Post Your ROL 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone else repeatedly check their certified ROL on NRMP to make sure they put everything in right? Or in case it somehow changed on its own?

Or is this terrible cluster C behavior? Or a variant of normal?

:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure with my #1 and #2
Could you please help me with others
- UN Reno
- UCSF Fresno
- UCLA San Fernando V
- USC
- Sedars-Sinai
- Loma Linda
- OHSU

Nika, just curious...what didn't you like about USC?

It's not my rank list, just random order. I know your opinion about USC and I agree with you. How about others program?

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Medical University of South Carolina
2. Vanderbilt
3. Emory
4. University of Arkansas
5. LSU-New Orleans
6. UT-Southwestern
7. Austin
8. UTMB

1. Medical University of South Carolina
2. Vanderbilt
3. Emory
4. University of Arkansas
5. LSU-New Orleans
6. UT-Southwestern
7. Austin
8. UTMB

I go to school in the SE and I have heard so many good things about MUSC. Great choices. Vanderbilt and Emory too.

1. Austin
2. University of Colorado
3. UTMB Child
4. UTMB Adult
5. Texas A&M, UABirmingham, Banner Good Samaritan, Tulane

yeah, that 5 spot on down is still a game-time decision... only a couple hours left :p

1. Columbia
2. Cornell
3. NYU
4. Mt. Sinai
5. Albert Einstein / Montefiore
6. Beth Israel
7. St. Vincent's
8. LIJ

Dude, you have to admit, that's the LEAST creative rank list POSSIBLE ;)

Ha! Agreed. A very sober, very orthodox ranking of NYC programs. Something one might come up with without even interviewing. Good luck, winchester1615!

Hahaha. Thanks guys. ;)

I swear this was a thoughtful decision! First criteria was had to be in NYC for family reasons (LIJ is at the bottom simply because of distance from Manhattan). Second criteria was I wanted a university based academic program with strong research opportunities. Truly, it came down to Columbia and Cornell and I've agonized over this for weeks, but ultimately clicked better with the residents at Columbia, though I would be thrilled to end up at either.

Or maybe I'm just boring... :)

I can't imagine feeling comfortable at both Cornell and NYU. They are such different places! Personally, I'd choose NYU in a heartbeat...

1. Yale (Yale-New Haven)
2. Yale (St Raphael)
3. Mt Sinai
4. Emory
5. Maryland
6. UNC
7. Case/UH
8. Brown
9. LIJ
10. Palmetto/USC
11. MUSC
12. UVA
13. Jefferson
14. Temple University

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Dartmouth
2. BU
3. UVM
4. Tufts
5. Maine Medical Center
6. Harvard South Shore
7. Institute of Living, Hartford

1. UCLA
2. NYU
3. Mount Sinai
4. UC-Davis
5. Einstein
6. UCSF
7. Emory
8. USC
9. UCSD
10. Stanford
11. LIJ
12. Columbia
13. Pitt

Good Luck to all! May we all get our 1st choice and or best fit... :luck:

I'm still attempting to remain anonymous, so I'm leaving my home institution outta this list...but it's secretly somehwere in here (not 1) :

1. USC Palmetto/Columbia
2. Univ of Arizona/Tucson
3. Vanderbilt
4. Wake Forest
5. Emory

I interviewed & did not rank Austin. Loved the PD & the town but the housing is way too high, and it's too far from all of my peeps.

Good luck to us all!!!!

OMG, our fate is sealed my friends!

1. Duke
2. Yale
3. Hopkins
4. UNC

5-10 could have all been #5 and I would be happy at any of them (Vandy, Brown, U of M, UVA, UC, Wash U), but will keep their order anonymous.

Its over and done with...no turning back my friends!

1. USC (Los Angeles)
2. UCSF Fresno
3. U. Colorado
4. Loma Linda
5. U. of Arizona

#'s 6-9 ranked as well, but does anyone really ever go past #5 (or #3 for that matter) in psychiatry?

1) UCLA-SFV
2) Loma Linda
3) USC
4) UCLA-Kern
5) UNR
6) UNLV
7) UMDNJ-RWJ
8)Beth Israel
9) Temple
10) Drexel

1. Mt Sinai
2. Harvard Longwood
3. Northwestern
4. U Penn
5. MUSC
6. Emory
7. U Colorado
8. Boston Medical College
9. St. Vincents
10. Georgetown
11. Beth Israel
12. UNC

Comments:

Northwestern has a new chair, from Washington University, he starts March 1. Hopefully he'll help beef up their research. I love Chicago, couldn't help it!

Emory--Atlanta is hard to overcome, it's too bad because they seem really great!

Good luck everyone.

Bluespruce, EXCELLENT first choice!!!! ;)

It probably is, but it's that same tacky curiosity that explains why anyone even reads this thread.

Good point.

Further, I fail to see why this thread is any tackier than others on an anonymous message board. If anything, I think it can be helpful. I have had various PM conversations with others over the years thanks to postings on SDN. A thread like this can be helpful for those with specific questions regarding our impressions of certain programs, etc...

It certainly isn't any tackier than proclaiming tactlessness on complete strangers.

Good luck to all us us in the match!

1-SUNY Upstate
2-Brown
3-UF
4-Morehouse
5-MSU-Kalamazoo
6-UMDNJ-RWJ-Piscattaway
7-Albert Einstein-Phili
8-Jefferson
9-St.Lukes Roosevelt
10-Beth Israel
11-Albany
12-MCG
13-Mt.Sinai-Elmhurst

I don't understand. What is tacky?

1. Thomas Jefferson University
2. University of Pittsburgh
3. University of Virginia
4. University of Maryland
5. University of Arizona
6. Albert Einstein- Phila
7. Temple University
8. Banner Good Samaritan- Phoenix

1. UCLA/NPI
2. Pittsburgh/WPIC
3. Univ of Cincinnati
4. Albert Einstein/Montefiore
5. George Washington Univ
6. Mount Sinai
7. Dartmouth
8. Mayo Clinic
9. Case Western Univ
10. Maryland/Sheppard Pratt

This 20 days is torture. I wish I could take a 20-day nap. I just finished all my electives. What am I going to do with myself this month?

This 20 days is torture. I wish I could take a 20-day nap. I just finished all my electives. What am I going to do with myself this month?

We've all been through this. I remember feeling like I was in a complete state of limbo last year. We (fellow med students) ended up really enjoying that period, though. We got together about three or four times a week and watched just about every TV show on (esp. American Idol, the Rome series, and Deadwood :laugh:) and had wine parties to keep our minds from thinking about the match. One day about 6 of us took a day off for "residency related issues" (i.e. played hooky) and watched the entire Lord of the Rings extended version back to back. I know, we're a bunch of nerds :oops:....But it was a fun time!

We've all been through this. I remember feeling like I was in a complete state of limbo last year. We (fellow med students) ended up really enjoying that period, though. We got together about three or four times a week and watched just about every TV show on (esp. American Idol, the Rome series, and Deadwood :laugh:) and had wine parties to keep our minds from thinking about the match. One day about 6 of us took a day off for "residency related issues" (i.e. played hooky) and watched the entire Lord of the Rings extended version back to back. I know, we're a bunch of nerds :oops:....But it was a fun time!

Unfortunately, I have a bunch of similarly motivated MS4s who are supposed to be showing up everyday on the psychiatry service this month. All I can do is remind them that if they don't pass the rotation, their match results are moot! :smuggrin:

Unfortunately, I have a bunch of similarly motivated MS4s who are supposed to be showing up everyday on the psychiatry service this month. All I can do is remind them that if they don't pass the rotation, their match results are moot! :smuggrin:

I don't want to give anyone bad ideas and suggest not showing up. :oops:

So, please MS4's, if you're going to play hooky, make sure you get it approved, as we did. ;)

Ouch!

There you go again. Pooping on the party. :mad:

I've always wondered why there is such a lag between the deadline to submit ROL and when they are reported. In theory, everything is computerized and They probably could the the algorithm 5? 10? 500+ times? just over one weekend.

It's almost like one of those rebate scams where they promise you a mail in rebate, but you have to fill out a form, attach all this garbage and then you get your $$, 12 weeks later... :laugh:

Really? Maybe I'm a little different but I LOVE:love: this limbo period. For me (b/c I'm ready to get out and move out of the city where my med school is located) it's exciting not knowing where I or any classmates are going to end up in the next four years. Now that the list is out of my hands and control, for better or worse, I like the anticipation and uncertainty. Change is in the air, and that's fun - makes life interesting!!

Really? Maybe I'm a little different but I LOVE:love: this limbo period. For me (b/c I'm ready to get out and move out of the city where my med school is located) it's exciting not knowing where I or any classmates are going to end up in the next four years. Now that the list is out of my hands and control, for better or worse, I like the anticipation and uncertainty. Change is in the air, and that's fun - makes life interesting!!

I wish I could chill out like this. Actually, I'll probably look back and think it was a great time. I'm making the mistake of having my heart set on one thing. :confused:

I've always wondered why there is such a lag between the deadline to submit ROL and when they are reported. In theory, everything is computerized and They probably could the the algorithm 5? 10? 500+ times? just over one weekend.

It's almost like one of those rebate scams where they promise you a mail in rebate, but you have to fill out a form, attach all this garbage and then you get your $$, 12 weeks later... :laugh:

With today's computer power, the entire match could probably be run a few minutes.

With today's computer power, the entire match could probably be run a few minutes.

Yep. My point exactly. With how long they take to process the results, you'd think they are doing it all by hand.

I personally don't mind waiting, but I'm still puzzled on what really goes on during that time.

Yep. My point exactly. With how long they take to process the results, you'd think they are doing it all by hand.

I personally don't mind waiting, but I'm still puzzled on what really goes on during that time.

It takes a while for med students' personal checks to clear. Hopefully next year they will get with the times and only accept bribes via credit card.

Close. The match algorithm was written in a variant of FORTRAN, and the hardware that can run it requires punch cards and a herd of oxen to power the three remaining modded-Atari 2600s available to run it.

That, or they have to wait for lightning to strike the clock tower at precisely 11:59 on March 20th to generate the 1.21 jiggawatts required to run the backup system located on Sevo Terrace in Republika Absurdistani.

Close. The match algorithm was written in a variant of FORTRAN, and the hardware that can run it requires punch cards and a herd of oxen to power the three remaining modded-Atari 2600s available to run it.

That, or they have to wait for lightning to strike the clock tower at precisely 11:59 on March 20th to generate the 1.21 jiggawatts required to run the backup system located on Sevo Terrace in Republika Absurdistani.

wow! That was elaborate. :laugh:

You sure as hell better get your number one, because passing up on someone this creative is a crime :p

Nicely done!

1. St. Luke's Roosevelt:love:
2. Mt. Sinai
3. Beth Isreal
4. GW
5. Georgetown
6 UIC
7 Northwestern
8 U of C
9 Temple
10 Thomas Jefferson
11 Howard