so I answered. By all means, don't let me derail anything; feel free to continue discussing the latest bottom-scraping salary benchmarks and 100+ applicants-to-positions ratios.

If they think it's unfair then they should have worked for In-N-Out instead of going to pharmacy school.
Lol they probably didn’t know. I didn’t even know until I saw it on my last in n out trip.

He asked me what I ended up deciding to do so I answered. By all means, don't let me derail anything; feel free to continue discussing the latest bottom-scraping salary benchmarks and 100+ applicants-to-positions ratios.

Good. These threads need to happen. So people see this **** show the profession has become. Maybe prepharms will learn to get out

The problem with the prepharms is they're a generation of snowflakes. Each one has been told they are special and were schooled to believe that- as individuals- they''ll always be the exception to any given the rule. Riddle me this- if everyone is special, does the term "special" mean anything? None of what we're saying applies to them as a collective in their own minds... It's maddening, and it keeps feeding the beast with warm bodies that encourage the **** schools and evil chains to continue their nonsense, so the profession is allowed to continue to spiral downwards...

For now, I'm actually going with one of the companies that provides a free paid bootcamp in exchange for a commitment to work for the company for a pre-determined duration of time (usually 1-2 yrs). I figured this option made the most sense considering that I'll essentially be getting paid to learn CS. Also, at my age (early 30s), I really don't like the idea of having a 2-yr employment gap on my resume.

By taking the paid bootcamp/OJT route, I'm saving time AND being presented with the opportunity to move to a much nicer area than I've ever lived in before. My city is regularly ranked as one of the least desirable medium-sized cities to live in by multiple publications and websites, and I harbor the same sentiment, which is why I've mentioned several times on the forums that I want to move to a nicer area sooner than later.

Even if I had gotten the pharmacy license, my chances of finding a pharmacist job in a nicer city would've been slim-to-none; moreover, what's even sadder is the fact that not even residency-trained pharmacists are able to get hospital staffing jobs in my city. What does it say about the state of pharmacy when residency-trained pharmacists can't even get entry-level staffing jobs in one of the most undesirable cities in the country?

BTW, the $40/hr to work for an LTC company is legit; I know the person who received the job offer and have seen their offer letter. Supposedly that's "pretty standard" for an LTC pharmacist starting salary.

So you have a pharmacy degree but you don't have a license?