Post-WL Updates as Non-Trad?

Started by Sonderist
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sonderist

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Curious to know if there's any dogma on what sort of updates are expected/common amongst non-trads? I'm fortunate to be working in research where I may have a pub/presentation to include in the coming weeks, but otherwise I'm wondering what sort of things a non-trad might be able to point to as 'significant.'
 
I send several updates throughout the year to my school (I was on WL since early Fall till late spring ).
I sort of included everything into one letter:
1) changed the courses I was taking in spring semester (non trad but was taking more classes),
2) grades for Fall
3) promotion at work (clinical job, more pt related responsibilities),
4) additional volunteering position .

I know my school loves letters of update (one of admins told me that ), so I knew it was a plus in my school . But I really don’t know about other schools .
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The only things that are worth updates are, and major award or scholarship, a semester of great grades, a publication.
You also have to make sure that the school accepts updates.
Abstracts accepted for presentation being distinct from publication I assume? The meeting is for a key journal in the field, if that makes any difference.

Appreciate the insights either way!
 
I send several updates throughout the year to my school (I was on WL since early Fall till late spring ).
I sort of included everything into one letter:
1) changed the courses I was taking in spring semester (non trad but was taking more classes),
2) grades for Fall
3) promotion at work (clinical job, more pt related responsibilities),
4) additional volunteering position .

I know my school loves letters of update (one of admins told me that ), so I knew it was a plus in my school . But I really don’t know about other schools .
Cementing the reality that I'll probably need to suck it up after this cycle and do some grade repair –– thanks for sharing!
 
  • Haha
Reactions: M&L
Cementing the reality that I'll probably need to suck it up after this cycle and do some grade repair –– thanks for sharing!
I am laughing because I got acceptance on my THIRD CYCLE. It was so painful . So I can feel your frustration with all my heart .
Ppl actually started telling me that I need to do somethkng else (loved ones)